Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
jjonas
jjonas began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Self-made PDFs and the dictionary

I converted plain text to a PDF file with size and margins of my preference etc. (with Scribus) and started reading it on my PRS-600. When I tap on a word to check it in the dictionary, the whole line gets highlighted instead, and the reader tries to look the whole phrase up in the dictionary, which of course it can't find. However, if I have a single word at the end of a line that comes after a dot or a comma, and tap it, only in this case does the reader highlight the one word, and it now finds it in the dictionary as well.

I suspect I should do something with the PDF, but I don't know what it could be. Could anyone help..? Thanks!
jjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
I converted plain text to a PDF file with size and margins of my preference etc. (with Scribus) and started reading it on my PRS-600. When I tap on a word to check it in the dictionary, the whole line gets highlighted instead, and the reader tries to look the whole phrase up in the dictionary, which of course it can't find. However, if I have a single word at the end of a line that comes after a dot or a comma, and tap it, only in this case does the reader highlight the one word, and it now finds it in the dictionary as well.

I suspect I should do something with the PDF, but I don't know what it could be. Could anyone help..? Thanks!
I dunno.

Could you try a2ps+ps2pdf? openoffice outputs pdf too.

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't know anything about Scribus but does it convert text to text or does it make a pdf file made of pics?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
jjonas
jjonas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I don't know anything about Scribus but does it convert text to text or does it make a pdf file made of pics?
Scribus is a program for desktop publishing. I pasted plain text on the empty pages I had made, I hyphenated the text, set the alignment to justified and converted it to PDF.

I'm no expert on PDF conversion or how it is technically done, but based on this description, I don't think there was pics involved.
jjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

I experience the same issue with PDFs and the dictionary when using LaTeX to create the PDFs, but not when using Word + Adobe Acrobat.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61402
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert