Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well like I said before (and I'll repeat myself for all those who have trouble reading) I was not asking anyone to "Tell me what I should do" but to provide information if they have it, and your claim of "ANYONE here is quite happy to answer specific questions as to features" is disproven by yourself as you have made two rude offtopic posts without giving any specific answers.
Now if you have ever been on any forum before this, you will have noticed that besides a lot of chitchatter about various offtopic topics, there is a whole lot of posts from people who don't know something asking people who do know that about it. In fact I'd say that's the very purpose of online forums, or at least the most important application.
Now please let's make this the end of this offtopic discussion.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Well like I said before (and I'll repeat myself for all those who have trouble reading) I was not asking anyone to "Tell me what I should do" but to provide information if they have it, and your claim of "ANYONE here is quite happy to answer specific questions as to features" is disproven by yourself as you have made two rude offtopic posts without giving any specific answers.
Now if you have ever been on any forum before this, you will have noticed that besides a lot of chitchatter about various offtopic topics, there is a whole lot of posts from people who don't know something asking people who do know that about it. In fact I'd say that's the very purpose of online forums, or at least the most important application.
Now please let's make this the end of this offtopic discussion.
Well, I've been on forums since 1992, but thank you for filling me in on 'Netiquette {/irony}

Once again, your original post asked no specific questions, you consistently complained that no one answered your non-specific questions, and when finally pinned down complained that no one info-dumped on you things that are laid out very clearly in the Wiki.

It may be 'rude' to point out that the info you wanted was already available, but it's probably rude to go onto a forum and demand other people do your work for you (especially when the work has *already* been done by the nice and helpful people there).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #33
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
You're one of those people who just can't stand not having the last word and never admits to being wrong it seems ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #34
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
No, that would be me
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #35
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Putting the feud here aside: I'm struggling with the same question these days. Initially I had decided on getting a T1. Previously I've owned a kindle, but I had decided to make a switch to Sony since it seemed like a superior product, and the t1 seemed promising.

But after reading a lot about the T1, and also the 950 daily edition, I just started to realize that maybe I'd prefer a 950.

Reasons:
- much more beautiful. Simply said: I adore the look of the 950, while the T1 looks ugly and cheap. In my opinion, at least.
- bigger screen. Better for reading pdfs? (which I do a lot)
- holder for stylus.

And then you have all the pros of the t1:
- price
- you can download pdfs directly from the web (apparently you can do that with prs+ on the 950, but I haven't really seen a lot of people discussing that feature)
- android-based, which opens up the possibility of rooting it, adding things like the kindle app, etc
- seems like it may handle pdfs even better than the 950, with a crop feature etc
- the web browser seems excellent, I imagine it's even better than the 950 - you can easily zoom on websites
- you can download books directly to the device from many sellers. I don't know if this is a possibility with prs+ on the 950?

Anyway: I don't mind paying 250 bucks for a refurbished or used 950, if I find out that it is what I really want. After all, I'll likely use the device A LOT for the next years. But I have to figure out which one I want...

The size and weight is not that much of an issue to me - I mostly read when I'm home, in my sofa, and don't mind holding a device that is not featherweight.
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #36
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oivavoi View Post
Putting the feud here aside: I'm struggling with the same question these days. Initially I had decided on getting a T1. Previously I've owned a kindle, but I had decided to make a switch to Sony since it seemed like a superior product, and the t1 seemed promising.

But after reading a lot about the T1, and also the 950 daily edition, I just started to realize that maybe I'd prefer a 950.

Reasons:
- much more beautiful. Simply said: I adore the look of the 950, while the T1 looks ugly and cheap. In my opinion, at least.
- bigger screen. Better for reading pdfs? (which I do a lot)
- holder for stylus.
I've got the 950 and as of tonight, hubby has the T-1. I agree totally that the 950 totally is more gorgeous. To me it also feels better in my hand, in spite of the fact it weighs more. Just something about the silky brushed aluminum ...

On the other two pros ... well, the T-1 stylus might be separate, but it looks like it could clip on to a cover fairly easily, depending on thickness of said cover, so that might be nearly as convenient as having a holder. I'm not sure.

For PDFs, the T-1's margin crop might be more usable and the pinch/zoom could also come in handy for diagrams. That might end up being a close call between the two devices, depending on the types of PDFs you were reading.

Quote:
And then you have all the pros of the t1:
- price
- you can download pdfs directly from the web (apparently you can do that with prs+ on the 950, but I haven't really seen a lot of people discussing that feature)
- android-based, which opens up the possibility of rooting it, adding things like the kindle app, etc
- seems like it may handle pdfs even better than the 950, with a crop feature etc
- the web browser seems excellent, I imagine it's even better than the 950 - you can easily zoom on websites
- you can download books directly to the device from many sellers. I don't know if this is a possibility with prs+ on the 950?

Anyway: I don't mind paying 250 bucks for a refurbished or used 950, if I find out that it is what I really want. After all, I'll likely use the device A LOT for the next years. But I have to figure out which one I want...

The size and weight is not that much of an issue to me - I mostly read when I'm home, in my sofa, and don't mind holding a device that is not featherweight.

I am lucky enough to be in the position of having the 950 already (Best Buy clearance at $200), but I also like having two readers, as I read a lot. I *do* want a T-1 in addition to my 950 for the convenience of having a lighter weight device in my purse (my reader goes everywhere with me) and being able to leave my beloved 7" screen 950 safe at home. I also think the T-1 would be nicer for travel with the possibility of checking out my library holds and downloading them directly to the device. I also think I might prefer it for proofreading epubs because of the faster response of the keyboard for note taking.

But the 7" screen on the 950 is very nice. My eyes are older, so when the light is not as good, or when I'm reading in a restaurant with my reader in a stand, I like the large font. Having the extra screen real estate is particularly good in that situation, though I like it when I read on medium font as well.

In the end, whichever device one gets between the 950 and the T-1, I think both are great readers! I think, if I did not have and had not experienced the 950, I'd have been totally happy with the T-1. As is, I still love my 950, but am a wee bit jealous of that nice screen contrast on hubby's T-1! The browser options also look good, though with no WiFi here at home, I cannot test that out. At any rate, I plan to have my cake and eat it too. I don't know when, but I know I will get a T-1.

And then my poor original Nook WiFi will be passed on to family or sold.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #37
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
If you read novels and social science books/papers: go for 950 or T1

If you read technical books/papers: go for T1 (pinch-n-zoom, crop)
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #38
oivavoi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I've got the 950 and as of tonight, hubby has the T-1. I agree totally that the 950 totally is more gorgeous. To me it also feels better in my hand, in spite of the fact it weighs more. Just something about the silky brushed aluminum ...

On the other two pros ... well, the T-1 stylus might be separate, but it looks like it could clip on to a cover fairly easily, depending on thickness of said cover, so that might be nearly as convenient as having a holder. I'm not sure.

For PDFs, the T-1's margin crop might be more usable and the pinch/zoom could also come in handy for diagrams. That might end up being a close call between the two devices, depending on the types of PDFs you were reading.
Thank you, these comments were VERY useful to me!
It actually helped me make up my mind: I'm going for the t1. Overall, it seems like a more functional reader, for several reasons:
- faster
- better browser
- better pdf capabilities (download, crop, zoom)
- and finally that even the screen might be better

I will mainly use it for two things: Reading novels - and downloading, reading and annotating social science pdfs. The first thing I could just as easily do on the 950, of course (and then I would have preferred it because of how it looks). But for the whole pdf business - including finding them on the web and downloading them - t1 seems superior (and it saves me some bucks as well).

I know I'm not going to like the look of it when it comes out of the box, but I'll get a matte black skin from Decalgirl to remove the gloss, and this case which has a holder for the stylus: http://www.geckocovers.com/sony-reader-p-64.html. So I guess I'll survive the initial glossiness.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #39
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oivavoi View Post
Thank you, these comments were VERY useful to me!
It actually helped me make up my mind: I'm going for the t1. Overall, it seems like a more functional reader, for several reasons:
- faster
- better browser
- better pdf capabilities (download, crop, zoom)
- and finally that even the screen might be better

I will mainly use it for two things: Reading novels - and downloading, reading and annotating social science pdfs. The first thing I could just as easily do on the 950, of course (and then I would have preferred it because of how it looks). But for the whole pdf business - including finding them on the web and downloading them - t1 seems superior (and it saves me some bucks as well).

I know I'm not going to like the look of it when it comes out of the box, but I'll get a matte black skin from Decalgirl to remove the gloss, and this case which has a holder for the stylus: http://www.geckocovers.com/sony-reader-p-64.html. So I guess I'll survive the initial glossiness.

Thanks again for your help!
Glad it was helpful. I have found the T-1 to be significantly faster for using the touch keyboard and also for deleting books and notes, there's lots to like here and I think once you skin it, you'll be happy enough with the looks.

Now if only Sony would release a premium device with the 7" screen, a matte finish and the new T-1 processor and interface, we could all be in heaven!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
If you read novels and social science books/papers: go for 950 or T1

If you read technical books/papers: go for T1 (pinch-n-zoom, crop)
The 950 has margin cut. But, for most standard PDF, no eink reader of 7" or smaller is all that good. PDF is not a good format. Most PDF is setup for a letter size page with wide margins.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #41
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Glad it was helpful. I have found the T-1 to be significantly faster for using the touch keyboard and also for deleting books and notes, there's lots to like here and I think once you skin it, you'll be happy enough with the looks.
Now if only Sony would release a premium device with the 7" screen, a matte finish and the new T-1 processor and interface, we could all be in heaven!
I know! The T1 is really speedy and the browser is much improved. However, I still prefer the 950 7" screen, especially for periodicals.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #42
apheredia
apheredia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-950
Are there differences in contrast and screen quality between 950 and T1? thanks
apheredia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apheredia View Post
Are there differences in contrast and screen quality between 950 and T1? thanks
Maybe

They both use Pearl e-Ink screens, but apparently they can differ quite a bit in quality. So you'll probably find both, people who'll say that the T1 is better and people who say that the 950 is better; and both will be right.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #44
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I know! The T1 is really speedy and the browser is much improved. However, I still prefer the 950 7" screen, especially for periodicals.
Same here, though I don't do periodicals.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #45
oivavoi
Enthusiast

I actually changed my mind, partly (but not exclusively) because of all the reports on the t1 freezing and crashing. Besides, my male intuition just told me to go for the coolest and most beautiful device

So, a used 950 in excellent condition is now on its way to me! Really looking forward to it.

Concerning the t1: I realize that it has features that the 950 doesn't have. But I think I'll pass on it this time, and wait till the t-2 (or something) arrives. By then sony will have had the time to fix everything that's not optimal on this one. Then I'll have two devices: The 950 for couch reading (I think it will still be excellent for that), and a more portable one for travelling etc