Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
Battery on Kobo Aura H2O went from 30 % to 0 % very fast

Hi

I have just got a Kobo Aura H20 which I am generally very happy with. The battery life has been extremely good and one charge has lasted me several months. However, I just noticed that when it reached about 30 %, in about a day it went to 0 %. Is this just the battery indicator that is buggy or do I have a problem? It's slightly annoying that I cannot count on the indicator. I mean the first 30% took maybe 3-4 weeks, the last 30 % took hours...
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Mine behaves the same way so either we have the same problem or the battery indicator isn't accurate for the last 30%.

I agree that it's annoying that you can't rely on it but at least you can read while it's charging. I just charge mine every couple of weeks.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thank you for the reply!
Yeah, it's no biggy. We just have to sort of count 30 % for 0 %!
By the way, can I just charge it with an iPhone or iPad charger? A bit annoying having to plug it into a computer...
Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaldo2000 View Post
By the way, can I just charge it with an iPhone or iPad charger? A bit annoying having to plug it into a computer...
Yes, no problem. I've used other USB charge plugs also without any issues.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Yeah, it's no biggy. We just have to sort of count 30 % for 0 %!
Yes very typical to drop very fast in last bit of gauge.
Other chargers will work, but i-thing chargers are slightly different and may not work. I use various other phone chargers to charge my Kobo's.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iPhone chargers do work. You just have to tell the Kobo you are not connecting to a computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast

Ok, thank you guys.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Ok, thank you guys.
There are a number of H2O that have bad batteries. My first unit had one, the only course of action is to return the unit and get a new one. BTW spent many hours and days trying to sort this. Save your self a headache and time.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
There are a number of H2O that have bad batteries. My first unit had one, the only course of action is to return the unit and get a new one. BTW spent many hours and days trying to sort this. Save your self a headache and time.

regards

Jack
I partly agree with Jack. My first H2O couldn't hold a charge. I returned it and and was happy I took his advice to. However, that old unit would go from 100% to 0% in a day or two. Yours seems as though it can hold a charge for a good long time, but doesn't know where 0% really is. This sounds more like a calibration problem to me. I wasted a lot of time calibrating my first H2O, but it might not be a waste of time in your case.
rwhe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My Glo is similar to the OP's: the battery life overall is excellent, but the meter drops very quickly after it gets down to about 25%-30%, so I just read 30% as time to recharge.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
My Glo is similar to the OP's: the battery life overall is excellent, but the meter drops very quickly after it gets down to about 25%-30%, so I just read 30% as time to recharge.
I guess I've never let mine get down that far. I'll have to watch for that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The fast dropoff from 25-30% to the recharge point is pretty common, not just for Kobo devices. The issue is that the battery voltage falls off at a different rate as the battery is discharged. When you get down near the end of the curve the battery voltage falls off VERY rapidly compared to a nearly straight line slope for most of the charge. The algorithm determining remaining charge is probably based on a linear or straight line approximation rather than modeling the curve.

If Kobo employed either a lookup table or derived the equation for the battery curve, they could give a lot more accurate picture of remaining power... As it is, I assume 25-30% is the end of the line and figure 65% is really about 50%, etc. I usually charge before I get anywhere near the low end because it tends to be easier on the battery and you can probably charge twice as many times if you're only subjecting the battery to mild to moderate discharges. I think deep cycles are A LOT harder on lithium batteries based on my day to day experience with the batteries in my cell phones over the years. I recall that most of the battery literature points this out as well.

Last edited by TechniSol; 01-20-2015 at 02:35 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote