Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Really? The "trivia" seemed like the same new-age pseudoscience that I've been hearing for years.
Yep - dressing up that recycled tosh as some kind of lost secret is pretty irresponsible in my view.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Really? The "trivia" seemed like the same new-age pseudoscience that I've been hearing for years.
Are you American? I'm not, and know very little about Washington DC, and all the facts about the city (eg the statue of George Washington as Zeus) I found to be extremely interesting. I'm not referring to the "new age" stuff - that is indeed tosh.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I agree with Harry that the incidental facts are rather interesting. But it is a pity, to my mind, that they are not really integrated into the novel.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you American? I'm not, and know very little about Washington DC, and all the facts about the city (eg the statue of George Washington as Zeus) I found to be extremely interesting. I'm not referring to the "new age" stuff - that is indeed tosh.
Yeah, which probably added to my disappointment. I was expecting to find out some interesting things about the capitol, but ended up being underwhelmed.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I agree with Harry that the incidental facts are rather interesting. But it is a pity, to my mind, that they are not really integrated into the novel.
There was a note in my edition:
"Names, characters, businesses, organisations, places, events, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is entirely coincidental."

The only other book by Brown I've read is the Da Vinci Code. I thought TLS was an easy, entertaining read. Like others, I thought the 'secret' identity of the baddie was obvious all along. Some of the elements were decidedly clunky - e.g. the pitch black Void outside the Cube lab. And the last few chapters was a load of tedious waffle imho. But, overall, the pacing was fast enough to avoid dwelling on the weaker aspects; and it was heartening to see everyone make such rapid (almost miraculous ) recoveries from their various ordeals.

As a throw-away thriller, I'd say it was 7.5 out of 10.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
As a throw-away thriller, I'd say it was 7.5 out of 10.
I would agree with Sparrow if this were the first Dan Brown that I had read. However, the repetitious elements from earlier Dan Brown novels are very disappointing, for me.

And would the C.I.A. really let people loose without medical checks, (towards the end of the novel)? Quite a lot of it simply beggars belief, as far as I am concerned. Someone has lot an awful lot of blood, and isn't carted off to a hospital. And this in a culture where the risk of being sued is an occupational hazard... Je ne croix pas.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #22
mikelvdb
Enthusiast
mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3, cybook opus, sony prs-350, sony prs-t1
quotes:
-a Masonic pyramid containing a code that unlocks an ancient secret to "unfathomable power."

-Robert Langdon, is back, risking his life to crack a dangerous mystery

I enjoyed the book but I still wonder why is the 'mystery' dangerous and need to be protected in such a difficult way.
mikelvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I didn't enjoy The Lost Symbol very much... I was bored... And I did enjoy The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, I know it's not literature but was entertaining.

I agree with Harry that the best part was all the trivia about Washington D.C. and it's historic landmarks, maybe next time I go to the States I try to visit.

But as for the actual plot... It was weak... And the rhythm was terrible...

m*
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
Rodry
Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rodry has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZReader, palm TX
"The Lost Symbol" is NOT literature. Really?

To those saying that "The Lost Symbol" is NOT literature: Would you tell us what is it, if not literature? Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all booksellers have placed this book under "Literature & Fiction". Are they wrong? Please write to them indicating the correct classification. Their staff don't include people as qualified as you. Help them, please.
Rodry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #25
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have to say that, as an honest-to-god Freemason I found the book both relieving and annoying. Relieving in that Langdon's opinions about the masons were surprisingly accurate and sympathetic. Annoying because it was yet another silly mash-up of old nonsense claiming that we're hiding something from the rest of the human race. (At least it wasn't the "National Treasure"!)

I also have to say that I simply could not read "Angels and Demons" - the science in there was so excruciatingly bad I simply could not read more than a few chapters. By comparison, the descriptions of masonic symbolism and its influence on Washington DC in "The Lost Symbol" were surprisingly accurate.

By the way - if you want to know what being a Freemason is really all about, Google for the Shriners, Shrine Clowns and the Shrine Hospitals. As far as I'm concerned, those are what it's all about.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #26
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you American? I'm not, and know very little about Washington DC, and all the facts about the city (eg the statue of George Washington as Zeus) I found to be extremely interesting.
As far as I can tell, you can take all that trivia as accurate. It is certainly true that many of the Founding Fathers were Masons and that Masonic symbolism is all over colonial America. What Langdon didn't mention, however, is that there were Masons on the other side of the war, too.

Last edited by mwheinz; 10-07-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #27
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodry View Post
To those saying that "The Lost Symbol" is NOT literature: Would you tell us what is it, if not literature? Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all booksellers have placed this book under "Literature & Fiction". Are they wrong? Please write to them indicating the correct classification. Their staff don't include people as qualified as you. Help them, please.
I think people are referring to the most common usage of the word "literature": writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest.

Dan Brown's novels do not meet this definition of literature. They do meet the definition of "Fiction", hence their placement in "Literature & Fiction". Even the label "Literature & Fiction" implies that there is a difference between literature and mere fiction.

It's nothing to get your hackles up about. You can defend Dan Brown's literary prowess all you like, but no one's going to agree with you.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #28
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvdb View Post
I enjoyed the book but I still wonder why is the 'mystery' dangerous and need to be protected in such a difficult way.
Maybe it is the "fact" that there is no God as we know it. Revealing this to the world would make religion, as we now know it, obsolete.
That said, I can't immagine that "a bible" would be the tool to reveal this "fact", unless it was some kind of special bible. But it doesn't say that ... so actually all this hunting, killing and what not is pretty useless.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
That said, I can't immagine that "a bible" would be the tool to reveal this "fact", unless it was some kind of special bible.
You need to bone up on your gnostic heresies. In modern literature we talk about the "sub text" - the idea of hidden layers of meaning is a common one, and an old one. Thus, on the surface the story of Noah is straightforward. To a kabbalist (a jewish mystic) it raises questions: why was the ark exactly those measurements? Why a dove? Why a raven? What kind of twig did the bird throw down? What is the hidden meaning behind these symbols?

And so on. It's the same thing as when people accuse the masonic square-and-compass of being either a secret Star of David or (alternately) a disguise for a horned devil.

Quote:
But it doesn't say that ... so actually all this hunting, killing and what not is pretty useless.
I agree... almost... but what occurred to me was two things: First, that Solomon couldn't have had any more idea than Langdon what the pyramid was really all about. Second, he had sworn a multi-generational oath to protect the secret.

It's quite possible he lied to Langdon that the treasure was a masonic bible.

I haven't looked at my Masonic bible in years. I'll have to dig it out and check it for secrets.

Last edited by mwheinz; 10-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #30
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Great idea to bend the "free" rule to discuss this amongst the MR community. This is essentially a cross post from the "Please give a writer harder to put down than Dan Brown" thread, as I think the contributors here will enjoy the linked review. Original thread here... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55466

Thanks to that thread I bought (and read) the latest Dan Brown. And I was very pleased to be able to do so many miles from home on a business trip, upload it to my reader and enjoy it on the flight home (best place for a Dan Brown imho ).

I have three points:

(i) Dan Brown can spin a yarn. His four page chapters, each with a cliff hanger might be highly formulaic, but it is a formula that works. It is very hard not to start chapter (n+1) as soon (n) is done. And when (n) is around 150, you've finished

(ii) Dan Brown wants you to know how much research he has done. The only way he can do this is by pretty much quoting it word for word. Michael Criteon did exactly the same thing. It doesn't make great prose, but some of it is pretty interesting.

(iii) Having read the book, the funniest thing I have read in the last three weeks is the UK Spectator magazines reveiw of it. For those of you that don't get it, here's a link...http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/535...ormation.thtml but comments like
Quote:
Freemasons have been getting steadily less glamorous since their apotheosis in The Magic Flute. Nowadays, one thinks of them in connection with short-sleeved, polyester shirt-and-tie sets, pens in the top pocket, sock-suspenders and the expression ‘My lady wife’. I honestly can’t see them guarding the secrets of the universe.
and
Quote:
His attempts at characterisation never go much beyond ‘Systems security specialist, Mark Zoubianis, had always prided himself on his ability to multi-task.’
gives you an idea where it's going (make sure you read all four pages!).

I enjoyed the original thread and recommend it. I read a really fun, trashy novel as a direct consequence of that debate, plus I've picked up a couple of new authors to look out for.

Equally the comments here about the definition of literature and merits or otherwise of Dan Brown's style are highly entertaining!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote