Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #46
Wingsnail
Wingsnail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3 Manga Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It would be nice to be able to tell people how to find the serial port connections.
Without seeing pictures of the board, I can not say they are the same as the lower capacity PW3.

I'm with my pw3-32 now, but it seems I can't find anything relating to an eMMC part number over the exterior, what would it look like? There are information like FCC ID/MODEL NO./IC on the bottom of the back side.
Wingsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsnail View Post
I'm with my pw3-32 now, but it seems I can't find anything relating to an eMMC part number over the exterior, what would it look like? There are information like FCC ID/MODEL NO./IC on the bottom of the back side.
It would be on the inside, on the part itself.
Which might be covered by a metal cover.
If it does have a cover, do not try to remove it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #48
Wingsnail

Quote:
It would be on the inside, on the part itself.
Which might be covered by a metal cover.
If it does have a cover, do not try to remove it.

Is it something like this?

I would rather not to disassemble it, as I have no experience with it at all. Is there any other way to get the number you need?

BTW, I'm a bit confused on step 4 - 7 about installing *.bin files into the device, such as which installer to be used or how to use an installer.

However, I'm guessing that according to coplate's posts, only the first 1-3 steps require to be done at first booting up. So maybe we can get back to the following steps later.

Last edited by Wingsnail; 08-08-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice picture. That is the e-ink waveform storage device.
Do not try to disassemble it any more than you have.
Some pictures of the motherboard would be nice.

If you use the 'advanced editor' there is a section below the text entry box where you can manage attachments.
The motherboard pictures will be too big to in-line, you will have to attach them.

If you can see a column of smilies to the right of this entry box, you are using the advanced editor.
If not scroll down a bit an click the "Go Advanced" button.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #50
Wingsnail

Quote:
Nice picture. That is the e-ink waveform storage device.
Do not try to disassemble it any more than you have.
Some pictures of the motherboard would be nice.

If you use the 'advanced editor' there is a section below the text entry box where you can manage attachments.
The motherboard pictures will be too big to in-line, you will have to attach them.

If you can see a column of smilies to the right of this entry box, you are using the advanced editor.
If not scroll down a bit an click the "Go Advanced" button.
I haven't done any disassembling yet, the picture above was found online about disassembling an original pw3. Mine is still remain as brand new at this stage.
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #51
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsnail View Post
<image>Is it something like this?

I would rather not to disassemble it, as I have no experience with it at all. Is there any other way to get the number you need?

BTW, I'm a bit confused on step 4 - 7 about installing *.bin files into the device, such as which installer to be used or how to use an installer.

However, I'm guessing that according to coplate's posts, only the first 1-3 steps require to be done at first booting up. So maybe we can get back to the following steps later.

Hi Wingsnail.

The "first boot" stuff is what I am sending you Private messages about, that bay be able to help us make new jailbreaks.

When I am talking about steps 1-8, it is referring to this post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

Each step will have a "Spoiler: Show" button that gives you more details about why each step is important, and what files to use.

For your PW3-32, it's not written in there exactly, so here are the specifics of step 1-8 for you.

1. Positively identify the nickname of your Kindle model from the serial number. Yours according to your PM is "Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2016) WiFi, 32GB (Japan)"

2. Prepare your Kindle for running an earlier version of the firmware. Because your device is brand new, you can skip this step. If you had it filled with books you would do this step.

3. Download your model's initial factory firmware image to your computer. This is where I will give you my custom made image, instead of downloading one that we know works.

4. transfer the initial factory image from your computer to your Kindle. This is the first time you will need to have the kindle running. you can do this after you finish the steps I messaged you. This is where you will put the file I will give you called "update_PW3_5.7.4_5.8.10_scratch_good.bin" onto the kindle, using the usb drive your kindle shows up on on your PC.

< Now there are instructions to go to "settings", and use "update your kindle", and then wait patiently, if it doesn't finish in 20 minutes, don't do anything else with it, just come back here and describe what is happening. >

5. Download and install the current version of Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break. The instructions on what to download, and how to install it are in that main thread, under the "Spoiler: Show" on step 5.

6. Download and install the current 'hotfix'. you will need to download my version here "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.b in": https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5

7. You can now update your Kindle to a newer firmware version, the jailbreak will survive. You can download this one directly from amazon, and install it the normal way.
Spoiler:

1. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
2. Place the downloaded update_*.bin file in the topmost, visible level of USB storage (alongside of /documents).
3. Eject and/or Safely Remove (term depends on OS) the Kindle, USB storage.
4. Remove the USB cable.
5. Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle
6. Confirm
7. Wait

8. This is where you install all the "tweaks" that you want to run on your kindle. In your case, this would be the epub reader you want to use.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #52
Wingsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Hi Wingsnail.

The "first boot" stuff is what I am sending you Private messages about, that bay be able to help us make new jailbreaks.

Each step will have a "Spoiler: Show" button that gives you more details about why each step is important, and what files to use.

For your PW3-32, it's not written in there exactly, so here are the specifics of step 1-8 for you.

1. Positively identify the nickname of your Kindle model from the serial number. Yours according to your PM is "Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2016) WiFi, 32GB (Japan)"

2. Prepare your Kindle for running an earlier version of the firmware. Because your device is brand new, you can skip this step. If you had it filled with books you would do this step.

3. Download your model's initial factory firmware image to your computer. This is where I will give you my custom made image, instead of downloading one that we know works.

4. transfer the initial factory image from your computer to your Kindle. This is the first time you will need to have the kindle running. you can do this after you finish the steps I messaged you. This is where you will put the file I will give you called "update_PW3_5.7.4_5.8.10_scratch_good.bin" onto the kindle, using the usb drive your kindle shows up on on your PC.

< Now there are instructions to go to "settings", and use "update your kindle", and then wait patiently, if it doesn't finish in 20 minutes, don't do anything else with it, just come back here and describe what is happening. >

5. Download and install the current version of Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break. The instructions on what to download, and how to install it are in that main thread, under the "Spoiler: Show" on step 5.

6. Download and install the current 'hotfix'. you will need to download my version here "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.b in": https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5

7. You can now update your Kindle to a newer firmware version, the jailbreak will survive. You can download this one directly from amazon, and install it the normal way.
Spoiler:

2. Place the downloaded update_*.bin file in the topmost, visible level of USB storage (alongside of /documents).
4. Remove the USB cable.
6. Confirm
7. Wait

8. This is where you install all the "tweaks" that you want to run on your kindle. In your case, this would be the epub reader you want to use.
That's really helpful. Now I will focus on the image copy first, then wait for your opinion about which "custom factory firmware image" to go, the one you give me or the one copy from the device.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #53
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Hi Wingsnail.

Spoiler:

4. Remove the USB cable.
6. Confirm
7. Wait

Hi coplate,

My PW3-32 is now running on 5.8.7 (3095600028). Can I use your firmware to jailbreak it?
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote