Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
This is my favourite sentence from the whole pitch:

You haters simply don't get it: they aren't out to make a buck, they are doing this to end the suffering of millions. I think I'll donate my money to them - it's the least I can do.
But the perfect Reader needs good software for reading in multiple formats. It's not just Android apps. You want good reading apps. For example, you want to be able to read Kindle eBooks (both KF8 & Mobi) with full typesetting without the need for KFX. You want to have the same settings as a Kindle and more advanced options to give more control. You want RMDSk like Kobo has but you want full ePub 2 support. You also want a similar program to fully handle ePub 3. You want plenty of storage (8 gigs would do). You want 2gigs of ram for running other apps. You want separate ram for storage for your apps/OS. You want a beefy battery. Better then what's out there now. You want the battery user replaceable. You want a better processor. At least a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor. You want a larger screen (6.8 or 7"). You want wireless charging. You want bluetooth. You want the ability to add in your own fonts. You want Advanced font control. You want a non-glass backed screen. You want it not to be just another Reader with nothing special going for it like the one they are going to be making.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #92
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
As for people worried about crowdfunding, isn't that essentially what Amazon did for the Echo, and Fire TV? They took pre-orders and authorized credit cards to make certain the buyer would likely to be able to complete the purchase.

I doubt very few independent start ups have the resources to not need crowdfunding.
Amazon wasn't crowdfunding those products. There was no risk involved for any buyer (aside from maybe not liking the product perhaps). Nor was the money being used to subsidize or enable Amazon to scale up manufacturing.

The odds of Amazon actually producing and shipping the Echo or the Fire TV was very nearly 100%, give or take a millionth of a percentage. They were likely in the process of manufacturing and warehousing the products already and people's pre-order money would have made no difference.

The odds that Good eReader produces a product to scale here is far lower than that, and given the lack of polish in the pitch, I'd peg it at maybe 5-10%. Successful crowdfunding efforts are utterly difficult, and I've seen with my own eyes how quickly they fall apart after a small management error. Crowdfunding remains a great tool for startups, I agree, but the bones of those who came before should be a warning sign.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #93
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The new Onyx T68+ has 1GB RAM, which, as you say, will be a lot better for running apps. There's a good reason that the current eInk Android devices run Android 4.0; it's a lot less resource-hungry than the later releases.
Always good for have more memory.

I saw in the comment they promise to update to marshmallow, which is silly. A device like this hardly needs the latest and greatest, rather the simplest and least resource hungry. Most android apps only require something like gingerbread anyway.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Always good for have more memory.

I saw in the comment they promise to update to marshmallow, which is silly. A device like this hardly needs the latest and greatest, rather the simplest and least resource hungry. Most android apps only require something like gingerbread anyway.
I certainly didn't find anything that I wanted to run on my T68 that wouldn't run on Android 4.0. Things like Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader ran very well indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #95
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is news to me. I have never heard about Amazon authorizing a charge on pre-orders. Not even on orders that are not shipped yet - Amazon doesn't charge or authorize until they have the product to be processed for shipping. 3rd party merchands selling at Amazon, different story.

You got any source about the pre-authorizing credit cards RE: Echo and Fire TV?
Neither the Echo or the Fire TV, but the pre-orders I did in the last 3 months were not billed until they were shipped.
One physical, one digital.

I think what mycurlylocks meant was that you have to have a valid credit card attached to the account to do pre-orders.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #96
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
As for people worried about crowdfunding, isn't that essentially what Amazon did for the Echo, and Fire TV? They took pre-orders and authorized credit cards to make certain the buyer would likely to be able to complete the purchase.

I doubt very few independent start ups have the resources to not need crowdfunding.
Amazon is a multi-billion dollar company with a great deal of trust and accountability.

Also, they never process credit card charges until the product ships.

Independent startups usually don't have that trust and accountability, which is why relatively few of them become truly successful through crowdfunding campaigns.
It's also why it would be nice to have at least a few safeguards -- like, for example, the Fixed Funding arrangement, where if a campaign doesn't meet the minimum amount they claim to need, Indiegogo/Kickstarter/whatever automatically refunds the money.
Another nice thing is when the campaign in question has a great answer to the question of "what have you done so far?"

It would help their case if the campaign launcher had a good name in the online community. It wouldn't help them with accountability, but it would help a lot with trust.

Bottom line is, too many things smell fishy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #97
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Neither the Echo or the Fire TV, but the pre-orders I did in the last 3 months were not billed until they were shipped.
One physical, one digital.
I pre-ordered the FireTV stick.
They charged when it shipped.

I have a pre-order in place right now.
No charge yet.

More, my experience with Amazon Payments on third party stores is also good.
Good enough that, if available, I'll go through them rather than straight through the credit card. Right nowI trust Amazon Payments more than Paypal.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-25-2015 at 01:05 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I pre-ordered the FireTV stick.
They charged when it shipped.

I have a pre-order in place right now.
No charge yet.
Amazon never charge until they ship.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #99
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Deleted.

Last edited by Rizla; 10-25-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Rizla, you asked the very reasonable question, before you edited your post, why it is that people dislike GoodEReader. The answer is that they used to be a front for the very worst kind of pirate book site: the sort which charge people money to download pirated books. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85235

They may perhaps have cleaned up their act but the old saying that a leopard doesn't change its spots applies, and many people have serious qualms about their business ethics due to their shady past.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM   #101
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Sites that started as pirates can became legitimate and very important for their sector. Crunchyroll is about a completely different sort of intellectual property, but it is a great example of those, I subscribed them when they went legit and I am very glad they are successful (reported 700.000 subscribers last week and that is absolutely huge for the sector).

The problem about Good E-Reader is that even if they went legal, their reporting is biased and badly presented. Biased reporting doesn't inspire confidence and trust.

What I am trying to say is, if a pirate web site decides to go legitimate, they might deserve support in the start of endeavour; but they have to prove themselves for continuing support. That is the problem with Good E-Reader. They went legal, not honest. Actually, if they were a TV program in the Continent, Kobo and others can even file for unfair competition with some hope of success.

That is why people dislike it, it is not the past, it is failure to make up for it. Fixing isn't the same thing as making amends, no?
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I agree with you, Gerge. I wouldn't give them my money. Other people may come to a different conclusion, and that is of course their choice to make.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-26-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
GoodEreader is the Fox News of the tech blogs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #104
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well put
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #105
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Low blow.
Fox news has standards.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad