Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
That's what I asked too, and the general response (from five of them) was the same: "Because they don't. Now who's the professor and who's the student? Right, thought so."

Each of them had also been published multiple times in major litfic circles, so they can't all be wrong.

Teachers like that need to be fired.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
That's what I asked too, and the general response (from five of them) was the same: "Because they don't. Now who's the professor and who's the student? Right, thought so."
Oh dear. Teachers can only teach what is teachable. The good ones acknowledge this and inspire their students to stretch for the unteachable. The bad ones invent rules.

And anyway, this is just plain rude. A teacher who responds to a student like this is... well, not worthy of consideration.

Last edited by MartinC; 10-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Teachers like that need to be fired.
...out of a cannon...

...into the sun.
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think you're describing the <blockquote></blockquote> HTML tag, but I don't know whether that is used for flashbacks. And mobi format can't do it properly; mobi just doubles the indent on the left and does not provide an indent on the right.
I'll give that a shot and see if it works. Thank-you!
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
So am I the only one who was told time and again that flashbacks don't belong in decent fiction? They can't convey action, and thus violate "show don't tell."
How does "show don't tell" reckon with Homer?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
How does "show don't tell" reckon with Homer?
I should've probably said "modern fiction" instead of "decent fiction."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm just quoting what every single litfic professor I've talked to has said. Flashbacks by definition can't convey action.
I too disagree with this. Why can't flashbacks convey action? And since they're part of a character's past -- and therefore part of what has shaped that character -- they can be a pertinent, if not extremely important, element of the plot as well.

The easiest way to convey a flashback is to italicize the paragraphs in which the flashback happens. It's just that simple.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Richards View Post
I too disagree with this. Why can't flashbacks convey action? And since they're part of a character's past -- and therefore part of what has shaped that character -- they can be a pertinent, if not extremely important, element of the plot as well.
I've got a hunch it derives from the prohibition on using the present tense, but I'm not really certain at all. There's a very good reason why I don't write litfic, y'know.

Quote:
The easiest way to convey a flashback is to italicize the paragraphs in which the flashback happens. It's just that simple.
So how do you indicate book titles and character thought if you're going to use italics for flashbacks?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I should've probably said "modern fiction" instead of "decent fiction."

A wonderful subject best left fallow here.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
So how do you indicate book titles and character thought if you're going to use italics for flashbacks?

I use italics for telepathy. I introduce a flashback through the narrative itself. and put a blank line or two before and after it. Readers seem to have no problem following it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #26
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got a hunch it derives from the prohibition on using the present tense
Help! Another rule!

Last edited by MartinC; 11-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #27
frahse
occasional author

There is nothing wrong with going to classes, to school, to seminars, to conventions and the like. Nothing wrong with belonging to "groups" both discussion and working. Pick up all you can.

I enjoy the feedback I get from a script writing team.

Just remember that most of the time the "formal" places are where techniques are taught. All sorts of techniques. Some would also say it is where opinions are taught as gospel, ... and with lots of examples to back up the message.

I say this. Look at the books you like, the ones you would like to emulate.

And just do it.

Better!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #28
MartinC
Hanger on

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I say this. Look at the books you like, the ones you would like to emulate.

And just do it.

Better!
Amen brother. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. Samuel Beckett (I think).
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:

Each of them had also been published multiple times in major litfic circles, so they can't all be wrong.
I'm pretty sure I've read more than one book which starts with the character about to do something dramatic (like, draw their last breath) and the entire book has been a series of flashbacks telling the story of how they ended up there - with lots of action.

I suspect that in this specific instance your professors are full of it, even if they are otherwise ineffable founts of priceless wisdom.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #30
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You can use italics for those too. You simply have to be an artful enough wordsmith that your reader can immediately tell which is which.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote