Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Question Feature Request: ZIM Conversion Support

I was wondering if there was any interest in adding ZIM conversion support? I frequently find a topic of interest on the Wikipedia, and go off and use the Book Creator to condense a ton of related articles to a single "book." However, the Wikipedia, for some reason, only supports three formats for exporting: ODT (which doesn't always play nice, and used to lack images, but otherwise is an ideal starting point), PDFs (no Table of Contents, some pages are rasterized images, works out of the box on my PRS-500 but with poor reflowing), and ZIM files. Since ODT seems to be hit-or-miss, PDF is really the only reliable way I have of getting these "books" on my e-reader.

I was wondering, though, since libzim is an open source library, if there was any interest in supporting that file format for conversion? As far as I can tell, it's a more authentic conversion, and on the inside, it's basically HTML with images, which should present no problem to the existing conversion engine. Any feelings on this one?
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Any format is fair game. The more mainstream, used, and simple the format the better the chance of someone taking the time to implement it. I would open a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre requesting it. Put all the information you have found about the format. Such as that link to it's specification and a link to libzim.

I'll warn you that opening the bug will result in it being closed as won't fix. All enhancements which no one wants to work on are closed as won't fix. However, opening the bug shows interest in the feature and allows for someone who might be interested in working on this finding the bug and having the information about the format available.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
libzim, openzim, wikibooks, wikipedia, zim