Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't mean to interrupt this tin foil hat party, but I'm curious what exactly do you think BN is secretly conspiring to do to you guys in this update?
Considering all the problems we're having with the SDcard, I am wondering whether they're tracking side-loaded books.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
Assuming the new update doesn't do anything noxious, is it safe to update a rooted Nook? Has anyone tried it?
If you're rooted, I'd wait for the 1.7 softroot to come out. A friend at work had Softroot 1.4 and got the 1.5 OTA and had the nook present him with a boot menu every time it restarted.
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you people the same people that think the moon landing was faked and that 9/11 is a government conspiracy and was perpetrated by the US Government?
The moon landing was real. 9/11 is still up in the air.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Pretty sure I saw a Facebook post on the nook discussions page where someone was still having SD card problems after updating to v1.7. And I think I saw a post about same elsewhere, possibly the BN forums, I'd have to go look to be sure.

I think I'll stay off WiFi for a bit myself until I hear more and find out if the issue truly *is* fixed before updating my nook.

If anyone who had card access hosed can confirm the update to v1.7 fixed it, I'd love to know!
Yeah, there is one user on the official B&N forums that is still having SDcard issues with 1.7. I asked in the thread what was changed in 1.6/1.7 that affected the SDcard and my comment was treated with complete silence from the B&N moderator.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
Dean Gibson
Retired
Dean Gibson began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Touch (2), B&N Nook 1stEd/3G
Exclamation Problems with v1.7

Here's what I sent the B&N forum moderator tonight:

Quote:
I don't know if you have seen my posts in the "[N1E]: 1.7 Update" thread, but here's some summary information I think you requested of someone else:

N1E (Wifi+3G) sideload-updated to 1.7:

Internal memory has just two small eBooks (no other documents) totalling 13MB.

SanDisk 16GB class 4 microSD card, containing about 45,000 PDF files in about 9,000 directories, occupying 7.7GB.

At this point in what I describe next, my documents in the SC card's "root" directory are visible in "My Documents", along with the "User Guide" and "Tour" (which of course are on the internal memory). The 45,000 document in subfolders are not visible (and I don't want them to be), because I have a ".nomedia" file at the head of the subdirectory tree with those documents.

After connecting the N1E to my PC, and then "ejecting" both USB drives without making any file changes:

* It took 4.5 minutes for the internal memory card to be mounted, after the usual scan.
* It took 8.5 minutes for the SDcard to be mounted and available, after the usual scan.

Before each scan is complete, the "Settings" page report each memory card to have 76MB available out of 242MB. After the scan is complete on each memory card, the reported sizes are correct, and my documents in the SC card's "root" directory are still visible in "My Documents".

Rebooting (holding the power button for five seconds) takes just under two minutes to reboot, and the documents on the internal memory are immediately visible. However, the "Settings" page shows the bogus size values for the SD card, until 9.5 minutes have elapsed after reboot, at which point the reported sizes are correct. At this point attempting to view "My Documents" gives the "Checking for New Items -- This will only take a moment" pop-up, which sits there for an hour.

During that one hour, I checked with adb, and no CPU process was consuming any CPU time. I canceled the "Checking for New Items" and checked settings, and the reported sizes are still correct, but my documents on the SD card are no longer visible. A "Check for new content" simply gives the "Checking for New Items -- This will only take a moment" pop-up.

Doing a hard-reset (this time holding the power button for twenty seconds) takes just under two minutes to reboot, and the documents on the internal memory are immediately visible, just as before. However, the "Settings" page shows the bogus size values for the SD card, until 9.5 minutes have elapsed after reboot, at which point the reported sizes are correct, but my documents on the SD card are still not visible. At this point attempting to view "My Documents" gives another "Checking for New Items -- This will only take a moment" pop-up, which I immediately canceled this time.

I'm going to try to go back to 1.5 -- I've spent enough time testing what B&N should have done before releasing 1.6 and 1.7.

By the way, the 45,000 PDF files in 9,000 folders on a 16GB SD card WORKS PERFECTLY WELL ON THE NOOK COLOR.
UPDATE: It appears that rebooting causes the problem, and a USB mount/umount to a PC SOMETIMES cures the problem. In other words, the SD card mounting code in the reboot sequence is missing some of the code that is in the USB dismount sequence.

Even if that were fixed, nine minutes to remount a 16GB SD card is unacceptable. The program taking all the time is "/system/bin/dosfsck" (file system check of a FAT partition). Why on earth does that have to be done on every mount??? Answer: In a normal Linux system, no one does that; filesystem checks are performed on a low percentage of mounts. I have 16GB SD cards with identical file content in the NookColors, and they don't have this problem.

So, I went back to v1.3, tested, upgraded to v1.5, tested, and then upgraded (again) to v1.7.

All of those versions (all tested stock, not rooted) have the long delay when mounting or remounting an SD card with the number of files I have. However, v1.3 doesn't seem to have the problem of "missing" documents after a reboot, but v1.5 and v1.7 do. I didn't do exhaustive testing with v1.3, so it's possible this problem has been there from the beginning.

So, there appears to be no regression from v1.5 to v1.7 in this respect.

Last edited by Dean Gibson; 06-23-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Updated info
Dean Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Gibson View Post

UPDATE: It appears that rebooting causes the problem, and a USB mount/umount to a PC SOMETIMES cures the problem. In other words, the SD card mounting code in the reboot sequence is missing some of the code that is in the USB dismount sequence.

Even if that were fixed, nine minutes to remount a 16GB SD card is unacceptable. The program taking all the time is "/system/bin/dosfsck" (file system check of a FAT partition). Why on earth does that have to be done on every mount??? Answer: In a normal Linux system, no one does that; filesystem checks are performed on a low percentage of mounts. I have 16GB SD cards with identical file content in the NookColors, and they don't have this problem.

So, I went back to v1.3, tested, upgraded to v1.5, tested, and then upgraded (again) to v1.7.

All of those versions (all tested stock, not rooted) have the long delay when mounting or remounting an SD card with the number of files I have. However, v1.3 doesn't seem to have the problem of "missing" documents after a reboot, but v1.5 and v1.7 do. I didn't do exhaustive testing with v1.3, so it's possible this problem has been there from the beginning.

So, there appears to be no regression from v1.5 to v1.7 in this respect.
You used the word adb in your post. That means you're rooted. You probably won't get a reply because of that.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
Dean Gibson
Retired
Dean Gibson began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Touch (2), B&N Nook 1stEd/3G
Exclamation Reverting for fun and pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Gibson View Post

All of those versions (all tested stock, not rooted) have the long delay when mounting or remounting an SD card with the number of files I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
You used the word adb in your post. That means you're rooted. You probably won't get a reply because of that.
Actually, I did get a response requesting further information (further constructive dialog pending).

Note (from above) that after reverting to v1.3 and then through v1.5 and v1.7, all testing was with stock systems.

Last edited by Dean Gibson; 06-23-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Dean Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Unhappy 1.7 messed up my nook

Well, I tried to avoid the update but when I was shopping for a book, they updated it. Now I can't shop for ebooks cause the screen freezes every time. I don't have an SD card, so who knows what that would do.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
veereihen6
veereihen6 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
any quick instructions on going back to 1.5? I was able to root easily from there, but am having a heck of a time from 1.7.

{edit} Never mind....just did a hard reset back down to 1.0. Now I can go back to my normal rooted nookie

Last edited by veereihen6; 06-30-2011 at 01:17 PM.
veereihen6 is offline   Reply With Quote