Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Sony T1 internal memory vs SD card

Hi! After just 4 months I have the massive number of 826 books. Many of them I´ve read and many are yet to arrive. Since collections on the T1 have to be all in the same place (either internal or SD) I´m thinking of placing the largest collection in the SD and the smaller ones in the internal memory. I´m noticing some lag for art work to show when it´s on the SD. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I place the collections most frequently accessed on the internal memory and less frequently on the SD memory. I try to keep my collections less than 50 books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I use my micro sdhc for everything but it's one of Samsung's Class 10 ones with their turbo feature their quite expensive as their waterproof, shockproof , magnet proof etc, basicly overkill for an ereader if I'm honest but I like them a lot.

I've no issues everything works well and is pretty instant same as the internal memory.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't notice differences in speed, but sometimes when I connect the T1 to my Mac the SD card is not recognized by Calibre, making it impossible to send books to the card. I don't know if the issue is with Calibre or the Mac not mounting the card. I'm not sure how to force it to do so. When this happens, I send the next 5 books in my reading queue to internal memory and then move them to the card the next time I can access it. The T1 can always read the card.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I don't notice differences in speed, but sometimes when I connect the T1 to my Mac the SD card is not recognized by Calibre, making it impossible to send books to the card. I don't know if the issue is with Calibre or the Mac not mounting the card. I'm not sure how to force it to do so. When this happens, I send the next 5 books in my reading queue to internal memory and then move them to the card the next time I can access it. The T1 can always read the card.
I´m having problems with the two or three last upgrades of Calibre. It takes too long to send books and metadata, or to read the contents of the reader. The reader works great so I think it´s got to do with Calibre. Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I manage a T1 with Calibre and it's working just fine with Calibre 0.8.49.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I manage a T1 with Calibre and it's working just fine with Calibre 0.8.49.
That's the version I use as well.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
I´m having problems with the two or three last upgrades of Calibre. It takes too long to send books and metadata, or to read the contents of the reader. The reader works great so I think it´s got to do with Calibre. Thanks!
I've noticed Calibre is slower at syncing since I turned on automatic management of metadata (under Preferences, Sending Books to Device).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Calibre can take absolutely ages if you have it set to refresh covers under the device interface plugins, I do this once in a while but I keep the option unticked most of the time, I've never had calibre fail to see my micro sd card on windows.

I'm using 0.8.49 myself I rarely update calibre in honesty I might just stay with this version if the newer ones are giving issues.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I've noticed Calibre is slower at syncing since I turned on automatic management of metadata (under Preferences, Sending Books to Device).
Yes! I turned it on myself! I´ll try, thnx!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have Kobo and Sony readers when Calibre doesn't recognize SD card I run Calibre start up wizard selecting Sony Reader and Calibre then showes books on SD card.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have Kobo and Sony readers when Calibre doesn't recognize SD card I run Calibre start up wizard selecting Sony Reader and Calibre then showes books on SD card.
Thanks! I'll give that a try next time it happens.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
With automatic management, this is inevitable. Depending on which options you have set (certain plugboards, creating Collections, sorting Collections), calibre can have a lot of work to do every time you connect. Probably, also, the more books on the reader, the longer it takes. You just have to decide which is most important to you, speed or fine-tuning reader's library management. No such thing as a free lunch

Re: calibre not seeing the external SD card, I've also had this in the past. Calibre only waits so long when trying to decide whether an SD card is present. I raised it as a 'bug' at the time. Kovid's response was that the only thing he could do was to extend the 'looking' time which would slow down all users - not acceptable. Fair enough, I admit my SD card was rather cheap and nasty There were 2 workarounds for a slow SD card, at the time:
  • restart calibre (Ctrl-R on Windows) with the reader already connected via USB
  • use 'Save-to-Disk' rather than 'Send-to-Device'. When the file browsing window pops up the SD card drive can be easily selected

As an aside, I stopped using an SD card shortly after as everything seems quicker and more reliable without, particularly the PRST1. Then again, I only keep 20-30 books on the reader at any one time so it's not as if I've lost anything.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
With automatic management, this is inevitable. Depending on which options you have set (certain plugboards, creating Collections, sorting Collections), calibre can have a lot of work to do every time you connect. Probably, also, the more books on the reader, the longer it takes. You just have to decide which is most important to you, speed or fine-tuning reader's library management. No such thing as a free lunch

Re: calibre not seeing the external SD card, I've also had this in the past. Calibre only waits so long when trying to decide whether an SD card is present. I raised it as a 'bug' at the time. Kovid's response was that the only thing he could do was to extend the 'looking' time which would slow down all users - not acceptable. Fair enough, I admit my SD card was rather cheap and nasty There were 2 workarounds for a slow SD card, at the time:
  • restart calibre (Ctrl-R on Windows) with the reader already connected via USB
  • use 'Save-to-Disk' rather than 'Send-to-Device'. When the file browsing window pops up the SD card drive can be easily selected

As an aside, I stopped using an SD card shortly after as everything seems quicker and more reliable without, particularly the PRST1. Then again, I only keep 20-30 books on the reader at any one time so it's not as if I've lost anything.
Calibre not seeing the card happened to me using a generic card. First take it out and clean it with a soft pencil rubber and reinsert it. Try reading it with somehting other than your T1 such as an external card reader. I´ve found that Sandisk´s cards are more reliable than other brands and read everytime. Or maybe it´s a Sony glitch because this happens on my Xperia Mini Pro too...