Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Contrast is independent of resolution. It is theoretically possible that the PW3 uses a lower cost screen with the same resolution as the Voyage, but lower contrast. There could be different grades of screen, after all.
If anything, I would expect the PW3 to maybe be better. We've seen that with newer batches of Pearl screens. The T1 had a slightly better screen than did the 650 and both used Pearl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But Amazon might well produce a firmware update that will give the PW2 most of the capabilities of the PW3, except for the higher resolution screen, of course.
Yes, Amazon have already said that this will happen. I'd expect to see new firmware for both the Voyage and PW2 very soon after (or perhaps even before) the release of the PW3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
can i get my current kindle PW2 replaced by the new kindle paperwhite
Amazon does by back old electronics, but what they pay is sily money. So it's not worth it. Best to try to sell your PW2. But given that the PW3 is only $119 (US), you'd have to sell the PW2 for (I would guess) around $50.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #79
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon does by back old electronics, but what they pay is sily money. So it's not worth it. Best to try to sell your PW2. But given that the PW3 is only $119 (US), you'd have to sell the PW2 for (I would guess) around $50.
amazon doesnt buy back electronic items in India

I think i will buy a second hand pw3 in case my trick to trick amazon fails mwahahahahaha
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
are they going to phase the older pw2 out? what if my kindle *cough cough* produces a problem that warrants a replacement? in that case would it be possible?
Amazon.com still sell the PW2. But at only $10 I don't see the PW2 selling well at all. The PW3 has a better screen and newer firmware with more features.

So if you are going to need/want to get your PW2 replaced, you'd better hurry up and break it.
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #81
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I think i will buy a second hand pw3 in case my trick to trick amazon fails mwahahahahaha
There aren't any second-hand PW3s yet, as it's not released until 30th June. I doubt that there will be many for some time after that.

Tricking Amazon isn't recommended. They may decide to terminate your Amazon account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, Amazon have already said that this will happen. I'd expect to see new firmware for both the Voyage and PW2 very soon after (or perhaps even before) the release of the PW3.
Any idea if the new firmware will be released for the Kindle (new basic model)?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
amazon doesnt buy back electronic items in India
I would not have given you that answer had you put in your country in your profile. Not putting in a proper location (or no location) does frequently lead to incorrect answers to questions that have answers that can differ by location.[/quote]

Quote:
PW3 is yet released so there cannot be any second hand units available. Release date is not until June 30, 2015.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #84
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Quote:
can i get my current kindle PW2 replaced by the new kindle paperwhite
Amazon does have a trade in program. Unlike last time though where people here were reporting good trade in prices on their gen 1's the current trade in price on a gen 2 is less than $30. I hear that on ebay they are going for around $70
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #85
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Pearl Pink, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
I just read about the "Bookerly font" which will be released on the PW3. Any news if it'll come to the Voyage as well?
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #86
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
I just read about the "Bookerly font" which will be released on the PW3. Any news if it'll come to the Voyage as well?
I'm almost positive it will. As someone said above, I would expect a software update for the Voyage around the release of the new paperwhite.

It would seem a little silly of Amazon to leave the newer features of the PW off their high end Voyage.

I'm glad the PW is being updated but I still love my Voyage and would pay the price difference again. The PagePress buttons are great, its smaller than the PW and I much much much prefer the bezel-less front of the device.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any idea if the new firmware will be released for the Kindle (new basic model)?
I would expect so, yes. Sorry, I tend to forget about the basic Kindle .
Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
It has been repeatedly stated that it will in numerous threads.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #89
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Will it go oos?
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
Will it go oos?
I have absolutely no idea what that question means. What does "oos" mean?