Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
zephyrmays
zephyrmays began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone
Force a CSS Refresh?

How do I force a refresh of the html files when I've made a change in the CSS styling?

Apologies if I"m missing something obvious.

Btw version 0.6 is a huge improvement over version I used 15 months ago... I'd all but given up my desire to create an ebook... well done.
zephyrmays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just close the tab for that XML you want to update. Then double click and you'll see it as you should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
zephyrmays

Thanks for the quick reply; however, closing and reopening the html file did not seem to refresh the properties defined in my stylesheet.

There isn't a keyboard command for this?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I usually see the results right away, as I return after altering the css. There may be a bracket missing, semicolon instead of colon. Practically anything wrong can invalidate the following css.

Use Tools to check the css, to make sure.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
zephyrmays

When I select

Tools -> Validate Stylesheets with W3C

nothing happens... does that mean it passed?
Again, am I missing something?

I appreciate all the replies on a Saturday evening!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
zephyrmays

To shed a bit of light one what exactly I'm doing:

I am adjusting the settings of the tables in my epub using the style sheet:

Code:
table {
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
width: 70%;
border-collapse: collapse;
}
and have found that the changes only appear when I close and reopen the Sigil program. (the above worked beautifully for my needs, finally)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It normally automatically refreshes for me as well.

I'm just guessing here...
If you select all of your html files...right click on one and select "Link Stylesheets..." then make sure that the stylesheet you want has a check in the box.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
zephyrmays

yes, they are for sure linked, and changes I make to the styleshhet that effect tables are only rendered when I close and open the program.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <link href="1H-60T-1_files/filelist.xml" rel="File-List" />
  <link href="1H-60T-1_files/themedata.xml" rel="themeData" />

<title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/Formatting%20Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
  <h1 id="sigil_toc_id_25">SECTION 1 Part A - SYSTEMS</h1>
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I'd get rid of that space in the file name. It may be causing you trouble-%20
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
zephyrmays

And more info:

In code view, when I add the class to the <p> tag the change shows up immediately when switching to book view. However, a subsequent change to the stylesheet doesn't render until I close and re-open the program.

Doesn't seem to matter if the object is text or table.
Code:
  <p class="note">This is sample text for a NOTE.</p>
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
zephyrmays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I'd get rid of that space in the file name. It may be causing you trouble-%20
You hit it on the head! Rookie mistake, I should've known better. Deleting that space seems to have fixed it. All changes in stylesheet reflecting in html files just by switching between the tabs; no save, tab close or shutdown required!

Many thanks for looking at my posts - happy Super Sunday!

Regards,
Zephyr
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrmays View Post
When I select

Tools -> Validate Stylesheets with W3C

nothing happens... does that mean it passed?
Again, am I missing something?

I appreciate all the replies on a Saturday evening!
No, something is wrong. Your browser should open, you should see an initial message (instructions on what to do if it does not proceed), the you are at W3C with a Green or Red banner
Go for Green
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
zephyrmays

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No, something is wrong. Your browser should open, you should see an initial message (instructions on what to do if it does not proceed), the you are at W3C with a Green or Red banner
Go for Green
Any ideas on fixing this? I looked thru the Preferences and didn't see anything for setting default browser (I primarily use safari on 10.8.2, but have Firefox and Chrome installed as well...)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
From what I can tell Sigil creates an html page and sends that file to the vaildator....at least the address shows:
Quote:
file:///C:/Users/Dion/AppData/Local/Temp/sigil_246ecfed-e857-4291-a37c-93458cbad248.html
when I click on Validate stylesheets.

I have never set a default web browser within Sigil - and don't see a location that would let you set one.

So, I would think that it is just trying to open an html page and relying on your system defaults to open a browser.

You may need to go into your OS settings and (re)select a default browser. (Right click on an html file, select open with, and select default when using windows)

The next thing I would try is making sure you clean out any addons/plugins/bars - I've had those cause cause conflicts in the past.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Wild guess here...

If you're on Windows (XP or more recent version), perhaps this is a Limited User Account (LUA) / permissions related problem? Or it could be a firewall issue - with Sigil not being authorized to send data to your browser.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, refresh