Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Question Who's using calibre to TRACK all the books they're reading - even non-eBooks?

Hi there

I am contemplating moving off BookCrawler and LibraryThing for tracking my reading and to recording all the books I have read in calibre. However a good portion of books I read are physical books, so for them I’d use empty, i.e. metadadata-only entries in calibre.

I know that it is doable. (I've read the thread How could I document my reading history in Calibre.)

My question is: Who's doing this? What's their experience? What are the problems? Anybody moved back to a separate tracking app?

Last edited by halloleo; 07-12-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typos
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yes. I do it for physical books and also recently started tracking library books (only digital for now; I'm high-risk for COVID so haven't had a chance to borrow any physical books for a year).

I track them with custom 0-byte formats, .paperbook for physical books and .overdrive for books borrowed with Overdrive.

I also use virtual libraries to keep things separated while still cross-searchable.

Custom #lastread date column. I use an Action Chain to automatically populate it and then open the eBook (unless it's not an eBook).

I'm happier keeping my reading history on a local drive than on a third-party cloud service. Partly privacy, partly an internet connection that isn't always reliable, partly I've seen online services vanish off the internet overnight.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-13-2021 at 02:55 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Thanks a lot, @ownedbycats.

Aha, so you use empty .paperbook and .overdrive files in the entries of these books. Why not metadata-only entries without any file?

Plus, does the #lastread column track when you finished reading the book (possibly for the first time) or does it track the last time you looked at the book?
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Mostly to more easily catalog entries where I have both an eBook and paper copy.

#lastread is bound to a custom shortcut, so I can look at a book without triggering it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, experience, reading status, tracking history