Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
sinojelly
sinojelly began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Smile Suggestion:not copy books to library

It's too slow to copy books. And i want to manage books in file system by myself. But i need the features of rating/tagging/commenting books.

Some other management software, like Windows Photo Gallery, not copy the photos, just use the books in the specified path.
sinojelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Unfortunately that is not the way that Calibre works and changing it would be a HUGE programming effort - see the sticky at the top of the forum for more details.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Sounds like you just need a database. many about on the web.

As above Calibre specifically copys books to its own Library, and while I actually Hate that kind of behavior for music or videos, for txt files epubs mobi etc I think its great.

You could do it with Calibre though, I think.
Just have the entries be empty txt files. You could use a program like http://www.sobolsoft.com/createfiletext/
looks like it may make empty txt files.
Good luck.

Not sure why you would want to though, as the reader in Calibre is great, and it opens txt and pdfs fine, plus ebooks are pretty small so even with thousands its still only a few GB, you could keep both your folder/directory structure and the Calibre library (backup if nothing else)
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote