Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
PSA regarding possible jailbreak for 7" oasis - DO NOT UPDATE

That's this most important thing if you want to even think about a jailbreak right now.

There are some good indications about the KOA and KT#, that devices with bluetooth have a certain entry point, but we don't know about the new one yet.

If you want a jailbreak at all, please do not update the software.

Also, for record keeping purposes, reply to this with your device configuration ( GB, 3g, etc ), and the first 6 digits of your serial.

And then go to settings, and choose device info, and report your kindle version fresh from amazon. mine is "5.9.0.6 ( 3234010012 )"

Instructions on how to block updates, but still connect to WIFI.
See also: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219986

Plug your kindle into usb before connectiong to wifi
Create a FOLDER at the root of your USB drive named "update.bin.tmp.partial"
That is it.

This has worked in the past, all the way up to the most recent update before 5.9.2, though there is no guarantee it will keep working.

Instructions on how to skip wifi setup
When you get to the wifi setup screen that lists all the wifi names, hit the [x] in the top corner to close it.
Then there will be a "continue setup later" link in the bottom corner.
Cleick that to get to the kindle's home screen before connecting to wifi.

Last edited by coplate; 11-19-2017 at 12:31 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Wish I had seen this before hooking to my wifi last night. Oh well... :-)
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you willing to experiment for me?

We will need someone to test if the downgrades are still allowed after updates, like the koa1 and kt3.

The test would be to try to install an older official voice file update ( from the voyage ), and seeing if it installs. If it does, you can always reinstall the correct oaisi2 ones...... probably. But that's why the call it experiment8ng!

- Sent from my phone so none of my typos are fixrd
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Is it just about KOA or PPW3 also ?
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
Sojourn
Sojourn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
To avoid updating while still being able to use the new Oasis, is the procedure the same as for previous generations (placing fake partial update file via USB)? Or are you suggesting that we don't connect to WiFi at all?

I'll wait to power on the Kindle until I know how to proceed; once I do, I can update with the requested device info.

Last edited by Sojourn; 11-01-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
To avoid updating while still being able to use the new Oasis, is the procedure the same as for previous generations (placing fake partial update file via USB)? Or are you suggesting that we don't connect to WiFi at all?

I'll wait to power on the Kindle until I know how to proceed; once I do, I can update with the requested device info.
We really won't know until people try it, but I think it is as safe as it can be. please try it and report back :-)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Sojourn

All righty: successfully skipped WiFi setup, added my "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder, and just looked up device details:

Model: Kindle Oasis 2, WiFi only, 8 GB (6,099 MB free after empty folder added and no books downloaded)
Firmware: Kindle 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)
First 6 of Serial: G000 P8

Let me know if you need anything else!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
All righty: successfully skipped WiFi setup, added my "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder, and just looked up device details:

Model: Kindle Oasis 2, WiFi only, 8 GB (6,099 MB free after empty folder added and no books downloaded)
Firmware: Kindle 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)
First 6 of Serial: G000 P8

Let me know if you need anything else!
Would you be willing to make a copy of the first part of USB storage for us?
If so, what PC system do you have available?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Sojourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Would you be willing to make a copy of the first part of USB storage for us?
If so, what PC system do you have available?
Sure (though I did just download some books before I saw this, hopefully that doesn't ruin it)!

I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13). Let me know what you need, and how I should get it to you!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure (though I did just download some books before I saw this, hopefully that doesn't ruin it)!

I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13). Let me know what you need, and how I should get it to you!
That **should not make a difference** at least if it is only a few and we are real lucky.

I do not have MacOSx knowledge, can you translate terminal commands from Linux (Bash) to your terminal commands?
If you can, we can continue by PM.
If not, then we need to find a translator (badgoodDeb maybe?) - wait for someone to volunteer.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Sojourn

Quote:
I do not have MacOSx knowledge, can you translate terminal commands from Linux (Bash) to your terminal commands?
Sorry, I wouldn't feel confident doing that on my own. Happy to follow a translator's instructions though.

EDIT: One other change I forgot to mention -- my Kindle shipped with Special Offers, but I had them removed.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry, I wouldn't feel confident doing that on my own. Happy to follow a translator's instructions though.

EDIT: One other change I forgot to mention -- my Kindle shipped with Special Offers, but I had them removed.
It is late in the day for me here.
Can we pick this up tomorrow?
Go ahead and use your device, just try not to store too much onto it.

And maybe a translator will volunteer.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #13
Sojourn

Quote:
It is late in the day for me here.
Can we pick this up tomorrow?
Go ahead and use your device, just try not to store too much onto it.

And maybe a translator will volunteer.
Of course! Talk with you soon, and thanks for the advice.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Have one as well. Put the ".partial" folder in place.

8GB Wi-Fi, USA
Serial: G000P8
Firmware: 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)
Space Available: 6,096 MB

Have a Windows 8 Thinkpad X1 available as well as a 10.13 Mac. FYI, mac terminal is bash by default.

Last edited by thoreau; 11-01-2017 at 10:48 PM.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 AM   #15
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm receiving mine today, so we can try with it.
I'm installing a VM with linux.
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote