Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Has the forum's underlying software changed recently?

I like to keep archive copies of interesting threads and web pages for future reference, and I generally save them to MHT format, for the sake of tidiness and not having all those associated folders of images, etc. I use Opera browser v 12-16, which admittedly is a bit finicky about mht files, but always works well with htm/html.

Up until two weeks ago, threads/pages from MobileRead that I saved to mht worked fine in Opera. But suddenly, my MobileRead files will no longer load, I only get a blank white page.

Does anyone have thoughts on this phenomenon?

Thanks for any help.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Unfortunately I can't answer your question but only show another option: you can use the "Thread Tools" to show a printable version or download a text version of the appropriate thread.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Billi - thank you so much!

Saving the "printable version" as mht seems to work. I wonder if losing the images and ads might have something to do with it.

Ah, don't we love our tech, and the hoops it makes us jump through...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe a crazy idea but you could also use a tool like Evernote and it's web clipper to clip web pages; this way you can also tag and organize the clipped threads in Evernote.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@PeterT -- thanks for an intriguing idea! I had never even considered a solution like that. I'm off to find a download, and see if I can get cozy with Evernote.
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Up until two weeks ago, threads/pages from MobileRead that I saved to mht worked fine in Opera. But suddenly, my MobileRead files will no longer load, I only get a blank white page.
If it worked before and it doesn't work now, that means something has changed. I'm not aware of any changes in the forum software (although I have no inside information about that). But what about your browser? Is it possible the problem occurred after you upgraded to a new version?

You might try seeing if the problem happens in a different browser. That will at least help you localise the problem.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

I have been using this same version of Opera for months, with no problem.

There are other sites that have always been problematical, like GHacks -- Only the homepage logo will load. But this is the first problem I've had with MobileRead. Oh, and *everything * ALWAYS loads on Internet Explorer.

I will try to dig up some older versions of Opera. I don't want to upgrade beyond the version I have now, don't like what they have done with the software.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I will try to dig up some older versions of Opera. I don't want to upgrade beyond the version I have now, don't like what they have done with the software.
You will eventually start having to deal with lack of security fixes, then...

If you mean the way they are transitioning to a Google Chrome-based engine, it's not quite what you think anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I agree with you about the update. Opera 16 holds my personal record as the program staying the shortest time on my computer.

I tend to have open too many tabs and sometimes one of these tabs kind of "disturbs" the other open tabs. Simply closing this tab often helps solving the problem. But I don't know if this has any relevance to your saving problem and we still don't know if the moderators have changed something in the back.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Well, I tried using one of the 11xx versions of Opera, with success. I have a particular webpage I'm using as a test for this, so now I will have to inch my way up the vine until I hit the Opera version where it all goes pear-shaped. I do think something must have been changed on the forum software, because one day it worked 100%, the next not. But not consistently, only SOME pages refuse to load. I will have to try to find out what the common factor is that causes that difference.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
... so now I will have to inch my way up the vine until I hit the Opera version where it all goes pear-shaped. .... I will have to try to find out what the common factor is that causes that difference.
You clearly have the necessary problem-solving skills.

Let us know if you find the answer.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote