Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer
hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3 3G
Chapters / Bookmarks

Hey guys- quick question. I had an HTML book. When originally converted to MOBI it had chapters about halfway through, including the bookmarks so you could skip chapters. But I think the book had too many chapters so Calibre ignored the excess.

I corrected this and now the TOC includes all chapters. Sadly, there are now no bookmarks at all and skipping chapters is impossible without going all the way to the table of contents.

Any thoughts / help?

Thanks! Loving Calibre so far
hoyasaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I corrected this and now the TOC includes all chapters. Sadly, there are now no bookmarks at all and skipping chapters is impossible without going all the way to the table of contents.
What version of calibre are you using? If you aren't using 0.7.44 then upgrade and reconvert the book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer
hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
What version of calibre are you using? If you aren't using 0.7.44 then upgrade and reconvert the book.
thanks for the reply! I am using the most up-to-date version. I upgraded a few days ago.

Any other thoughts? Is there anything in the settings that controls how chapters get bookmarked?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
thanks for the reply! I am using the most up-to-date version. I upgraded a few days ago.
Still didn't say yes or no to version 0.7.44? This version came out Friday evening EST (-5 GMT) about 39 hours ago. It also included this new feature.
Quote:
New Features
  • MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files. Closes tickets: 8721
I don't have a Kindle but I thought that is what you were asking about.

Quote:
Any other thoughts? Is there anything in the settings that controls how chapters get bookmarked?
Hopefully some Kindle savvy person will have the answer for you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer

Quote:
Still didn't say yes or no to version 0.7.44? This version came out Friday evening EST (-5 GMT) about 39 hours ago.
Yeah, I have this version because I wanted the furthest-read tracking.

Quote:
Hopefully some Kindle savvy person will have the answer for you.
Thanks. me too.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Still didn't say yes or no to version 0.7.44? This version came out Friday evening EST (-5 GMT) about 39 hours ago. It also included this new feature.
Quote:
MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.
I don't have a Kindle but I thought that is what you were asking about.
I don't think hoyasaxa is referring to synching "furthest read". I think they're referring to problems with the NCX file (which, on the Kindle, enables skipping back and forth between chapters without bouncing back to the inline/HTML TOC each time.)
Quote:
Hey guys- quick question. I had an HTML book. When originally converted to MOBI it had chapters about halfway through, including the bookmarks so you could skip chapters. But I think the book had too many chapters so Calibre ignored the excess.
Ummm... what exactly do you mean when you say it "had chapters about halfway through"...?
Quote:
I corrected this and now the TOC includes all chapters.
When you say "TOC" do you mean an inline, HTML TOC? Or do you mean the NCX/EPUB TOC which adds "tick marks" to the progress bar on the Kindle?
Quote:
Sadly, there are now no bookmarks at all and skipping chapters is impossible without going all the way to the table of contents.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it really confusing trying to work out what's happening here, hoyasaxa.

There are two types of TOC:

1. An NCX file, which contains navigation points coded in XML - most EPUB readers will use the NCX file to present a TOC to the user, which they can use to navigate around the book. However in a MOBI book on a Kindle, the NCX file simply adds tick marks on the progress bar (corresponding to the navigation points), and makes it possible to skip to previous/next navigation points (usually chapters) using the 5-way control button.

2. An inline HTML TOC which forms part of the book content. While not usually needed in an EPUB, this is the only type of TOC which the Kindle will present to the user. Ideally, in a Kindle ebook, you want both an inline TOC and an NCX file.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you initially had no HTML TOC and NCX navigation for the first half of the book, but now you have an inline, HTML TOC but no NCX navigation? I'm sure I must have picked that up wrong - could you explain again what's happening, but clarifying when you're referring to an inline TOC and when you're referring to the NCX navigation? That way, someone might be able to advise.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer

Hey! Thanks!

I had half of an inline TOC, and half of an NCX (tickmarks). I recreated the MOBI and it gave me a full inline TOC but no NCX (no tickmarks). I want to have (of course) a full inline TOC and all the tickmarks
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Try this: convert the HTML book to EPUB, edit it in Sigil (make sure to have a correct TOC), then convert the EPUB file to MOBI.
By editing with Sigil, you can make sure the book have a correct NCX file, then calibre will automatically insert the correct inline TOC when converting EPUB to MOBI.

Last edited by atjnjk; 02-06-2011 at 11:28 PM.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
Try this: convert the HTML book to EPUB, edit it in Sigil (make sure to have a correct TOC), then convert the EPUB file to MOBI.
By editing with Sigil, you can make sure the book have a correct NCX file, then calibre will automatically insert the correct inline TOC when converting EPUB to MOBI.
Is there anything I'll need to do, specifically, in Sigil, besdies open->save->close?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Assuming the chapter headings in the HTML file are coded as actual headings (h1, h2, h3, etc), when you edit it in Sigil use the TOC Editor to create a full NCX file for all of the chapter headings (you won't see the NCX file, but it'll be created by the TOC Editor). That will then be incorporated in the EPUB when you save it in Sigil, and will be incorporated by Calibre in the conversion to MOBI format. Calibre can also be set to autogenerate an inline TOC from the headings coded in the HTML when converting to MOBI - it will actually be placed at the end of the HTML content, but with the correct marker to enable the Kindle to link to it via the Kindle's "Go To..." menu.

Hope that made sense!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer

excellent. thanks!