Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #46
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Back on track, a type of book I enjoy that, well maybe others don't hate but they do ignore, is westerns. It's a shame how far westerns have fallen.

I don't care so much for their historical accuracy. I haven't read Louis L'Amour.

I enjoy the larger than life operatic elements you can find in them. In film, I prefer the Italian spaghetti westerns and in books, there was a group of British writers in the 60s and 70s called the Piccadilly Cowboys who churned out tons of western novels, though none of them had ever been west of Piccadilly (that was the joke in their name). There's something about that type of story that really speaks to me.
I don't know if you speak Spanish. If you do it, try to find books by Marcel Lafuente Estefanía.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know if you speak Spanish. If you do it, try to find books by Marcel Lafuente Estefanía.
No. But I just checked Amazon to see if any English translations showed . No luck

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-16-2022 at 09:53 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Back on track, a type of book I enjoy that, well maybe others don't hate but they do ignore, is westerns. It's a shame how far westerns have fallen.

I don't care so much for their historical accuracy. I haven't read Louis L'Amour.

I enjoy the larger than life operatic elements you can find in them. In film, I prefer the Italian spaghetti westerns and in books, there was a group of British writers in the 60s and 70s called the Piccadilly Cowboys who churned out tons of western novels, though none of them had ever been west of Piccadilly (that was the joke in their name). There's something about that type of story that really speaks to me.
Louis L'Amour was my favorite even as a kid. I read lots of westerns growing up and always hated the ones with the protagonist struggling through the story make all kinds of mistakes and miraculously pulling out the win at the end. The one thing I liked about LL was his protagonists, men and women, were smart and tough.
If you read one LL book, get The Walking Drum. It is a historical novel set in Europe and the Middle East in the 12th century.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Louis L'Amour was my favorite even as a kid. I read lots of westerns growing up and always hated the ones with the protagonist struggling through the story make all kinds of mistakes and miraculously pulling out the win at the end. The one thing I liked about LL was his protagonists, men and women, were smart and tough.
If you read one LL book, get The Walking Drum. It is a historical novel set in Europe and the Middle East in the 12th century.
Apache
I'll eventually read some. He's such a touchstone I kind of have to. My uncle is a big fan. I just think of his books being similar to the old John Wayne westerns that I'm not a fan of.

The westerns I like are more gritty and grimy. Morality is more gray. Stuff like Bodie the Stalker by Mike Linaker, Crow by Laurence James or The Guns of Sapinero by Peter Brandvold.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:07 PM   #50
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My grandfather was a voracious reader of westerns. Back when I started branching out there were few sold in the book stores and those never engaged me. My library sells donated books for $1 and one time it had this tome, the Morrow Anthology of Great Western Short Stories. I picked it up remembering that I wanted to find some good westerns. There were quite a few stories in it that I really enjoyed. But good short story writers aren't necessarily good novel writers and I haven't found any novels by the ones that I've liked. I've tried to find western writers that work for me on Project Gutenberg, Faded Page, etc. but it's rather hit and miss.

Anyhow, for a recommendation I still say the Injun and Whitey series is a fun read:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=330868

I also uploaded here two epubs by Knibbs and I'm guessing that I liked those.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-16-2022 at 10:26 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2022, 11:20 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I've tried to find western writers that work for me on Project Gutenberg, Faded Page, etc. but it's rather hit and miss.
You'd likely be better off with a newer western, rather than PD stuff.

A cheapie that I enjoyed is Incident at Butler's Station by Mike Linaker (writing as Richard Wyler. Many western authors write under pseudonyms). It's a take on the 'characters defending a place from a horde' trope. Think Rio Bravo, Night of the Living Dead or Assault on Precinct 13.

$2 if you'd like to try it.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #52
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You'd likely be better off with a newer western, rather than PD stuff.

A cheapie that I enjoyed is Incident at Butler's Station by Mike Linaker (writing as Richard Wyler. Many western authors write under pseudonyms). It's a take on the 'characters defending a place from a horde' trope. Think Rio Bravo, Night of the Living Dead or Assault on Precinct 13.

$2 if you'd like to try it.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #53
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll eventually read some. He's such a touchstone I kind of have to. My uncle is a big fan. I just think of his books being similar to the old John Wayne westerns that I'm not a fan of.

The westerns I like are more gritty and grimy. Morality is more gray. Stuff like Bodie the Stalker by Mike Linaker, Crow by Laurence James or The Guns of Sapinero by Peter Brandvold.
For me it is the descriptive way he writes. His descriptions of the country, peopleand his knowledge of the times make the books come alive. I can actual;ly see the country and wish I was there. The first time my wife read The Walking Drum she was amazed at his description of the land at sunrise. It made you want to be there to see it.
Apache
Old 02-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #54
Apache
Readaholic

Another favorite book is Shoot Him On Sight by William Colt MacDonald. Unfortunately it is only available in paper. I still have mine and do reread it occasionally.
https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Sight-W.../dp/B000GFZZU4
Apache
Old 02-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
For me it is the descriptive way he writes. His descriptions of the country, peopleand his knowledge of the times make the books come alive. I can actual;ly see the country and wish I was there. The first time my wife read The Walking Drum she was amazed at his description of the land at sunrise. It made you want to be there to see it.
Apache
You are doing a good job of selling me on Louis L'Amour. I freely admit I judged him based not on his books, but my impression of his books without having read them.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Another favorite book is Shoot Him On Sight by William Colt MacDonald. Unfortunately it is only available in paper. I still have mine and do reread it occasionally.
https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Sight-W.../dp/B000GFZZU4
Apache
That book isn't available, but it looks like a number of his books are available and cheap at that. One standalone and two doubles: Titles By William Colt MacDonald
Old 02-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #57
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
That book isn't available, but it looks like a number of his books are available and cheap at that. One standalone and two doubles: Titles By William Colt MacDonald
I can stand to lose two bucks if I don't like the book so I bought The Battle at Three-Cross.

For the fans of the muscled shirtless male there's even The Red Raider for two bucks.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
For the fans of the muscled shirtless male there's even The Red Raider for two bucks.
It's a win/win. A book everyone can complain about!
Old 02-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I can stand to lose two bucks if I don't like the book so I bought The Battle at Three-Cross.

I've never read the author, but at those cheap prices, I bought all of the books available except the Wildside collection. Why I skipped that one is anybody's guess.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #60
Apache
Readaholic

Damn, I just checked Abebooks and Shoot Him On Sight goes from $5.00 to $25.00 used.
Apache