Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Meido
Meido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Trying to Clean, Organize and Shrink Library

So, I have a large number of ebooks scattered around my computer. I've been trying to get them organized and centrally located, but due to space limitations I've run into a lot of issues. On top of this, even though I have taken active steps to stop it many many duplicates have been created. I've even taken steps to remove the duplicates, but somehow new ones periodically keep popping up.

I would like to try to use Calibre to manage them, but there are a number of problems/issues I'm having.

First, since I have limited storage space as it is, the fact that Calibre wants to create duplicates of the files loaded into it causes issues. Also since I have duplicates I'm trying to hunt down and remove, I would be forced to create duplicates of files I don't even want in the first place.

Second, I can't conveniently load all my books into Calibre; it has a tendency to lockup and freeze in the process. I'm not certain if it is being overwhelmed with the number of files or if maybe there is something wrong with some of my files and it is causing errors or something in Calibre. I would test this properly, but again my "library" is so big, disorganized and scattered that trying to actively parse it into Calibre requires more than I can muster.

I was wondering if you fine folks had any suggestions or insight into some of the issues or how to address them.

Meido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
First thing you should do is get all of your ebooks in one place.

Second thing you should do is get some sort of duplicate file finder. Dunno what your OS is but for linux, there is a program called fdupes. Something like that that will scan your files for binary duplicates.

Third thing is to use the scripts at https://github.com/na--/ebook-tools to get the file names and such of your books ready.

Then import. Do it in stages, all the A's, all the B's, etc.

I don't know anything about windows so it'll be up to you and others to translate.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Add eBooks to the library in small batches. Also, for Calibre is a plugin called Find Duplicates that will help you weed out the duplicates.

Once you've added, delete the eBooks you've added that are not in the library. Then you can keep adding until done and then you can weed out the duplicates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Ramo
Enthusiast
Ramo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five wordsRamo can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo TouchC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
First thing you should do is get all of your ebooks in one place.

Second thing you should do is get some sort of duplicate file finder. Dunno what your OS is but for linux, there is a program called fdupes. Something like that that will scan your files for binary duplicates.

Third thing is to use the scripts at https://github.com/na--/ebook-tools to get the file names and such of your books ready.

Then import. Do it in stages, all the A's, all the B's, etc.

I don't know anything about windows so it'll be up to you and others to translate.
Man, that's what I miss from the old times of internet when there were more people in forums than in social media: You find what you didn't even knew you were looking for!

Great Script, super useful specially since it is hard to find good - and understandeble -
linux tips.

Thaks a lot!
Ramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Hi Meido,

You might also want to give BookFusion a try. You will be able to easily drag and upload your eBooks.

*Duplicates will automatically be removed once they are the same format
*Limited space for free accounts but unlimited for premium readers
*Organize and manage your entire eBook collection
*Sync your eBooks across all devices, iOS, Android & Web

More information is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205476

PS: Founder of BookFusion. Please feel free to send us any additional feedback and suggestions.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote