Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Any tips for maximizing Fictionwise large transactions?

I recently got a promo email from Fictionwise which gives me a 30% discount on certain books by authors whose books I have bought previously. Even though I have many unread books right now, I am very tempted by this sale. There are three authors whose works especially interest me of the list in the sale. One of them is multiformat and already on sale so this 30% will be in addition. Two others have many books in the series and the per-book cost will be in the $2-3 range each once the eReader 5% rebate, club discount and special 30% off price applies. I also know that if you spend above a certain amount, a 'large transaction' rebate kicks in too. So I could get a whole year's worth of micropay dollars here AND the cost of the books I do get will be quite low.

Has anyone ever just said to themselves 'this is too good a deal to pass up' and gone on a total bender and bought like 100 books at once? Any tips you could give me for maximizing the rebates/discounts/benefits in a case like this? Part of me thinks I am insane to even consider this since I still have almost 100 unrated books in my Fictionwise shelf and at least that many in freebies. On the other hand, with how good a deal this is, with it working out to $2-3 per book, how can I pass it up? I am honestly tempted to celebrate the impending end of camp/my summer course/my move and just go totally nuts and buy like 100 books here.

So...thoughts?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
You need to use paypal/credit card to get the 30% discount, so you can't buy some, then use the micropay to buy the rest since the second purchase wouldn't qualify if you use micropay.

If you hit the large transaction limits you get an extra 10% or 15% micropay, so there is some consolation there.

I'm disappointed in this sale. There are several series I've bought that aren't included in my list. I'd certainly buy quite a few from those series if they were incuded, but as it is I'm only going to pick up a couple of books
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm still sorting through the offer. In my case, I deliberately bought the first of a series that sounded interesting, but I haven't yet read those books, so I'm not sure that I want to buy the rest. If these were like paper books, I could safely buy the sequels and if they didn't appeal to me I could pass them along. With the current terms and conditions for eBooks, I'm stuck with books I later discover that I don't like.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don't do it. A similar (or better) offer will be along before you've finished the 100 books in your current "to be read" pile.

(Speaking as one whose "to be read" pile is well over 200, and possibly approaching 300. Do as I say, not as I did!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I recently got a promo email from Fictionwise which gives me a 30% discount on certain books by authors whose books I have bought previously. Even though I have many unread books right now, I am very tempted by this sale. There are three authors whose works especially interest me of the list in the sale. One of them is multiformat and already on sale so this 30% will be in addition. Two others have many books in the series and the per-book cost will be in the $2-3 range each once the eReader 5% rebate, club discount and special 30% off price applies. I also know that if you spend above a certain amount, a 'large transaction' rebate kicks in too. So I could get a whole year's worth of micropay dollars here AND the cost of the books I do get will be quite low.

Has anyone ever just said to themselves 'this is too good a deal to pass up' and gone on a total bender and bought like 100 books at once? Any tips you could give me for maximizing the rebates/discounts/benefits in a case like this? Part of me thinks I am insane to even consider this since I still have almost 100 unrated books in my Fictionwise shelf and at least that many in freebies. On the other hand, with how good a deal this is, with it working out to $2-3 per book, how can I pass it up? I am honestly tempted to celebrate the impending end of camp/my summer course/my move and just go totally nuts and buy like 100 books here.

So...thoughts?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Has anyone ever just said to themselves 'this is too good a deal to pass up' and gone on a total bender and bought like 100 books at once?
My thoughts on this is that Fictionwise always has a sale going on, some good, some not as good, and some entirely spectacular. So, if you've got a bunch of unread books still, maybe don't go hog wild this time around. Buy a couple or a handful, then wait for the next sale that includes these titles. It could be next week, it could be 2 months, but you can bet this isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I'm very wary of fictionwise sales myself, because I know if I didn't check myself I could easily buy more books than I'd ever be able to read.
So my main idea about it is: it's only a good deal if you actually get to read the books. If not, then it's just wasted money, even if the price was cheap for a book.

If I were in your place and I bought a really large number of books at this sale, I know I would buy a large number of books at the next sale, and so on, and in the end I'd never get to read them all.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
I got one of these 30% deals not long after I joined fictionwise and bought about 30 books. About 2 weeks later they had a 50% sale on. Not a happy puppy!
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I will pass by on this sale. Too many books to read as it is...

I'm trying to cut down on my fictionwise sales, at least for the summer, until I've bought that e-ink device...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
As mentioned upthread, there's always a sale at Fictionwise. So if any of the books are ones that you think you'll want to read in the next month or so, it's a good idea to grab those. But if not, if you wait around, there'll be another sale.

I'm with the buywise club, so I try to do as much as possible when they do the (roughly annual, although I think I've seen it twice in one year) 100% rebate sale. Then I'll supplement with 50% sales if needed, but I try to keep the micropay moving
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, everyone. I did decide to complete one series, and got a handful of Star books too---the $4.99 ones, not the $8+ ones You're right, there is always another sale and I have been adding stuff to my wishlist often. Normally, I do a 100% rebate book every month or so (that's about how often one comes up which interests me) and use that to fund other purchases.

I have about $65 in micropay right now. I am thinking of getting a subscription to Ellery Queen or Alfred Hitchcock but I may wait until January as I have a ton to read right now. What I am waiting for is a free club membership. I bought the last one on 100% rebate (i.e. I paid the club fee and then got it all back) and am due for reneweal soon. I am hoping if I wait long enough, they will offer me a deal to renew it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
As mentioned upthread, there's always a sale at Fictionwise.
Reminds me of the guns shop nearby. They always have a 'Blue Light Special' going on...whatever gun you pick up in the shop is the 'Blue Light Special' that day.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote