Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

Glad to see Amazon Kindles gradually overtake Sony Readers

When Kindle was first introduced in 2007, Kindle forum only has 50 or so people daily, while Sony Reader forum always crowded with more than 200. But now, everything is reversed: Sony around 50, and Kindle forum owns more than 200.

Why? The reasons are so obvious:

1) Sony's price is very wrong: $249 daily edition just for half month's promotion? Now everyone has to pay $300 for that?

2) Too slow, and too little: How difficulty to add international fonts and let Russian out of hacker job? How difficulty to open SDK to everyone? How difficulty to export handwriting notes?

It looks like people sitting at Sony Plaza are totally isolated from the real world: They have no idea of what other people are doing, and what do we need.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
A lot of the forum action seems to be about problems with the devices. Maybe people who bought the Sony devices are having fewer problems? That could account for some of the reversal. But, yeah, much of the public thinks that all e-readers are Kindles.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Trolls are not welcome.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
So... impressive thoughts of real concern...

Yep, trolls waste space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by db100 View Post
When Kindle was first introduced in 2007, Kindle forum only has 50 or so people daily, while Sony Reader forum always crowded with more than 200. But now, everything is reversed: Sony around 50, and Kindle forum owns more than 200.

1) Sony's price is very wrong: $249 daily edition just for half month's promotion? Now everyone has to pay $300 for that?

2) Too slow, and too little: How difficulty to add international fonts and let Russian out of hacker job? How difficulty to open SDK to everyone? How difficulty to export handwriting notes?

It looks like people sitting at Sony Plaza are totally isolated from the real world: They have no idea of what other people are doing, and what do we need.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by db100 View Post

There's no relationship as you mentioned.
Maybe people's interest changed, they are reading more books and spent less time visiting the forum....

Can't see any relationship mentioned by you...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ha ha. That totally explains why I bought a new Sony instead of a Kindle doesn't it?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Smile

some of my thoughts (from a long-time Sony ebook user - 500, 505, and now 950):

Kindles seemed to be priced like printers. Priced low for purchase and the companies make money from ink sales. With low Kindle ereader prices, sales are expected from the Amazon.com bookstore.

Sony ebooks have a greater access to more format types (esp. EPUB from the library).

The Sony forum is very lucky to have some incredibly talented members - starting with Kovid (creator of Calibre) and MANY others that wrote firmware mods and solved problems with the Sony devices.

The Sony units are built VERY well when compared to the Kindle. Kindle - mostly plastic vs. a Sony with aluminum frame.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is the wrong forum for this dreck. Take it elsewhere. get a mod to delete the thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
As long as you're happy, OP, that's all that matters....
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is the wrong forum for this dreck. Take it elsewhere. get a mod to delete the thread.
I disagree. His tone was mocking, but I think it's an interesting topic even if it was brought up by a troll. His first point about price is probably valid, and likely accounts for most of the difference in traffic. As far as the second, I'm not sure if the kindle is any better. One way it is better, though, is that Amazon do release updates for their firmware that improve features. I only wish Sony would do the same. It seems to be _the_ major source of disappointment from Sony e-reader owners in this forum, and may have caused many to jump ship to other companies' readers.

I expect to see a massive increase in traffic in both forums after makes his rounds, though.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
...One way it is better, though, is that Amazon do release updates for their firmware that improve features. I only wish Sony would do the same. It seems to be _the_ major source of disappointment from Sony e-reader owners in this forum, and may have caused many to jump ship to other companies' readers...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is my biggest, ad pretty much only complaint about my reader
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
One way it is better, though, is that Amazon do release updates for their firmware that improve features. I only wish Sony would do the same. It seems to be _the_ major source of disappointment from Sony e-reader owners in this forum, and may have caused many to jump ship to other companies' readers.
It may not even be a case of causing people to jump ship, but with no updates to discuss then people will tend to have less things to talk about.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No updates does seem to be a major point of contention on the forum but I also think it is a matter of expectations. Before I bought an eReader, I took the time to research the detailed specifications of the prospective purchase with the result that my Sonys do exactly what I expected them to do... the only upgrade I really appreciated came when Sony moved from lrf to ePub and that improved my 505 quite nicely.

I use PRS+ on both 505 and 600 but I use them for the additional functionality they provide... I didn't expect my Sony readers to provide this because I already knew exactly what they offered. I agree that Sony could do more but I purchased knowing what they did... and that was what I required, a pocket full of books to read in an easy and comfortable fashion...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I'm not so glad to see Amazon's Kindle overtake in terms of market share just about every other ereader out there. I have a suspicion of monopolies and vendor lock-ins. I chose my Sony Reader because it supported a more universal format with no vendor lock-in (we don't get a Sony Reader Store here), but I would rather go Pocketbook or Kobo than buy a Kindle. I'm happy to recommend the Kindles to others if I think it's suitable (and it often is the case), but I have my own hang-ups I like to humour. Of course, if someday it comes clear that Amazon has locked down the ebook market as tightly as Microsoft used to for PC software, well, resistance is futile.

(Before somebody jumps in to say that they can also sideload books from other vendors and can load their own MOBIs on the Kindle, etc., Amazon would still rather have people buying from their store. Not even the fact that it doesn't support EPUB, but rather that the Kindles don't support reading DRM-protected MOBIs also suggests to me this.)

Last edited by viviena; 11-30-2010 at 10:14 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote