Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Kobo Screws up - Gives you free book

I just got a newsletter from Kobo with an offer for a free book from a limited list. A reparation, of sorts, for the problems on their site the last few weeks (others might want to check to see if they got the same email).

I clicked the link, there were 21 books. Clicked to see the second page and ... now there are only 8 (mostly children's books, not interested).

Anyone else get the email and see the same list of choices?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
I didn't get one.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I just have "Great Reads from 99¢" and "Great Reads Under $5". Clearly they do not love me enough to give a free book.

Did you perchance buy anything from them within the past couple of days?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sort of. I GOT IT IN THE LAST FEW DAYS...,
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take it you finally received your Vox, then.

Sigh. I knew I should have spent my 35% off puzzle contest coupon yesterday right after I won it instead of freebie-snatching and eating and sleeping. Priorities, dammit!

Oh well, bought the book I was intending to get, hopefully they're just rolling out the apology-freebies in batches.
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I have not gotten one.

I finally got a 35% coupon on that puzzle game and used it to buy a book. The book downloaded fine, no issues. However, they never sent a confirmation email for the purchase.

Still waiting for the refund from another book the tier 2 customer service rep said they'd be issuing "soon". It's been over a week. I guess my definition of soon and theirs do not match
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The email I got specifically said free book from an exclusive list ... there were ten items on the list ... from a variety of categories and at least some choices reflected what I have bought from Kobo (or "saved for later"). It also explicitly stated this was as a token of delays in responding to customer care queries (mine have always been through email) so maybe its not a mass thing. Plus, the choice of books may be regionally targeted.

It's a nice gesture and unexpected. Not a discount, free. Really, that's fine in my "books".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
They had something similar at emusic.com this month. There were some problems as they updated the site and as a thank you for those customers who had visited during that time and were patient with them they gave $5.00 credit on the visitors accounts. A nice, unexpected bonus.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I take it you finally received your Vox, then.

Sigh. I knew I should have spent my 35% off puzzle contest coupon yesterday right after I won it instead of freebie-snatching and eating and sleeping. Priorities, dammit!

Oh well, bought the book I was intending to get, hopefully they're just rolling out the apology-freebies in batches.
Yes, I did. Of course, the charger doesn't work (they sent a new one yesterday, but no sign of it yet).

Ok, found out a very strange thing about the booklist in this offer - I saw 21 items, clicked for page 2 and got dumped into 8 items. My stepson looked at the list and saw 21 -- apparently only if I log in do I get restricted to 8. In any case, I made the list of upset people there and got a book! Hopefully it will let me use the coupon on one I can see when not logged in.

Last edited by koland; 12-21-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kobo doesn't love me.
I didn't get a email but I am not surprised.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Kobo doesn't love me.
That's ok - if they did, I'm sure your selection would be comprised of books you already have, those in KEPUB format and ones geo restricted so that you could not buy them....
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
… those in KEPUB format…
Perhaps this is their clever plan to get you to use the Vox now that you have it?

Unless all the KEPUB items are also ones you own which happen to be geo-restricted at Kobo…
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Kobo doesn't love me.
Nor me either, although they did finally straighten out my gift card issues. It just appeared in my account, by magic, with no e-mail or anything...but I'm not complaining - at least I have it now!

Still, a free book wouldn't come amiss..but doubt I'll get one.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Perhaps this is their clever plan to get you to use the Vox now that you have it?

Unless all the KEPUB items are also ones you own which happen to be geo-restricted at Kobo…
I bought a publisher edition that was linked to the kepub instead. kepubs look horrible on non Kobo devices. It did have italics and bold and pics unlike the old versions but alot of the words ran together and the lines were horribly spaced. I tried to fix it but Kobo programming language is an enigma unto itself.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I might look at a kepub, now that I have a charger for the Vox (technically, I have two, but only one actually works). I was considering trying one of the vox only titles, but I know how hard it is to read a comic on the KFire (and getting a return is near impossible if the reason is that it is hard to read).

I do need to go look at the list though, and make an attempt to get a book. I also have $10 credit at audible - anyone have any suggestions for that?