Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Gerlyn
Enthusiast
Gerlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Can you sync an epub to iPad with iCloud

Is there a way to sync an epub I have created from iTunes using the cloud to an iPad without using iTunes Match? I am beginning to think unless you purchase it directly from iTunes or buy their iTunes Match this isn't possible.

I need to get my working epub on another ipad - not the one I am using to test it. I always have my iPad plugged into my computer and manually sync it, but can it be done another way? I have emailed someone the file, and it is in their iTunes, but it doesn't download automatically even tho all setting are correct for automatic downloads. They do not have a way to manually sync with a cable unfortunately.
Gerlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
Is there a way to sync an epub I have created from iTunes using the cloud to an iPad without using iTunes Match? I am beginning to think unless you purchase it directly from iTunes or buy their iTunes Match this isn't possible.

I need to get my working epub on another ipad - not the one I am using to test it. I always have my iPad plugged into my computer and manually sync it, but can it be done another way? I have emailed someone the file, and it is in their iTunes, but it doesn't download automatically even tho all setting are correct for automatic downloads. They do not have a way to manually sync with a cable unfortunately.
I don't know about iCloud, but I think they should be able to send the epub file to iBooks from the e-mail message. Just press the attached file's icon until the "Open in..." menu appears. I haven't tried it with an ePub file but it should work.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm not sure what you mean by "They do not have a way to manually sync with a cable unfortunately". You have to have a cable to be able to sync to iTunes. Some ePub-reading apps have file sharing enabled. You can just drag the file into the file sharing window of iTunes while connected, and the file will appear in the list for that app. You don't have to use iBooks to read an ePub. I'm not sure if iBooks has file sharing enabled or not.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You have to have a cable to be able to sync to iTunes.
If you're on iOS5, then no, you don't really need to have a cable anymore. Wireless syncing is supported.

As far as I'm aware, iTunes Match only works for music. As for the epub, if they add it to iTunes, I do believe it's possible to do a wireless sync. Haven't tested it, though. I get all my books via Calibre.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yeah, I forgot about the wireless syncing (I don't use it), but I still find it hard to believe that someone with an iDevice wouldn't have a cable.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
They are going to have to have their own device profile in your itunes to be able to synch it wired or wirelessly.

You can just email the file to them. iBooks supports Open In for epubs at least within safari and I'd assume from within the mail client as well (though I haven't specifically attempted that).

iBooks supports synching through iCloud. I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that includes sideloaded content and not just itunes purhcased books. Though that won't support pushing epubs out to the devices that weren't purchased through itunes, only last read and I think bookmark synching from files. So you'll still have to get the epub on the device...which again you can just email it to the other device and open it on there to load it in to iBooks and then last read and bookmarking can/will be synched through iCloud.

Though the synching will only be with the book loaded on devices using the same appleID.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote