Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Arrow Kindle Oasis Gen 1 fw 5.13.1 (or older) - Serial Jailbreaking Step by Step

Good day Oasis 1 owner!
Finally there is a guy! I know I also happy to bring this tutorial to all of you.

Disclamer: I am not responsible for bricked devices. Good luck!

Before doing anything, I strongly recommend you should take a look at below instructions:
1. Kindle Oasis 1 back cover removal from iFix
2. Serial Jailbreaking your fw >= 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies

You'll need:
- A computer
- Your kindle oasis
- USB-TTL serial adapter
- Solder
- Tool to open your kindle
- Python
- PuTTY
- Be patient!

Ok. I believe you have understood basics of serial jailbreaking a kindle.
Let's move to the fun part.

Step 1: Discover kindle diag mode root password
I'm doing this tutorial in Windows environment.
Firstly, please install python from python.org
Then open windows command prompt, input below code
Code:
python
import hashlib
print("fiona%s"%hashlib.md5("your kindle serial number with no spaces and all capital letters\n".encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()[13:16])
Your kindle password should be like fionaxxx, write it down somewhere.

Step 1.1: Connect kindle to the computer. Copy all files in the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip to kindle. You can find it in Snapshot topic by NiLuJe (kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r17396.tar.xz)

Step 2: R̶i̶p̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ Open the back cover to access to the mainboard.
If you look closely in the lower right of the display connection port, you'll see 3 tiny round copper connectors which are Tx, Rx and GND. But wait, you need to disconnect the battery first.
Now wire these connectors with any USB TTL adapter that you have.
Kindle Tx --- Rx
Kindle Rx --- Tx
Kindle GND --- GND (you can also connect with the screw as I do)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	181308

Step 3: Prepare the software
Connect to USB TTL adapter to computer.
Open Device Manager and set up variable like below

Name:	02.png
Views:	659
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	181309

Open PuTYY and setup like this

Name:	03.png
Views:	581
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	181310

Name:	04.png
Views:	515
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	181311

Then press Open, leave the blank window as it is

Name:	05.png
Views:	530
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	181312

Step 4: Jailbreaking!
OK. This is important. As soon as you reconnect the battery, the blank PuTYY window above will begin to display some text. Please press any key quickly to interupt the normal boot and to access uboot.

Name:	06.png
Views:	699
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	181315

Now, input below code. It's quite different from original K5 instruction:

Code:
run bootcmd_FB
bootm 0xE41000
You're now access to the system diags:

Name:	09.png
Views:	618
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	181314

Back to your kindle screen.
Choose Reboot or Disable Diags
then
Exit to login prompt

On PuTYY screen, input username and password
login: root
password: fionaxxx (as you remember on the first step)

Name:	11.png
Views:	512
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	181316

Edit the password file, input below code:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/main
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/main
vi /tmp/main/etc/passwd
on vi editor, use your arrow buttons to move the hightlight cursor to the character "x"

Name:	12.png
Views:	546
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	181317
Press X to delete the x character
Input :w to save
Input :q! to quit vi editor
Input reboot to reboot kindle.

Let's the kindle fully boot to your familiar home screen.

On PuTTY windows, press Enter and login with root.

Name:	14.png
Views:	491
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	181318
Input below commands to jailbreak:
Code:
cd /mnt/us
sh jb.sh
If you find the text ****JAILBREAK**** on your kindle screen,
Congratulation!

You also can create the folder name "update.bin.tmp.partial" on kindle to help prevent OTA update and protect the jailbreak.

Bonus. I'll help you install KUAL on your now jailbroken kindle.
You can find everything in snapshot.
Copy KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 (KUAL) to document folder and Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_44a61b6_install.bin (KUAL coplate) to the kindle root directory.
Update your kindle.
Now, you have KUAL and free to install other plug-in such as helper+, screensaver, KOreader, etc.

Thank NiLuJe, grant2 and other contributors. Your work have helped me a lot.

Cheer!

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-14-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Was the "disconnect the battery first" the trick necessary to get you unstuck?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Was the "disconnect the battery first" the trick necessary to get you unstuck?
No, at uboot, you need to enter following code
Code:
run bootcmd_FB
Before
Code:
bootm 0xE41000
To successfully access to diag mode
Old 08-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Let's see some pics of it put back together. I'm sure the glass front panel is even more obnoxious now that it's been loosened. I wouldn't do this to a device unless you want it to look like crap.
I don't know what you mean. We just open the plastic back cover, don't think this will damage the glass front panel
Old 08-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
powerlego
powerlego began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Would this also work with serial jailbreaking the PW4, because what I have seen on another thread that the PW4 also uses U-Boot?
powerlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlego View Post
Would this also work with serial jailbreaking the PW4, because what I have seen on another thread that the PW4 also uses U-Boot?
Good point, I bumped their thread.
They are not very interested though (having software jb on any firmware).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra_w View Post
Good day Oasis 1 owner!
Finally there is a guy! I know I also happy to bring this tutorial to all of you.

Very good work!!

This is a great write up, and congratulations on finding the serial port!!!
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
claudiume
claudiume began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlepw7
have you installed KoReader? if so how it performs?
claudiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:29 AM   #9
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiume View Post
It runs flawlessly
Old 08-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
claudiume
claudiume began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlepw7
Show us some pictures please! Since you the first one maybe you just make fun of us because they say nobody found them and you just opened the back and boom
claudiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Show us some pictures please! Since you the first one maybe you just make fun of us because they say nobody found them and you just opened the back and boom
Bro, I don't ask you to follow my guide. You could do it, or not. That's up to you. You never know if you don't try, right?

Anyway, that's lucky for me that I have some pictures of the process to prove to this guy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	913.5 KB
ID:	181454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3435.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	181455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5083.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	181456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9138.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	181457  
Old 08-22-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
jp12323
jp12323 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (Jailbroken)
Hi, would this work for Kindle Oasis 2? I have KO2, firmware version 5.12.5 and i'm not sure if I should follow this guide or find another
jp12323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Dra_w
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp12323 View Post
Hi, would this work for Kindle Oasis 2? I have KO2, firmware version 5.12.5 and i'm not sure if I should follow this guide or find another
The first thing is you have to find out the way to disassemble KO2
Old 08-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra_w View Post
It runs flawlessly

Not quite flawlessly, while it is very very good and is superior to native, it has serious issues with knowing which way it is rotated. you will find out you have to hold it a certain way when starting KOReader or the display will be upside down.

It's brilliant once you work out how to mitigate the issues it does have though.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Mnementh: Are you talking about https://github.com/koreader/koreader...lua#L721-L727?

Because no-one's ever mentioned anything of the sort on a KOA, AFAIR, only on a KOA2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, kindle oasis, serial jailbreak