Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
nelsonm
nelsonm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Touchscreen problems - is my Kobo broken?

I am having some problems with my Aura H2O and the touchscreen. All the normal stuff like turning pages and opening books work just fine, but the more demanding things like highlighting words is somewhat buggy.

The screen seems to have blind-spots where pressing does not work or works poorly.

It is a real pain to expand or adjust a passage of highlighted text. When moving the cursor/marker, it simply doesn't follow my finger to another word. Sometimes it will act as if no movement was done, sometimes it will move the cursor/marker to somewhere away from where I'm pressing (and sometimes it works).

Also, especially in the top-third and bottom-third of the screen, I can press and hold down on a word for the dictionary lookup, but the screen just flashes/adjusts a few times, and the word is not marked. However, this does not happen a lot.

So - overall it seems to badly register when I press the screen.

Does anybody have a similar experience? Or should I send it to Kobo for repairs?

Thanks!

nelsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if you suspect blind spots you could use the sketch pad (in beta features) to see whether or not that's true. it lets you draw pixels on nearly the whole screen so it should be a good way to ascertain touchscreen accuracy.

I think there was a bug with highlighting text recently though, which firmware are you using, and any patches/addons?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
nelsonm

Thanks for the tip about the sketch pad. Curiously, it seems to working perfectly. I can't find anywhere on the screen where I can't draw. Also, response time is fine and accuracy is just fine as well.

The software version is 3.19.5761. I have just sync'ed it and there doesn't seem to be newer versions.

I have no addons installed.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are some bugs with selection near the top of screen when reading epubs.

Firstly, you can't select the last word of a paragraph that continues from the previous screen. If you long press on it, whatever would happen when you tap that part of the screen happens (page turn or display the menu). The punctuation at the end of the paragraph affects this. Trying to select this word by dragging your finger, doesn't show the selection, but the menu is displayed and the annotation is saved.

Trying to select the word in the top right corner, will select it, set the dog-ear bookmark, but not display the annotations menu. Tapping somewhere on the screen will display the menu.

Adjusting the highlight has never worked well. A lot of times, I'll just start again. It seems to work better during the initial selection.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Highlighting can be a bit janky - I find it works better to choose the word at the end and go backward than to go forward.

Make sure your device is very clean, with a brush or canned air if necessary for the crevices where the IR sensors are. This is less of an issue with the H2O than with some other devices, but still.

You haven't taken it apart and put it back together, have you? If all else fails, yes, see if Kobo support or returning it to your place of purchase can help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
nelsonm

Thank you for the replies!

No, I haven't tried to take it apart or anything. I will try to give it a good cleaning on the outside.

It sounds like you guys are having the same issues as me. I am also experimenting with stuff like highlighting the last word first and so on.

Maybe that is just the way the H2O works. It kinda sucks because in some (study) books I do lots of highlighting and find myself wasting a lot of time doing it.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonm View Post
No, I haven't tried to take it apart or anything. I will try to give it a good cleaning on the outside.

It sounds like you guys are having the same issues as me. I am also experimenting with stuff like highlighting the last word first and so on.

Maybe that is just the way the H2O works. It kinda sucks because in some (study) books I do lots of highlighting and find myself wasting a lot of time doing it.
All the devices have their strengths and weaknesses - Kindles are smoother with highlighting, and tablets generally smoother again. Honestly for heavy highlighting and annotation work/study I'd generally suggest a tablet (which also offers excellent PDF management), but you use what you have.

Another thing to try is to use the Extended driver to convert to kepub format, if you're using epubs.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote