Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Kids just don't cursive like they used to.

When I was a kid, we could cursive up a blue streak. Now many kids in high school can't even sign their names. Sure, most of our writing is done on computer screens these days, but what happens when people encounter the need to look into historical records? Many young people today can't even read the Constitution in its original form. Are we doing a disservice to our kids by not teaching them to read and write cursive? And what does this portend for the future of handwriting recognition software?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
We went to the Pearce Museum on the Navarro College Campus. They had letters from the Civil War. That was some beautiful cursive writing. Especially the cross hatch letters.

Cross hatch letters were written one way, then the paper was turned 90 degrees and then more was written.
Yes, it was readable.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
People born after 1980 tend to have a distinctive style of handwriting: a little bit sloppy, a little bit childish and almost never in cursive. The simple explanation is that computers are responsible for our increasingly illegible scrawl. The simple fact is that kids haven't learned to write neatly because no one has forced them to. These teens aren't alone in the struggle. An entire generation is forgetting the proper loops and swirls of cursive.
Kids can't read cursive if they don't know how to write it, and I hear from a lot of parents how surprised they are when their child gets a card from grandma and grandpa, and they can't read it.
Nowadays cursive is no longer required to be taught in school. Keyboarding, however, is now required by third grade.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And how is our cursive? Note I am asking the over 40 group.
I know mine has gotten worse.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
We went to the Pearce Museum on the Navarro College Campus. They had letters from the Civil War. That was some beautiful cursive writing. Especially the cross hatch letters.

Cross hatch letters were written one way, then the paper was turned 90 degrees and then more was written.
Yes, it was readable.
Here's an example of cross writing. This was mainly employed at the time because postage was charged per weight (and paper was expensive and possibly scarce).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_cross3.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	145925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_cross2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	145926  
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Keyboarding, however, is now required by third grade.
Isn't it called typing?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Isn't it called typing?
In my kids' school, no -- it was "keyboarding." I think the difference they were trying to emphasize was the distinction between touch-typing that the parents might remember (the letter and number key placement) and learning to use key sequences in word processing and spreadsheet programs (insert, delete, select/highlight, etc.).

But that might not be an official, universal definition.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:25 AM   #8
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
And how is our cursive? Note I am asking the over 40 group.
I know mine has gotten worse.
Naturally, after dominance of digital documents (typing them out) over the written ones, everybody has gone pretty "out of practice" in using pen and paper, very adversely affecting the cursive. I am running 54, but as a passion, I still keep alive my fountain pens (an old collection of MontBlanc, Pilot and Parkers), and write a few pages of my diary every week. This has kept my cursives in better shape. I still remember how our teachers used to force us kids in '60s and '70s to use fountain pens instead of ball point pens, because ball pens could damage your handwriting, which appears to be a right opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Isn't it called typing?
Keyboarding is perhaps the right word. Cromag has explained the difference very clearly.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yes, it was readable.
Interesting, but what's the purpose except perhaps to save money on stationary?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHunt View Post
Here's an example of cross writing. This was mainly employed at the time because postage was charged per weight (and paper was expensive and possibly scarce).
Or that...
Old 01-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
This calls to mind the US Marine Navajo Code talkers of WWII fame. They simply used their ancient spoken language to send messages over the radio. The Japanese code breakers were totally bewildered.

I'm imagining some high tech future despotic government forces fighting resistance guerrillas and unable to make any sense of the hand written notes being sent via homing pigeons.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Am I the only person old enough to remember when it was called script, not cursive?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

It was called handwriting back when I was in 3rd grade. The other was called Printing.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
When I was a kid, we could cursive up a blue streak. Now many kids in high school can't even sign their names. Sure, most of our writing is done on computer screens these days, but what happens when people encounter the need to look into historical records? Many young people today can't even read the Constitution in its original form. Are we doing a disservice to our kids by not teaching them to read and write cursive?
Maybe there is a need to teach reading it. But does that require knowing how to write it?

I'm not terrible at reading it -- can't write in cursive to save my life.

My handwriting (NOT cursive) has definitely gotten worse.
I know in elementary school I had fairly neat handwriting, but by mid-high-school at the latest I am pretty sure I started getting a lot clumsier.

See how fast you can get out of practice...

Quote:
And what does this portend for the future of handwriting recognition software?
We won't need it?
Although I assume we have some already, and it is doing its thing recognizing ancient historical texts.

Whatever. The way of the future is in digitizing information. We don't need to keep on recognizing handwriting, we just need to preserve what we've already got!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Am I the only person old enough to remember when it was called script, not cursive?
Quote:
It was called handwriting back when I was in 3rd grade. The other was called Printing.
It certainly wasn't called cursive when I was a kid. I believe I first heard the term from my grandson.