Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Book Scanners?

Well, I'm not sure where this goes so I'll try here.

I've been thinking about digitizing some physical books lately, and wondered if anyone had tried using desktop receipts scanners? They can scan both sides of the page, and typically get 600 dpi. Is that enough to scan a book?

Thanks!
RbNeader
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
No idea if they are suitable or not, but one usually does not need 600dpi to scan a book for OCR, 300dpi is plenty.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
For "receipt scanners," watch out for single-sided. You need a duplex scanner to scan books (unless you want to scan one side of the page at a time). Many basic office scanners are single-sided.

Other things to check: DPI limitations for duplex (sometimes it's different); customizeable page sizes (how does it recognize the page); color v BW scanning (if it's color-only, you'll get whopping huge scans for books), and does it scan to multi-page documents?

If you're satisfied that it can do the things you need it to, get one *that has a return warranty* so you can return it if you try it out and find it just won't work. (Maybe the rollers jam if you put in more than 10 pages at a time. Maybe it scans too light or too dark and it's not adjustable. Maybe it doesn't jam much, but when it does, you have to practically take the machine apart to fix it. Maybe it's horrendously noisy. And so on.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Well, I'm not sure where this goes so I'll try here.

I've been thinking about digitizing some physical books lately, and wondered if anyone had tried using desktop receipts scanners? They can scan both sides of the page, and typically get 600 dpi. Is that enough to scan a book?

Thanks!
RbNeader
Info on some good portable scanners like Canon P-215.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...e-canon-p-215/

If you already have a digital camera you might like this idea too:

http://www.booksorber.com/index.php?page=features#easy

Last edited by markom; 06-26-2013 at 06:07 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
It depends on whether you're willing to destroy the book to scan it also. If you cut the spine off the book, you can run it through a desktop scanner with a page feeder that will do duplex.

I've scanned a few books without destroying them. I can set my scanner to automatically keep scanning with a pause time in between scans of two seconds. That's enough time for me to turn the page and put the book back down on the scanner. This way takes more time obviously, but it doesn't ruin the book.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
It depends on whether you're willing to destroy the book to scan it also. If you cut the spine off the book, you can run it through a desktop scanner with a page feeder that will do duplex.

I've scanned a few books without destroying them. I can set my scanner to automatically keep scanning with a pause time in between scans of two seconds. That's enough time for me to turn the page and put the book back down on the scanner. This way takes more time obviously, but it doesn't ruin the book.
Interesting feature. I've used ABBYY Fine Reader with an HP DeskJet 3070A to scan some Japanese books into PDF/A format. It has worked surprisingly well, and those books are now searchable and it is easy to do annotations in Adobe Reader. However, I have to click for each spread (folio? two pages), it probably doesn't take more than two seconds anyway, but being essentially lazy that feature is appealing. How do you take a break with that method?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's dependent on the drivers that come with your scanner. I was using a Canon CanoScan 8800F for some of the books and another scanner for another (which I can't remember right now).
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Have you considered photographing?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic

I looked at some of the videos on YouTube where people have made the machines with two cameras and two pieces of glass set in a V where they lift the glass, turn the page and then take another picture. They looked like a lot of work to build, let alone buying two cameras to work with it. If I were scanning lots of books, I might consider building one. I don't think this is what the OP had in mind.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Ion Audio 'booksaver' looked promising.
There were quality control /or shipping sensitivity issues that one user resolved by making internal focus adjustments (not your normal user task).
The other issue was they never released it in the USA
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
That's ingenius. Which software has a setting for pause?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
never used it yet, but there's some interesting apps on android market for using camera on phones/tablets to 'scan' by taking photos of each page.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately that doesn't work very well. I have tried a few and in reality it is difficult unless you are two, the book simply won't lie flat enough to get a good picture.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't work very well. I have tried a few and in reality it is difficult unless you are two, the book simply won't lie flat enough to get a good picture.
The "V-shaped" platten in those youtube videos (and at the diybookscanner.org site) holds the pages flat so the cameras can take a great picture.

But, if building your own scanner, or purchasing their pre-made scanner kit, is more than you want to attempt, there are flat bed scanners that have narrow bezels around the glass so that you can get a good flat scan of the page (example here).

The ABBYY Finereader program allows you to pause between scans...selecting multiple page scan allows the option of setting how many seconds to wait between successive scans.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Yes, I did discover the pause setting in ABBYY Fine Reader, unfortunately I probably have some severe case of ADD, when I take up the book to change page all too often I start reading something on that page and then you never know how long it will take. My mind start to wander into the book instead of focusing on the task at hand.