Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Am I crazy? Have ipad and getting kindle

Am I crazy for having both devices? I love my ipad and do lots on it, read, surf web, create art, use it for mail and gps among many other things. Well since I do read on it many say I don't need a kindle. I think that a kindle will be a good addition to my devices. One is reading in sunlight aka outdoors on a ferry or beach ect. Also the battery life is amazing. My ipad gets about 8-10 hours of battery, but sometimes I find that I am out of juice by the evening time when I want to read. The ipad screen doesn't bother my eyes, but I've heard it isn't good to read on it before bed, when I like to read. These are just a few of my justifications for an addition device lol. How many of you have both devices? How do you use them?
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
As I type this the infamous Kindle vs. iPad commercial is on TV.

There is no reason you can't have both, as long as you can afford them. The Kindle is a great reader, much lighter and much more focused on reading than the iPad. Luckily you get 30 days to try out the Kindle if you buy it from Amazon. If it doesn't work for you, send it back. If it does work for you, you'll be able to sync your Kindle books with the iPad, so you can go back and forth.

Have fun experimenting!

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-06-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typos r us
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I have a Nook and a Nook color. I vastly prefer reading on e-ink. The NC is rooted...I use it as a tablet, and only an e-reader at night time. Even then I found I prefer my Nook with a book light over the NC's backlit LCD.

I think it's a pretty standard reaction around here. Plenty of people don't like reading on LCD very much.

Besides the e-ink, I can't imagine reading on a device as big as the ipad. I feel like my Nook color is too heavy. I like to read in a lot of different positions / places and that weight makes a big difference.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Am I crazy for having both devices? I love my ipad and do lots on it, read, surf web, create art, use it for mail and gps among many other things. Well since I do read on it many say I don't need a kindle. I think that a kindle will be a good addition to my devices. One is reading in sunlight aka outdoors on a ferry or beach ect. Also the battery life is amazing. My ipad gets about 8-10 hours of battery, but sometimes I find that I am out of juice by the evening time when I want to read. The ipad screen doesn't bother my eyes, but I've heard it isn't good to read on it before bed, when I like to read. These are just a few of my justifications for an addition device lol. How many of you have both devices? How do you use them?
Hi there I don't have an ipad but I do have an iPhone. Actually I find both devices complement each other very well. As you say battery life is a real pain on the Apple side whereas I get maybe 1.5-2 weeks from the kindle and I'm a heavy reader.

Reading in the sunlight on the iPhone is not good but that's where the Kindle excels so I use that for all my outdoor reading.

I can read quite happily on the iPhone using either the Kindle app for Amazon books or Stanza for ePub books. But I tend to use it for short bursts of reading or when trying to read discreetly. I do prefer to do the bulk of my reading on the Kindle - just find it so good to read on.

Enjoy!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
I have an iPhone and an iPad -- and I just bought a Kindle 3 over the weekend. For the past few years I've done the majority of my reading on my iPhone, mainly in short bursts. I love my iPad and use it a lot - unfortunately, my 3 year old daughter loves it more than I do, so every time I take it out she takes it away from me :-(

The Kindle 3 is a fantastic single-purpose device. It's well built, very light and half the size of the iPad -- which makes it much more convenient to carry everywhere.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Thanks all, another good reason for a dedicated ereader is so I can focus on reading. Since the iPad can easily go to the net or email ect I get distracted and therefore less reading gets done lol. Hopefully this will get me through those books I've been wanting to finish!
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
No, you aren't crazy. You may have a gadget addiction like me. I have a K3, an iPad and a Nook Color(selling my Nook Classic). And yes, I use all 3.

I don't do much reading on the ipad. The Nook Color is nice for magazines and non fiction books with pictures. My K3 is my trusty little buddy..I use him the most.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
I have an iPhone and an iPad -- and I just bought a Kindle 3 over the weekend. For the past few years I've done the majority of my reading on my iPhone, mainly in short bursts. I love my iPad and use it a lot - unfortunately, my 3 year old daughter loves it more than I do, so every time I take it out she takes it away .
snap! I also have a 3 year old daughter who loves the iPhone - she calls it the thingy! She likes to "play" card games on it and view herself in photos and videos. I swear she can operate it better than me. It's made for small hands
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Am I crazy for having both devices? .... How many of you have both devices? How do you use them?
Having one reading device is like just having one TV. No one does that anymore!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Am I crazy for having both devices?
You would be no more crazy for owning both an iPod and a hat, unless you used them both for the same purpose.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not crazy at all. I have both; they nicely complement one another.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Buy a Kindle, you won't regret it. Just think of the jealousy of the neighbours and street cred you'll gain by owning something not by (cr)Apple!

leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Not at all. Both devices have their uses. With the iPad I imagine you will read more PDFs, with the Kindle you will enjoy reading novels. Also, the Kindle is more easily portable, so you can bring it with you on your day to day errands, while the iPad might readily be used for home use. I'd love to have both devices (in addition to my Sony Reader, of course!)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I don't think you are crazy, I just read somewhere that a large portion (I think the article said 40%, not sure if that is right) of Ipad owners, also have Kindles. Number one reason was that although the Ipad is a great device, most of them preferred reading on the Kindle. Enjoy your new Kindle.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Yes! You should buy a Sony rather than a Kindle .

But supplementing the iPad with any dedicated eInk reading device is a good, sane idea.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote