Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's why we're telling them now .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why we're telling them now .
Solution to the problem...

1. Make the eBook in ePub making it how you want it to look.
2. Convert the ePub to Mobipocket using Calibre.
3. If some things don't properly convert, then Mobipocket doesn't supports those features.
4. Learn from this so you won't have to ask why it's not working.
5. It's not working because Mobipocket is an obsolete format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I disagree that just because float does not work it means there is no solution to it.
There are usually several ways to do things, this one did not work, so what?
Not that I have another solution, but it's still worth trying.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I disagree that just because float does not work it means there is no solution to it.
No, it's not worth trying. It's a waste of time because it never has worked, never will work and there is no alternative.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Certainly it's worth trying, but in all the years that Mobi's been around (which is a good many), nobody's yet come up with a way to do drop caps, so it's a problem that doesn't have an easy solution, if it has a solution at all.

Would an alternate, such as a large initial letter, be practical for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
tesseract420
tesseract420 is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-500
Drop Caps not supported in mobi

I thought I'd include this which I found in a book I am reading; it's not perfect but it comes close: (the URL is
http://imgur.com/p58Bg)

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-27-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: fixed image problem
tesseract420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract420 View Post
I thought I'd include this which I found in a book I am reading; it's not perfect but it comes close: (I don't know why image is not showing up, the URL is
http://imgur.com/p58Bg

What device are you reading it on?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What device are you reading it on?
For the love of heaven, that's simply K8. Not magic. Probably on the Touch or one of the others. Dropcaps work perfectly fine on all K8-supported devices, as we know. If it's not K8, then it's simply a Topaz book. No mysteries here.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
For the love of heaven, that's simply K8. Not magic. Probably on the Touch or one of the others. Dropcaps work perfectly fine on all K8-supported devices, as we know. If it's not K8, then it's simply a Topaz book. No mysteries here.

Hitch
That is not from an eink Kindle. The two eink Kindles that support KF8 have a much larger line-height that cannot be changed. That would have to be a Kindle Fire if it is indeed a Kindle.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is not from an eink Kindle. The two eink Kindles that support KF8 have a much larger line-height that cannot be changed. That would have to be a Kindle Fire if it is indeed a Kindle.
Wolfie:

I concur, but I was covering the bases; it's possible it's Topaz, although that dropcap is so crappy I think not.

For Tesseract: Dropcaps are easily done in K8 format now; most tweaking is done simply based on fonts, as each tends to be slightly different and requires some line-height adjustment; we use a media-call fallback for the K7 (or, as some call it, the K6) version for the e-ink devices, creating the same type of "Raised Initial" that Calibre creates. This is a pretty easy solution.

I wonder what old ws64 ever came up with? S/he was pretty adamantine about those drops being doable in K7 e-ink. I remember one guy got so desperate he made his so-called "drops" (actually, not) images of letters with floral accompaniment. I thought they looked pretty turgid, myself (yes, I mean swollen), and of course, they wouldn't resize when the text did.

Hitch
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wolfie:

I concur, but I was covering the bases; it's possible it's Topaz, although that dropcap is so crappy I think not.

For Tesseract: Dropcaps are easily done in K8 format now; most tweaking is done simply based on fonts, as each tends to be slightly different and requires some line-height adjustment; we use a media-call fallback for the K7 (or, as some call it, the K6) version for the e-ink devices, creating the same type of "Raised Initial" that Calibre creates. This is a pretty easy solution.
I forgot about the line-height adjustment. The Kindle firmware versions 4.1 and 5.1 don't respond to line-height. So Drop cap might not actually work properly on the two eink Kindles.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This was also cross-posted in the MOBI forum. Further evidence in that thread clearly indicates a KF8 file, IMO: dropcap in Kindle for Mac ... simple, enlarged, initial first-letter on iPhone.

The whole Fire vs Touch line-height thingy hardly seemed relevant to me in this case, JS, but great job tracking that down if it's true.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This was also cross-posted in the MOBI forum. Further evidence in that thread clearly indicates a KF8 file, IMO: dropcap in Kindle for Mac ... simple, enlarged, initial first-letter on iPhone.

The whole Fire vs Touch line-height thingy hardly seemed relevant to me in this case, JS, but great job tracking that down if it's true.
Yes, it is true. I've seen the line-height bug on the Kindle Touch running 5.1.2. Because of this bug, if the eBook doesn't use any formatting that Mobi cannot handle, just create Mobi and forget KF8/AZW3.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I forgot about the line-height adjustment. The Kindle firmware versions 4.1 and 5.1 don't respond to line-height. So Drop cap might not actually work properly on the two eink Kindles.
One of us is speaking in tongues, Wolfie:

I never said that it would work on an e-ink Kindle. I said it was a K8 styling (Fire, Kindle for Droid, K for iPad, etc.). That's why we use the K7 fallback coding to create the Raised Initial, which doesn't need line-height adjustments. We use media calls for the K7/K8 alternatives.

Did I misspeak somewhere? It's entirely possible...

Hitch
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did I misspeak somewhere?
If so, I missed it. I just think someone might be a little obsessed with the line-height bug—which might be involved in making dropcaps look better, but certainly has no bearing on whether they're at all possible. Like you initially said ... there is no mystery here. It's a KF8 file (the screen shot). The rest is noise.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.