Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Borrowing eBooks from your library - a guide

Whipped this guide up today for my mom but thought others might find it handy too.
Attached Files
File Type: doc borrowing eBooks.doc (551.5 KB, 368 views)
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle4, Nexus 7 Tablet
I am assuming would be similar process for using Vancouver's main library? Where I live the library loans out Kindles - so not for me lol. I believe can link to Vancouver though.
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samysdad View Post
Whipped this guide up today for my mom but thought others might find it handy too.
14 day maximum borrowing, I see. Brooklyn also does that, and it can be a problem for me. I'd rather wait longer and get the book for 3 weeks.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
14 day maximum borrowing, I see. Brooklyn also does that, and it can be a problem for me. I'd rather wait longer and get the book for 3 weeks.
What are the chances that a book you have on hold becomes available just as You're finishing one you're currently reading? 14 days could be a problem for anyone who has a life and isn't a speed-reader. When I have a library book become available while I'm in the middle of another one, I use Calibre with a special add-on to remove the DRM/expiry and read it when I can, then delete it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
I am assuming would be similar process for using Vancouver's main library? Where I live the library loans out Kindles - so not for me lol. I believe can link to Vancouver though.
Here is the link for the Vancouver library (which is the entire province of BC):

http://downloads.bclibrary.ca

Word of caution: The book selection s*cks A$$! I checked out Calgary's online library - FAR superior and WAAAAY more books! Esp. kids books! I am hardpressed to find ANYTHING on this website anymore! They have more audiobooks than anything. I've been using it for almost 3 years now and the selection hasn't really improved and waitlists have been getting LONGER and LONGER for new releases - probably because the entire population of BC is using this website (4.5 million people) vs. say, Calgary's library which is just over one million in population. Ugghhh...

Whatever the case, it is usable and I usually borrow 1 or 2 books a month - which is less than 10% of what I read. Not much of a savings...but it helps...

You really have to be organized, though (in searching for books and getting on that waitlist quickly) and make sure you read your book within your 3 week borrowing period....or back to the bottom of the waitlist you go!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
or change the date on your ereader (oops did I say that outloud)

I figured this out by mistake. (my kid had figured out how to change the date on his play tablet and wanted to see if he could do it on mine, how do 5 yr old figure this out???)

ETA: you can't go on googleplay if/when the date on your vox is wrong
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Jackorama
Jackorama began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
My husband wasn't to happy when I read your post. He went out and borrowed a hard cover book of the digital one I borrowed with the vox, so I would have the extra week to finish reading it. Put it in airplane mode and change the date and change it back when I needed to go on line. They really need to give you an option to renew it, even if it is only for 1 week. 2 weeks are not really enough, 3 weeks is more manageable. Physical books can be borrowed for 3 weeks with several renewals allowed, why not digital?
Jackorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackorama View Post
My husband wasn't to happy when I read your post. He went out and borrowed a hard cover book of the digital one I borrowed with the vox, so I would have the extra week to finish reading it. Put it in airplane mode and change the date and change it back when I needed to go on line. They really need to give you an option to renew it, even if it is only for 1 week. 2 weeks are not really enough, 3 weeks is more manageable. Physical books can be borrowed for 3 weeks with several renewals allowed, why not digital?
I go online with the date wrong, I just can't go to GOOGLE PLAY. in the settings under date/time I just unclick where it has you get the reader to "find" the date.
Just note that changing the date while you are reading a book in overdrive (maybe others) will mess up your bookmarks, I find I have to manually bookmark before I "sleep" my VOX
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by samysdad View Post
Any chance of that in a normal format for those of us who don't have Office? :/ (comes up as a garbled mess in WordPad in many places and there are no images [which there should be, according to some of the text that actually displays properly])
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I tried a quick and dirty conversion to ePub via calibre after saving it as a DOCX file.
Attached Files
File Type: epub borrowing eBooks - Brett.epub (547.8 KB, 252 views)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borrow, borrowing, library