Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
In fact, I believe that 10k units represents what was sold in the first 3 or 4 months.
That's still small potatoes. How many iPhones were sold in the first day?

Sony refuses to release hard sales numbers, which should tell you something about how happy they are about them.

As to the serial numbers, two comments. 1) Many device manufacturers jump serial numbers by large amounts when releasing a new slipstream device (small changes within the same model) or use different sets of serial numbers for different manufacturing facilities. So seeing a serial number 56,000 doesn't really mean that this is the 56,000th ebook made. 2) Devices manufactured is not equal to devices sold. Sony was obviously making some efforts to churn through stock with rebates before the new models were released. Making even 100,000 devices to ship to stores such as Best Buy, Borders and CompUSA doesn't put 100,000 devices in the hands of consumers.

Again, don't get me wrong. I love my reader, and I really want there to be a market for these devices, and I am very happy that Sony is trying to find it. I just don't know that it's there yet.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote