Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #91
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Wow, gorgeous photos, Todd! Great lighting too. That color looks SO much nicer than I expected. Did you say that was the light brown? It looks much richer than the seller's photo showed.

I'm glad to finally know about the material used. I'm a little bummed that its not genuine, but not too bummed, because it's still very nice looking (and frankly, I couldn't tell the difference). But like Fauxpas said...it's a darned good cover for a quarter of the price

Last edited by Vmurph; 12-07-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #92
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine took 10 days also. But I'm in the US. For some reason, shipments to Germany take a week longer (3wks). Which is odd, considering it's on the same continent as the origin and much closer.

My second order (purple & dark brown) shipped on the 5th, so hopefully it'll be here next weekend. I'll post photos when they arrive. I'm still dying to know how the light blue looks in person.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #93
AlanE
AlanE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite 6th gen, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
Yesterday I ordered what appears to be the same cover from:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kindl...em-description
For only $10.60 about £7
It arrived Wednesday 5/12. It hadn't shown up in Royal Mail's tracking system the previous afternoon so it came as a pleasant surprise, it wasn't on a slow boat from China after all.

It is identical to that photographed by toddmp except for the colour, I opted for black in the end - the boyfriend thought the light blue would be too camp.

The case is well constructed and the paperwhite fits perfectly. The 'hinge' was a little stiff at first making it reluctant to close but with a little flexing it is now fine. I was surprised that the magnet isn't strong enough to help in holding the cover closed, I don't know if this is true for the official cover. Overall I think it was a good buy, excellent value.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #94
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
I was surprised that the magnet isn't strong enough to help in holding the cover closed,
The magnet is weak by design. With stronger magnets, when the cover is folded all the way back, the magnetic pull will pass straight through the rear cover and turn off the device. That happened with a lot of the early Nexus 7 covers. They ended up redesigning them and recalling the first batch.

Quote:
I don't know if this is true for the official cover.
I believe the official one has 2 magnets. A weak one in the lower corner, over the wake/sleep mechanism. And a stronger one in the silver clip on the edge. That's the one that keeps it closed. That one is far enough away from the mechanism that it won't affect the device when folded back.

Last edited by Vmurph; 12-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #95
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Vmurph, I am in the US as well, so should be any day now.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #96
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Vmurph, I am in the US as well, so should be any day now.
Oh I didn't know that. I thought you and Fauxpas were both in Germany.

I'm anxious to get my other two. It'll be the first time in a long time, that I've ordered a device cover that wasn't black. I got so tired of receiving products that looked nothing like the colors they were advertised to be, that I just started ordering everything in black. Hard to mess up the color black, right?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #97
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
The Royal Purple cover from Amazon showed up today.
Took about 40 hours from hitting the order button and it showing up on my doorstep. Amazon is always very good in beeing on time with shipments. Looks really beautiful - maybe a little darker than the pictures on Amazon, but that might be my monitor. Compared to the Kindle Touch cover the front and the spine is a bit stiffer. Also the surface on PW cover feels a bit more luxurious - not so shiny and smooth. The inside of the front cover is no longer that smooth felt material, but some "grippier" denim like stuff. I really do like the magnetic closure - seems to hold pretty good. Only problem right now is the arrival of the Paperwhite itself - won't be back in stock until Dec 20th

Oh and a note to the colored wrap around the device: I highly doubt it will be distracting. The black KT cover has that black plastic/rubber wrapped around - while the front of the KT is dark grey/silver. Looks good that way. The PW is going to look just like it, except the front of PW will be black and the thin edge of dark purple around it. Not sure how the lighter colors going to look like, but the purple goes well with black

edit: grrr, now it says Dec 20 instead of 19 - wonder if I can get it for xmas yet or not

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #98
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
is there something similar for the older model (K4 S or B), something that any of you have tried? I don't own K4 so I wasn't interested before, but now is an excellent time to buy Christmas gifts :-)
thanks!
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #99
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
is there something similar for the older model (K4 S or B), something that any of you have tried? I don't own K4 so I wasn't interested before, but now is an excellent time to buy Christmas gifts :-)
thanks!
Yes, that same ebay seller has covers for all of the current kindle models. For some reason he's listing the different colors separately, so you'll have to browse through his listings to find a color you want. The K4 ones are only $9.90.

I'm typing this from my iPod, so I don't have a link for you. But his user ID is "googleproduct". Just go to his eBay store and search the word "kindle" along with the number "4".

He even has lighted covers for just $19.99.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #100
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay, my two red covers from Ebay arrived today. They are smaller than the official PW cover, because there is no rubbery plastic frame around the device, which cuts down on a few milimeters all around. When I hold a PW in the red cover next to my K4B with the official cover, there is almost no size difference, which I like. The red is a real tomatosauce red. It's dark now, but I'll take pictures and comparison pictures in daylight.
The closure is the same as on the official K4 cover, or that of any hardcover book: it is not securely closed, which was never a problem on my K4s.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #101
xendula
eBookworm

Now the same seller has a cover that has a magnetic closure like the original cover!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #102
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Now the same seller has a cover that has a magnetic closure like the original cover!
Ack! Darn, I've already ordered 3 of the other kind.

Hm. I just looked at them. I love the closure, but the colors aren't nearly as nice as the non-closure ones. Also, did you notice the backs of them? I'm not crazy about the huge amount of plastic back there. It makes them look cheaper. The ones we bought look like the entire back is leather. Those new ones look like it just has a leather patch on the back.

I think I prefer the ones I got. But I'm so jealous of the closure clip
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #103
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The back of the magnetic cover looks pretty ugly with the leather patch...
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #104
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

The magnetic closure is done a bit clumsy - the magnet is visible when the cover is open - not as nice as the invisible from original. I noticed that they are really trying to make an exact copy of the original cover. At first it was looking nice to have kindle on the cover, but they are stepping closer and closer into the grey zone. The black wrap around is also gone in this iteration - they stole another feature from the original - the colored plastic around the device itself.

And since they are clearly marking it with the kindle-logo, they send the clear message: This is everything the original cover has, but this rip-off is a lot cheaper.

Do I think the Amazon cover is priced a bit expensive? Yes definately, but I don't regret getting it. Partly you pay for the brand name, but also since it is branded it comes with the peace of mind that it was engineered to work and look good with the PW. I think for my own cover I will refrain from a copy-cat and choose the one with clasp from post #27. Other than color it will look also different than my wifes. Plus it makes it clear that it is an aftermarket case.

Update: just ordered the coffee colored one with clasp. Anyone needs a picture once it arrives, just howler.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #105
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have both the unofficial non-magnetic cover and the official one. The official one really feels like a premium product and makes using the PW more pleasurable!

I find the unofficial one perfectly adequate too, but it's functional rather than something I love.

You get what you pay for.... And both choices are good value....
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote