Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which 10 genres shall fill out the 2016 MobileRead Book Club category roster in 2016?
Award Winners (fiction) 17 37.78%
Biography and Memoirs 16 35.56%
Classics 18 40.00%
Contemporary 9 20.00%
Fanfiction 4 8.89%
Fantasy 27 60.00%
Food (food theme, not cookbooks) 4 8.89%
Gay/Lesbian 8 17.78%
Historical Fiction 12 26.67%
History 18 40.00%
Horror 14 31.11%
Humor 16 35.56%
Inspirational Stories 4 8.89%
Music 3 6.67%
Mystery 25 55.56%
Non-Fiction 11 24.44%
Originally Non-English 12 26.67%
Our Favo(u)rite Books 12 26.67%
Patricia Clarke Memorial Library 17 37.78%
Romance 7 15.56%
Science 18 40.00%
Science Fiction 35 77.78%
Sequential Art (graphic novels, etc.) 6 13.33%
Short Stories (same author) 14 31.11%
Short Story Anthologies (various authors) 10 22.22%
Sports (Non-Fiction & Fiction) 7 15.56%
Thriller, Suspense & Crime 23 51.11%
Travel & Adventure 12 26.67%
War 15 33.33%
Young Adult & Children's 12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I know there is lots of scope, but I'm just not that interested in war as a topic. Just one of those things.

Boo history as well.

I predict that both war and history will make the final ten based on what I know about the group.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm surprised that history is doing so well; but it's early days yet.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^There's a lot of members interested in history. I expect we're about halfway for number of voters now with sixteen.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I know there is lots of scope, but I'm just not that interested in war as a topic. Just one of those things.

Boo history as well.

I predict that both war and history will make the final ten based on what I know about the group.
I'm a little surprised at the votes for War so far as well. Blood thirsty group.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well History is doing. Even more so for Science. The "made in the shade" choices so far I'm not surprised at though. Anyway I'm going to wait a while to see how things progress before casting my votes. With the surfeit of choices I want to be selective in helping my most favored.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
There's a lot of scope in that category. A few examples:

History of the Peloponnesian War
The Iliad
The Anabasis
Marching Upcountry by John Ringo
The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield
War and Peace
Master and Commander
Now Master and Commander, certainly that's war, and an excellent series I might add. But I suspect March Upcountry is pushing it. Great book, wonderful series, but those who voted for the category might think that MilSF isn't really what they meant.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now Master and Commander, certainly that's war, and an excellent series I might add. But I suspect March Upcountry is pushing it. Great book, wonderful series, but those who voted for the category might think that MilSF isn't really what they meant.
I suspect that if many of these typical "non-fiction" categories win, the fiction-lovers among us will be pushing the envelope each month...
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Go my selections go!!
Boo others
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

To quote the Simpsons: "Go dryer!"
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Go my selections go!!
Boo others
Wow, it's like you read my mind!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
In many ways, the Empire of Man series is a retelling of The Anabasis, except for four-armed fighters (fiction is stranger than truth ) I've always thought of it more as MilFic than MilSF.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #26
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Wow, it's like you read my mind!
Yeah, I am watching it . In fact I am sure I can read every mind here.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

Boo history as well.

We have enough about war in the news. We don't need to specifically read about it. I feel sorry for those who voted for war.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If science wins, we can read science fiction that has science in it even if the science is not real.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I love war. Reading about it, that is. Except for the carnage part, which is appalling. But the rest? The causes, the effects, the politics, the economics, the social and cultural aspects? Fascinating stuff, among my very favorite reading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I voted only for categories I didn't think had a chance or those I would never naturally read from. In any given year I'll read mystery, sci fi, fantasy, award winners, biography, history, etc. of my choice. But, what I love about the clubs is that now I frequently commit to read things I would never think of or choose to read and I've been edified by so many over the last couple of years. So bring on the Gay/Lesbian, Horror, Inspirational, Music, etc. books I'll never reach for. And I really love the idea of having people nominate their favourite books.

Hey JS, noticed you supported children/youth books. I can't wait to nominate The Cat in the Hat.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote