Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
ramsey_isler
Enthusiast
ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Hi Gregg,

I've found from personal experience that the best way to find the right designer for you is to look at a LOT of covers other ebook writers have commissioned. One site that offers a useful tool for this is: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/...design-awards/

The Book Designer blog has a monthly eBook cover design awards, and the artists are listed. It takes a little time to filter through a couple years worth of work, but it's a great tool to discover a lot of designers.

I hope that helps,
-Ramsey
ramsey_isler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Nancy. I checked out Najla's stuff. Very nice. But I couldn't find the cover and cover design section on Kindle Boards. (I even searched for e-book covers and it brought up individual items.) Could you be a little more specific in how I might find it?
Kindleboards Yellow Pages for Authors

(Please note that after March 7, Kindleboards.com will change to a new domain name.)
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey_isler View Post
Hi Gregg,

I've found from personal experience that the best way to find the right designer for you is to look at a LOT of covers other ebook writers have commissioned. One site that offers a useful tool for this is: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/...design-awards/

The Book Designer blog has a monthly eBook cover design awards, and the artists are listed. It takes a little time to filter through a couple years worth of work, but it's a great tool to discover a lot of designers.

I hope that helps,
-Ramsey
Thanks Ramsey. That's a super helpful site. I came across it a long time ago and lost track of it. It condenses a lot of stuff, which is awesome. Appreciate it.
Gregg
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Thanks Nancy. I have no excuses for not finding it now!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thanks Nancy. I have no excuses for not finding it now!
Now, we are a creative bunch, I am sure we can come up with some.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
mrickert
mrickert began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Gregg,

I see you are in suburbs of Chicago. I am too. I found a local young artist to do my book cover via Craig's List. I wanted hand drawn as well. She was able to meet with me, I bought lunch, discuss what I wanted, do two sketches and turn one into PDF. To see her style, her webpage with portfolio is http://lindseydarter.weebly.com/portfolio.html

[promo link removed - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 03-07-2013 at 02:01 AM.
mrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrickert View Post
Gregg,

I see you are in suburbs of Chicago. I am too. I found a local young artist to do my book cover via Craig's List. I wanted hand drawn as well. She was able to meet with me, I bought lunch, discuss what I wanted, do two sketches and turn one into PDF. To see her style, her webpage with portfolio is http://lindseydarter.weebly.com/portfolio.html

[promo link removed - moderator]
Thanks mrickert. I checked out her stuff. Very talented. I don't know if I want to go with a drawing at this point, but I will keep her in mind. I appreciate you passing along the info.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hey Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Now, we are a creative bunch, I am sure we can come up with some.
I think I dismissed Deviant Art too quickly. I went back and looked at it again. There's a lot of great stuff there. But I was a little bit unsure of the whole thing because 99% of the stuff was not in ebook form. So if it's just a drawing, is there some way of transforming that into an ebook cover? And then I would have to get a graphic artist to do the graphics, right? I guess it seemed like more work than just hiring somebody to do a cover. Got any experience with that sort of thing?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I think I dismissed Deviant Art too quickly. I went back and looked at it again. There's a lot of great stuff there. But I was a little bit unsure of the whole thing because 99% of the stuff was not in ebook form. So if it's just a drawing, is there some way of transforming that into an ebook cover? And then I would have to get a graphic artist to do the graphics, right? I guess it seemed like more work than just hiring somebody to do a cover. Got any experience with that sort of thing?
No, what you do there is find a person whose style you like and then contact them about the cover you want. I think they use the term "commission" over there.

I have not gone that route, but others here have and speak well of it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
So if it's just a drawing, is there some way of transforming that into an ebook cover?
By 'drawing' do you mean a physical drawing, as in graphite or paint smeared across the pulped remains of heartlessly slaughtered trees? If so, then the answer to your question is, 'Yes, but you'll lose some image quality during the scanning process.'

If you're talking about an electronic image created in a graphics suite like Photoshop, then conversion to ebook format is as simple as changing the resolution and image dimensions. Any beginning artist can do it. Adding title and byline text is a bit trickier, at least if you want it to look good, but in my experience most artists who accept commissions do a very good job with the typography.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
No, what you do there is find a person whose style you like and then contact them about the cover you want. I think they use the term "commission" over there.

I have not gone that route, but others here have and speak well of it.
Makes sense. I just want it to be so cut and dried (and easy!). Thanks, man.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. Wright View Post
I highly suggest Fiona Jayde at http://fionajaydemedia.com/. Her covers are the best in my opinion and right at the price you are wanting. She is very easy to work with and will do the very best to make you an outstanding cover. She also has some premade covers on her site, but custom made is what she prefers. She designs full time, so is available anytime.
Personally, I don't care for her covers. It's not the subject matter, it's just something just doesn't look right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
If you're still looking for a top notch cover designer, I highly recommend Don Semora. His covers are top notch, plus he's done every single one of mine (save for the self cover I did for EF1) and I'll keep using him for all future books as well. He's also won numerous awards for his cover art too.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
If you're still looking for a top notch cover designer, I highly recommend Don Semora. His covers are top notch, plus he's done every single one of mine (save for the self cover I did for EF1) and I'll keep using him for all future books as well. He's also won numerous awards for his cover art too.
Thanks for passing that along, Steve. Appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
sarahdalton
Enthusiast
sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarahdalton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle D00901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Check out the yellow pages at kindleboards.com. They've got an entire section on covers and cover design.

I've been really happy with Najla Qamber's photo manipulation work. I don't know whether she's still taking commissions, though.
I second this! Naj created the cover in my sig. She's amazing.

Her website is here: http://najlaqamberdesigns.com/
sarahdalton is offline   Reply With Quote