Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Brand new Oasis 3 just developed a vertical line across screen

My brand new Oasis 3 just developed a vertical line across the screen. It looks like it is 1 pixel wide. Only had the thing since Saturday. No drops or bumps, been treated with great care. I tried a restart but the line is still there. I’m going to return it. Given the disappointment with the online collections management fiasco, I don’t think I want a replacement. They can have it back. I’ll just stick with the iOS apps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F87AD4B-4A87-4415-9087-23E89AEC3EF6.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	175330   Click image for larger version

Name:	47EE43A3-EC50-45DE-8423-46B9BD163FBF.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	175331  
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
That's really weird. I've never seen anything like this.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A search on the internet turned up some similar Kindles with this issue. Strange how it happened without a drop or a bump though. I initially said I wouldn’t replace it, just return it instead. Then I arranged for a replacement after more consideration. But then the order showed up in my Amazon account with a big letter “R” following it. I’m going to call them tomorrow and see if that means “refurbished” and I think it does. I’m not accepting a refurbished unit for a 5 day old defective brand new unit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D50BCD7A-2544-49D8-9DFD-3DCA586ABA4E.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	175332  
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Maybe the R is for replacement?
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
A refurb can actually be a better unit, as they are mostly units returned because the buyer changed their minds in the first 30 days. They get checked and used for warranty replacement.

But, if you're in that 30 day window, do a normal return, not a replacement thru CS, and buy another one.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I think it probably is for “replacement” as I just checked the invoice and it lists the condition as New. So I’ll hope for the best. I know when I went through replacement with a few early model Paperwhites some replacements were new and at least one was refurbished. If it doesn’t look good I will just return it and be done with them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C171FF2F-A48C-4E1B-A55D-F382F2AD5DD2.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	175333  
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looks like the only units they have in stock are the 32gb, champagne gold, no special offers version. I would be suspicious of the R as well, but it does state that it's "new"... Also indicates it's coming from "warehouse deals, inc." instead of "Amazon Digital Services, Inc." which is odd
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
troyrich2
troyrich2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I think it probably is for “replacement” as I just checked the invoice and it lists the condition as New. So I’ll hope for the best. I know when I went through replacement with a few early model Paperwhites some replacements were new and at least one was refurbished. If it doesn’t look good I will just return it and be done with them.
I was just in a chat with customer service over this for my exchange, the "R" 100% stands for refurbished they confirmed it themselves , it took nearly 3 hours for me to get them to cancel the exchange and send me a brand new one. They said their system selects wether to send a referb or new device depending on what's in stock, and that they have no control over which it sends . As the oasis 3 is currently out of stock theyre sending refurbished devices right now. I got them to start a return and they will automatically send me a brand new one when it's back in stock on the 25th, and when it gets here I send my old one back.
troyrich2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Refurbished is not necessarily bad. But if you don't want a refurb then do a return, rather than a replacement as already suggested.

Vertical lines are more common as a corollary of a drop or impact. But it's hardly mandatory. The root cause is a loose or dislodged display connector. Just bad luck and hardly worth losing sleep over. So do a return and problem solved.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's really weird. I've never seen anything like this.

Yeah, well see my thread on my Oasis 1, released in 2016, if you wish to see additional photos.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Refurbished is not necessarily bad. But if you don't want a refurb then do a return, rather than a replacement as already suggested.

Vertical lines are more common as a corollary of a drop or impact. But it's hardly mandatory. The root cause is a loose or dislodged display connector. Just bad luck and hardly worth losing sleep over. So do a return and problem solved.
Well I paid for brand new unit and it was only 5 days old, so it is kind of a big deal to me. Even more so since I went through three replacements for the PW1 and two replacements for the PW2 because their screens were so awful. In the end I returned the last replacement for the PW1 and the PW2 then waited several years before trying another lighted model. After all these years they should have figured out how to achieve better quality control. If I get a refurbished unit on Monday it will immediately be returned and I won’t try again. I’m not going through multiple replacements like I did with the PW’s years ago.

And yes I’ve actually bought refurbished items in the past, but I paid less for them than a new item, plus it was my choice. If I buy a new item and it has to be replaced in 5 days then I expect a new replacement. If the item has to be replaced several months after the purchase I might understand getting a refurbished replacement, but not for an item that is less than a week old.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Perfectably understandable. So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket
if you don't want a refurb then do a return, rather than a replacement
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrich2 View Post
I was just in a chat with customer service over this for my exchange, the "R" 100% stands for refurbished they confirmed it themselves , it took nearly 3 hours for me to get them to cancel the exchange and send me a brand new one. They said their system selects wether to send a referb or new device depending on what's in stock, and that they have no control over which it sends . As the oasis 3 is currently out of stock theyre sending refurbished devices right now. I got them to start a return and they will automatically send me a brand new one when it's back in stock on the 25th, and when it gets here I send my old one back.
That’s a bummer! I called and talked to CS rep and the whole call only took about 10 minutes. But my unit has a defect so all she did was ask me several scripted questions like, “Was the item dropped or bumped.” She was able to quickly determine this was a defect, so getting a replacement was not in question. I’ve gotten replacements for PW’s with screens that didn’t look good, as in bluish shadows and uneven lighting, and those calls always took much longer. But that was several years ago. My current Kindle Basic 10th gen screen looks bad but I actually chose not to get it replaced. But it is cheap, not expensive like the Oasis, so I figured it wasn’t worth the hassle of going through replacements when all of them likely have similar looking screens.

Earlier in the day I called CS hoping to resolve an issue with Cloud Collections not being visible to my Kindles and that call took over 2 hours and didn’t resolve the issue. But that wasn’t about getting a replacement. Turns out that collections issue has been widely documented for a few years so it is an ongoing issue that still hasn't been resolved by Amazon. I should have done my internet search before calling CS, but I assumed there was something I was doing incorrectly concerning the collections on the cloud. Since that is a long standing and unresolved issue CS should have said so instead of acting like they couldn’t understand the issue. Surely they have it documented somewhere and it should have been put into their book of scripts they recite when we call. The CS rep was nice though, and I don’t think it was his fault he couldn’t find a resolution. The fault lies with those who decide what goes into the CS book of scripts which the reps use to resolve customer issues. I used to write those books when I worked at Computer Associates in the mid 1990s in their accounting software division. We spent a lot of time fielding and listening to customer calls so that we knew what kinds of calls the reps were fielding, then we wrote the scripts to help them explain how to resolve the common customer issues, then we added more information in the user guides to hopefully avoid those issues to begin with. But that was 25 years ago when software and hardware companies actually gave a damn about their customers. Now days they just outsource CS stuff to foreign countries and don’t give them the proper tools to resolve the issues. The CS reps get thrown to the lions more often than not. I feel sorry for them, and for those of us who experience the issues.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-05-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
My brand new Oasis 3 just developed a vertical line across the screen.

this is awful. I am so sorry. I am also done with the Oasis. no exchanges for me. I'm tired of the kindle russian roulette game.

eta - gah. it's a love/hate relationship... softening a bit this morning. maybe keep trying to fully love it.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-05-2019 at 10:02 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Ugh sorry to hear this happened. I'd suspect a screen issue, I had something similar with lines suddenly appearing in an LCD TV that meant the screen was going out. It was only 4 months old without damage, so sometimes these things do happen.

I don't blame you not wanting a refurbished device when you pay the full price for a new one. I wouldn't either.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote