Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
How do you combat burnout?

I guess firstly I should ask if anyone suffers reading burnout? If so, how do you combat it?

I'm not talking about needing a few minutes away from a book. What I mean by reading burnout is when you are reading so much that even though you are enjoying your books you just don't want to read anymore. You feel like you need a break for a good few days at least.

Anyone else feel that occasionally or is it only me?

Personally, when I get in this sort of funk, I have to burn of energy by doing physical things like running, kung fu or going to the gym until I'm exhausted and my legs hurt which usually takes a few days of excessive exercise. That seems to clear my head and also makes the idea of sitting down for hours at a time for a few days of reading a lot more appealing!

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Haven't experienced burnout, but I do alternate what I read. I prefer nonfiction, but I alternate with classics, for instance, to switch things up. Otherwise it'd feel like just eating from one food group, no matter how much I like it.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
My main problem recently have been in finding boks I actually like to read... I don't quite seem able to concentrate on reading for longer stretches at a time.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh sure, I burn out often. No big deal. The books will still be there when I'm in the mood to read again.

I'm certain that ebooks and the unlimited access to reading materials is the cause of burn out for me. I no longer finish a book, put it away, then do something else. Now I finish one and immediately start the next. I blame this also for my worsening ability to remember a book.

You are normal, and getting away from reading for a few days is just the right cure for burn out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've found that since I've got an ereader I don't tend to suffer as much from burnout as I used to. I think it's because if I'm not ib the mood or struggling to read one particular book I just pick another one until I find the one that engages me. When I was reading paper books and struggling for space I'd only ever have about 5 unread books at a time to choose from. But now I have hundreds of unread books on my device that I can select from at anytime. Plus it was more of an effort to go and get 5 books and try to see which one I wanted to read. Also if I was away from home I only tended to bring one book with me, so if I wasn't into it at that point in time I was stuck with it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Hasn't ever happened, worst I've seen is after a long string of books by the same author I may need to switch authors for a bit.

Too many books, not enough time.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I try to switch gears and do something completely different for a while. Even if I keep reading, I'll change up type of books. Scifi to historical nonfiction or something like that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I quit cold turkey for a couple weeks.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I sometimes devour books, and sometimes can't read more than half a page. It comes and it goes, but I wouldn't call it a burnout.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Reading burnout has not been a problem for me. I have ADD and, unless a book is really sensational, I can't concentrate long enough to suffer from reading burnout. I tend to read in frequent, short sessions as opposed to fewer but longer sessions.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Hasn't ever happened, worst I've seen is after a long string of books by the same author I may need to switch authors for a bit.

Too many books, not enough time.

Yes, me too. I have burned out twice on Pratchett. Those books are so good that I gorge myself on them until I get sick of them. Speaking of which, I think maybe it is about time to get back to Discworld. I think my next is book 11 or 12. The last was "Guards! Guards!" And the two new ones that I listened to on my iPod, "Going Postal" and the one about basketball.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I have burned out twice on Pratchett.
Love it. Pratchett is the only author that springs to mind that I have 'burnt-out' on.

I am re-reading them on and off at the moment. I got from The Colour of Magic to Moving Pictures in about 2 sessions of 'chain-Pratchetting' (as soon as you put one out, you pick up another one) and I really had to have a break from anything Discworld. It was about a month before I could pick up Reaper Man.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Hasn't ever happened, worst I've seen is after a long string of books by the same author I may need to switch authors for a bit...
I have burned out on authors because they start becoming repititious as though they have run out of ideas. David Eddings was one. Even though I loved the dry humor of his characters, it wore thin after a while. After I finished his last series, I vowed to never read any more of his books because the last few essentially had the same plot (still, it's a pity he passed away a couple of years ago).

I also burned out on Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Again, the plots were becoming too similar.

Same for Brian Jacques Redwall series. Every book I read was practically a clone of the previous ones.

I've one more book to go in Steven Donaldson's latest (and, hopefully, last) Thomas Covenant series (afik, it hasn't come out yet). I read one of his other books in a different genre and the plot still generally followed the same line his others I read have so the last book of the current series will be my last of his.

The only reason I'm still reading Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series is I've gone far enough to want to see the conclusion but it has been milked to death. Even if Jordon hadn't passed away, this series would have been the last of anything of his I would have read (all three of his Fallon books, written under another name, had similar plots).

I may burn out on certain authors but there are plenty more so burn out from reading in general is not likely to ever happen.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I do get "burnout." I'm one who voraciously reads through authors one at a time (if they are in series), or reads in a certain genre or something like that. I always have to have *something,* so when I hit those points, I usually focus on things like logic problems, number puzzles, or something else where my brain is engaged. I have to do stuff like that in order to 'relax' my brain before going to sleep, especially. It's either reading or brain puzzles. If a book is particularly intense and likely to seep into my dreams, I'll do puzzles afterwards to relax my brain. Too many puzzles though, and I dream of those instead
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
[...] so when I hit those points, I usually focus on things like logic problems, number puzzles, or something else where my brain is engaged. I have to do stuff like that in order to 'relax' my brain before going to sleep, especially. It's either reading or brain puzzles. If a book is particularly intense and likely to seep into my dreams, I'll do puzzles afterwards to relax my brain. Too many puzzles though, and I dream of those instead
I think you just gave me a great idea of how to deal with when the brain just goes running and running and running - and you can't stop or relax enough to sleep. (Easy) Puzzles could be a gentle way of concentrating on something and slowing down. Reading is not always structured enough - too exiting to make one relax
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote