Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
SquareWheels
SquareWheels began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7"
Kindle Fire HD & Syncing Side-Loaded Books

Hi,

I've searched for posts on this subject and can't find anything very current, at least not as it applies to the Kindle Fire HD.

So, my question is: Is there a way to use Calibre to make side-loaded books show up in the official Amazon Kindle book library (the one that can be managed on the "Manage Your Kindle" page)?

Does changing a side-loaded book's ID in Calibre to match the book's ASIN on Amazon accomplish anything?

Thanks in advance!
SquareWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
SquareWheels

If it can't be done with Calibre, is there any other program that will do it?
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre can help you do it. Check out this article "How to make e-books show up under "Books" on the Kindle Fire" at:-

howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57349056-285/how-to-make-e-books-show-up-under-books-on-the-kindle-fire/

I hope that this helps
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
No, only books purchased by Amazon will show up in the books section on the Manage Your Kindle page. The closest you will come is to email them to your kindle email or use the Amazon Send To program to get them to show up in your Documents folder.

Why do yo want them to show up there?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
SquareWheels

nynaevelan,

I want them to show up there so I can archive them after I finish them and then be able to put them back on the Kindle if I want to reread them. I know storing them in Calibre accomplishes the same thing, but I just wondered if anyone had figured out a way to make them show up in the regular Amazon library.

Per your advice, I tried sending a book in .mobi format to the Kindle using my Kindle e-mail address, but it didn't work. What format works best?

Edited to add: Another reason I wanted to make my side-loaded books show up in my Amazon library/"Manage My Kindle" page is that they would also them show up on the kindle.amazon.com website, which I'd like to use kind of like GoodReads. Plus it would just be easier to have them all on Amazon rather than on Amazon AND in Calibre. Anyway, I'll have to reload all my books into my Calibre library because I always delete them from that library right after converting them.

Thanks nynaevelan and Kwality for your help!

Kwality, I did change my output settings from [PDOC] to [EBOK] as your link suggested and it did make all my books show up under books on the Kindle. As an added bonus, it also made all my books show up in the Carousel AND in the list view. Before I changed the setting and reconverted everything, not all my books were showing up in both places, so I'm glad to have learned how to fix that, thanks again!

Last edited by SquareWheels; 03-12-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: needed to add information
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
SquareWheels, I am glad that this worked for you as it also works fine for me. I have also erased the PDOC tag completely and, leaving it blank and then transferring via usb, mobi files show up under Books for me along with my Amazon Books
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
SquareWheels

Qwality,

I tried erasing the output tag completely, and it didn't do anything differently than putting the [EBOK] tag in did, so I think I'll just leave the [EBOK] tag set from now on.

My original question was about making side-loaded books appear online on the "Manage My Kindle" and kindle.amazon.com web pages like the books that I have bought from Amazon do, and I guess there's no way to do that.

Thanks for your help! Regardless of my original question, finding out that the [EBOK] tag will ensure that side-loaded books will appear in both the carousel and list view on my Kindle was very helpful to me!

Last edited by SquareWheels; 03-13-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fixed typo and added information