Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Is this possible? ID referencing book in other Calibre library?

Hi all,

I've been searching the forum if this was possible, I could not find a reference in the manual and in general I found it difficult to find information on this.

In the ID field of a book you can enter such references as goodread: , ff:, asin: etc.

Is it possible in this way to reference a book in another calibre library?

I was hoping to find support for something like

calibre:/library_name/book_id
or
calibre:/library_name/uuid

but sadly this this does not seem to work
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
No, don't think so. But how would you expect to use this reference?

Perhaps that could be achieved some other way?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
No, don't think so. But how would you expect to use this reference?

Perhaps that could be achieved some other way?
I would like to be able to either open the referenced book/magazine itself or the book details window but without first needing to switch to that library
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
I would like to be able to either open the referenced book/magazine itself or the book details window but without first needing to switch to that library
Another reason for Virtual Libraries (no need to close, just turn off the filter).

BUT...

Calibre still can't link between 2 records. You must use Tags, series or Authors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
@At_Libitum - If its only for the purposes of reading the 'related book' from within the context of the 'current book' you could put a link to a 'related book' format file in Comments of the 'current book'.

Recent changes to the Insert Link feature in the Comments Editor make this a 'walk in the park'. The related book doesn't have to be in the same library, in fact it doesn't have to be in any library, or even on your own computer - its a URI so it can reference a local file, your FTP account, a PDF on a webpage. If its a reference to an image then it will be shown as such in book details

The attachments should contain enough "how to do" info

Take heed of the warning in the Insert Link dialogue, To which I would add - "it applies to any link, if a web site, or ftp server is down or disappears then the link wont work, site re-engineering can also make links invalid ".

If you don't want to pollute Comments with links, or you don't want to put them there in case you download comments from wherever, which will overwrite them; then add a comments like custom column and put the links in there.

This is what I do in practice, custom comments also have the advantage that they can be 'shown' and edited from the spreadsheet/book list - I show them as an icon with no text (looks better). You can show custom comments columns in Book Details like any other column.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	112649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	112650  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
At_Libitum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@At_Libitum - If its only for the purposes of reading the 'related book' from within the context of the 'current book' you could put a link to a 'related book' format file in Comments of the 'current book'.
[snip]
[/snip]
This is what I do in practice, custom comments also have the advantage that they can be 'shown' and edited from the spreadsheet/book list - I show them as an icon with no text (looks better). You can show custom comments columns in Book Details like any other column.

BR
Thanks for the suggestion, to have at least the information someplace I've opted to go with the custom comment column, although because of the portable nature of my setup, file associations don't work so opening the book in Calibre's viewer is not working.

The reason I was hoping for an id method to exist is because then Calibre would have known how to handle the protocol and opened the viewer directly. Sadly since I can have only one clickable uri in the IDs field, I can't use that to create a clickable reference because I have the uri part exclusively reserved/in use to have a clickable entry for the source of the ebook

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.