Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Trouble w/Windows Calibre in Emulation on Mac

I thought I would try to get around the Snow Leopard Calibre woes by downloading and setting up a Windows version of Calibre using Parallels Desktop and Windows XP on my Intel Mac. I've been using Parallels Desktop for a while now and it had worked well with other programs.

First it seemed to be going well. Windows Calibre downloaded and installed fine. With a little bit of finagling I finally got the Windows preferences to point to the same "ebooks" folder that the Mac Calibre had pointed to, made and used. It was a happy few minutes to see all of my ebooks appear in the Windows Calibre main list view.

But when I try to view one of the mobi files I get an error message. It says that Windows cannot recognize the file type? But I'm already IN the Calibre program so I don't understand what I should do to fix that? Any help?? Thanks!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
in the preferences make sure the internal viewer is selected for MOBI
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
That did it, Kovid, thanks! Unfortunately while now it works it does so sooooo slowly that it is actually not any faster then having the Mac version crash a few times in the session. Still, I guess it's more reliable if you live with the wait. Meanwhile, I noted in the other thread that there was an offer of help to you from a Mac developer. Anything happening with that? Have you called anyone at Apple Developer Relations in Cupertino? Maybe they could arrange a loaner machine for you. How long would it take you if you had a Mac? I'm thinking that maybe if it just a couple days thing you might even be able to rent one (and I am sure money could be raised a lot easier for that then buying a Mac outright). ANYway, I sure miss Mac Calibre!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, the incompatibility is not in the calibre code, but in a couple of libraries that calibre uses, so it's not going to be an easy fix.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote