Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Recently switched to Linux

I have recently switched to Linux Mint version "Sylvia" on one of my laptops. I did this because, although I am using Windows 7 at the moment on my main machine, I am trying to prepare for a future without it when it expires in January 2020. I definitely have an aversion to Windows 10 and know I would be miserable if I had to use it.

I downloaded Calibre version 2.55 through the software manager on Linux Mint but cannot find the Calibre preferences section. Does it exist on this platform and if so, can anyone show me how to find it?

One other question, do Calibre plugins work in the linux version?

I suspect I can install Calibre Windows version into a Virtual Box on Linux but I would rather not.

Thank you.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences are in the same place in linux and windows, probably they just scrolled off the right edge of the screen, like the little double arrow at the right end of the toolbar to see them, or press Ctrl+P ANd plugins work on all platforms (most of them anyway)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences are in the same place in linux and windows, probably they just scrolled off the right edge of the screen, like the little double arrow at the right end of the toolbar to see them, or press Ctrl+P ANd plugins work on all platforms (most of them anyway)
Thank you Kovid. You were correct as always. The problem was, as soon as I lost focus on the double arrow in order to click on Preferences the whole toolbar closed back up again so I couldn't see or click on "preferences". I used ctrl/p as you suggested and the Preferences window displayed. In Toolbars & Menus I have removed some of the icons I never use and now all is well. It's probably because my laptop screen is only 12 inches on this HP Elitebook 2570p on which I am using to learn Linux. I like this distro very much so far, and I will eventually use a computer that has a larger screen if I stay with it.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3

I would suggest for you, to install Calibre directly from the official Website, if you want the latest improvements.
(The latest release of Calibre is 3.19.0.)

On Ubuntu (another Linux distribution which I use since around 7 years now) the packet-release is around version number 2.5, too. And it bothered me. xD

Problem: You have to update manually every new Version.
Plus: Latest improvements (for example the Split-Screen).

Sorry for the bad English grammar and the off topic.
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
I would suggest for you, to install Calibre directly from the official Website, if you want the latest improvements.
(The latest release of Calibre is 3.19.0.)
Thank you. I have yet to learn how to install packages without using the "Software Manager" but it is on my list of "things to Learn" and I will research this soon. Then I can install the latest Calibre version with more confidence.

On my Windows 7 machine I always have the latest version of Calibre installed because Kovid makes this so easy from within the application.

Please do not apologise for your English. I found it perfectly understandable and acceptable.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Than I wish you much of fun. It is a fun and stoney way, but in the end, the most people don't want to go back to Windows.

And thank you =)
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Thank you. I have yet to learn how to install packages without using the "Software Manager" but it is on my list of "things to Learn" and I will research this soon. Then I can install the latest Calibre version with more confidence.
All you need to do is follow the Binary install directions found on the Calibre Linux download page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I downloaded Calibre version 2.55 through the software manager on Linux Mint but cannot find the Calibre preferences section. Does it exist on this platform and if so, can anyone show me how to find it?
I use Linux Mint. If it was me I would go to Calibre's site and follow the instructions to install Calibre 3.19 rather than Calibre 2.55 from the repository. Kovid has made the install extremely simple. But you will have to open a terminal. It's basically just cut paste.

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

(Looks like my post was redundant again. Sorry.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Crawford View Post
On Ubuntu (another Linux distribution which I use since around 7 years now) the packet-release is around version number 2.5, too. And it bothered me. xD
My main Linux desktop computer is running Linux Mint 17.1 (Ubuntu 12.04) -- its repository version of Calibre is in the low 1's (I think, I checked it last week but I can't remember exactly what it was, but it's definitely in the 1s, not the 2s). Going to Calibre's site means my laptop and desktop can run the same version (as well as Windows).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I use Linux Mint. If it was me I would go to Calibre's site and follow the instructions to install Calibre 3.19 rather than Calibre 2.55 from the repository. Kovid has made the install extremely simple. But you will have to open a terminal. It's basically just cut paste.

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

(Looks like my post was redundant again. Sorry.)
And once you've done it once, it's even easier than cut-and-paste. You just open your terminal and click the up arrow until the previously pasted command appears.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
Moonraker
Addict

Thank you everyone. You have given me the confidence and information to install the latest Calibre.

About 10 years ago when I first tried Linux it was a hard slog. I found I was just tinkering with it instead of actually doing any work. Help was very hard to come by and disparaging remarks to my questions on Linux forums made me believe I was too dumb to use Linux. I gave up and went back to Windows.

How things have changed. I think Linux mint is a polished and easy to use distro. They have their own forum which can be accessed from the desktop and members seem to be respectful and helpful to my "dumb questions".

There is only one Windows application that I absolutely need so I have installed Windows in the Oracle Virtual Machine and the app runs beautifully. Everything else I need to do I can do in Linux Mint.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thank you everyone. You have given me the confidence and information to install the latest Calibre.

About 10 years ago when I first tried Linux ...
I have been using Calibre on Linux for quite a few years and it works wonderfully.

The vast majority of plugins work on Linux and you need no special skills for installing them.

I have also customized my Calibre by removing the toolbar and replacing it with menus - you can do that in Preferences. Be careful so you do not saw off the branch you are sitting on ;-). Make sure to include link to Preferences to your menu and familiarize yourself with starting the preferences dialog using keyboard shortcut. And do not switch off the toolbar before you make sure the menu works.

As for installing the Calibre directly from Calibre website - you just copy and paste one line into the terminal and your Calibre is downloaded and installed / updated. That is it.
BEWARE! you can do that with Calibre and its official website or other *trusted* sources. Generally, pasting random commands, that you do not understand fully, to the terminal can damage [files on] your computer beyond repair.

There are other programs you can install outside the official repository, for example google chrome, draftsight or others. You click on link on the page and your Mint Linux will simply prompt you for the password and install the app.

There is yet another group of programs not available on Mint Linux out-of-box, where you just add [Ubuntu] PPA to the list of your trusted installation sources, for example for DarkTable software. After adding PPA to your package manager you can install the software from repositories, just as you would install any other Mint Linux software. Again, use caution - you do not want to add too many non-standard repositories, especially if you do not understand the implications. https://askubuntu.com/questions/4983...-do-i-use-them

As you have noticed, if the software is not available directly for Mint Linux, you can use Ubuntu or Debian installation packages and/or sources. Mint Linux is built on Ubuntu and that is built on Debian.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote