Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have mixed feelings about this one: No More Cursive Handwriting

Twenty-three second-graders file into Virginia Edwards' technology classroom at Grant Ranch School, take a seat at their iMacs, pull on headphones and launch a program whose graphics and audio prompts teach them crucial keyboarding skills.

Gradually, the staccato tapping of their fingers will supplant the graceful curves of what once stood as an academic rite of passage: cursive handwriting.

rest here:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_17710389
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Cursive handwriting was the bane of my elementary school existence! And for what?

I was fairly ambidexterous - forcibly changed to a rightie only - and as a result I never could get the cursive writing to slant "correctly" - and hence was criticized my entire lower school career. For what?

I now print everything but my signature.

P.S. I recently discovered Kanji characters - and am enjoying creating them - so I guess I wasn't scarred for life.

But I no longer see the point for enforcing small children to learn "perfect" cursive.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seeing that I print everything but my signature....I tend to agree....but it does seem like "The End of Something"

(to invoke Hemingway and one of my favorite stories he wrote and whom I believe wrote all his work in longhand, cursive)

http://www.repeatafterus.com/title.php?i=8752

Last edited by kennyc; 03-27-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Had to correct the title...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
My cursive writing sucks - always did. Like Poohbear I print everything except my signature which you can't read anyway - see my first statement.

My son is learning cursive now and was very excited when he learned all the letters of his name and could then write the whole thing, at the same time though they are also learning keyboarding too.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I learned and used cursive until the 6th grade. My teacher that year only printed and I have only printed English (except my signature) ever since. In college, I learned Russian and the only decent way to write Cyrillic is cursive. That conveniently helped me keep the two languages separate in my head. Now, 30 years later, if I'm forced to use cursive I end up spitting out Cyrillic letters and toss in a few Russian words. Weird.

Would the end of cursive be bad? I don't think so. No more so than the end of slide rules and slate tablets. As long as there's thoughtful expression in the words that are recorded.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My gf recently filled out a job app that required it be written in cursive
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wait. 4 out of us 4 ebook readers only print. Coincidence? Time for a poll?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wait. 4 out of us 4 ebook readers only print. Coincidence? Time for a poll?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Back when I used to write things on paper (a very rare thing now, except for the occasional signature) I always wrote in cursive unless there was some explicit requirement not to, and I felt that I was writing like a primary-schooler when required to print. That's how all school assignments were done in middle school through college, and that's the way everyone else wrote and was taken for granted to expect to write, too-- the only people who wrote everything in print were those who were just barely literate. This was in South Carolina in the 1980s and going forward. I was actually very surprised around a year ago when I saw my first story about cursive going out of style in schools-- in my mind, it was one of the basics of literacy.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I went to a religious school and we never had time to learn cursive properly. The teacher just started using it on the board one day and we adapted, or didn't. I vividly recall the fourth grade penpal project we did. We were paired with a class of kids in Iowa, and I remember the teacher explaining how they were all going to have much nicer cursive than we did because they weren't killing half the day on Hebrew and so had time to learn to write it properly
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I went to a religious school and we never had time to learn cursive properly. The teacher just started using it on the board one day and we adapted, or didn't. I vividly recall the fourth grade penpal project we did. We were paired with a class of kids in Iowa, and I remember the teacher explaining how they were all going to have much nicer cursive than we did because they weren't killing half the day on Hebrew and so had time to learn to write it properly
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Excellent commentary:

http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2..._bob_barr_blog
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
...but it does seem like "The End of Something"
When we stopped putting children up chimneys, that was "The End of Something", thank God.(comment by someone whose bad handwriting got him branded as stupid as a child and who later went on to get a number of degrees up to and including a PhD!)
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
(comment by someone whose bad handwriting got him branded as stupid as a child and who later went on to get a number of degrees up to and including a PhD!)
same here bro!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
My gf recently filled out a job app that required it be written in cursive
It sounds crazy I know, but the reason for writing out a job application in

cursive, is because the said application is then studied by a graphologist.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote