Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, there's an issue w/ 3.x-on-a-DX where the searchbar usbnet command isn't working.

So, how were you trying to enable USBNet?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #62
SoNic67
SoNic67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I have dropped the kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r12672 in the Kindle folder, like any other update, but the "update" in Kindle Menu is grayed.
It took the jailbreak update though...
That's why I was looking to revert back the 2.5.8 firmware using the "prepared" files (by your last software).

Last edited by SoNic67; 12-19-2015 at 12:49 PM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
I have dropped the kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-r12672 in the Kindle folder, like any other update, but the "update" in Kindle Menu is grayed.
It took the jailbreak update though...
That's why I was looking to revert back the 2.5.8 firmware using the "prepared" files (by your last software).
It isn't "like any other update" -
you don't see the characters "update_" in the file name do you?

That file is an archive of USBnetwork packages for various different devices.
Open it and use only the one that matches your device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #64
SoNic67

Sorry, exact name is : Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin at 4960kB.
I got it from yifanlu blog...

LE: I tried now with the one posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
That worked...

Now. Back to my resolution I need to SSH or Telnet into this thing?
If I do this, it still connects as USB storage:
Quote:
Type ;debugOn and press Return. Note the semicolon at the beginning of the command; you can produce it by using the Sym key. Next, tap Del again. Type `usbNetwork and press Return. This command starts with a backtick, which you also produce via the Sym key. Make sure that it's a backtick, not a single quotation mark. Once you have that, tap Del one last time. Type ;debugOff and press Return.

Great job! Your Kindle DX is now ready to create a virtual network with your PC, over the USB connection. Use the USB cable to connect the Kindle DX to the PC

Last edited by SoNic67; 12-19-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #66
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Quote:
I don't know where to find this, so I will post it here...
I have a DXG that was on 2.5.8 initially. I have updated to 3.1 and in that process I saved the "output" folder content on a couple of safe locations. It contains "rootfs.img" (409624 kB) and "update_restore-os.bin" (285429 kB).
After that I have updated to 3.3.

Now all is working. Startup is sluggish, but I am fine with that. My issues is that I have a nagging feeling that the actual display resolution might be lowered from 2.5.8. I have a pdf file with graphics and the small text it looks "broken", but I don't have a picture of hot it looked before.
USB Network doesn't seem to wok on my DXG.

How can I go "back" to 2.5.8 to actually visually check this issue?
Hi-

So you don't have a bricked DX.

I also have a DXG with the yifanlu upgrade to 3.1 and feel your DXG is fine. The Amazon pdf reader is much better with 3.1 than the 2.5.8. However if you really need a good pdf reader then you should try the kpv here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047
The upgrade to 3.1 also gives a better browser except that is no longer useful because everybody is now using TLS so the 3.1 can no longer find many old-fashioned pre-TLS sites to browse anyway.

If you really want to return to the 2.5.8 then just leave the DXG in usb-storage mode and put your update_restore-os.bin in the top directory. Then go into settings and run 'update your kindle' to restore the 2.5.8 OS. You could also use the rootfs.img from 2.5.8 with the yifanlu kernel restore features except that is not as easy. Please read the README file in the kindleupdater.zip you used to create the 3.1 upgrade bin.

I think the DX is the best eInk ereader of all. The low 128M RAM can be a problem in some cases. I recommend using the kpv with either 2.5.8 or 3.1 for reading pdfs or reading epubs. The fonts can be changed easily. The only problem is the kpv lacks support to pop-up the dictionary during reading like the Amazon mobi reader. So please try kpv and avoid the Amazon pdf software.

Also, to use the usbnet in 3.1 just change the `usbNetwork 2.5.8 style command to ~usbNetwork in the search bar.
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #67
SoNic67

Thank you all for the replies. I am novice in this and you are very helpful.
Basically I am not sure that version 3.3 that I am running now has the right resolution settings as it was in 2.5.8, and USBnetwork didn't seem to work, that's why I was wanting to go back.
My home network in on the same IP range (192.168.2.x), I am not sure if I can use the Kindle network on my PC without disabling the network first. I'll be back soon
LE: The search command didn't work. But I have renamed the file "DISABLED_auto" to "auto" and started the Kindle in USBnetwork mode. I did manage to SU and navigate to the USBnetwork folder and mv the file back to "DISABLED_auto" but I didn't know how to restart the Kindle via su... Managed to restarted hard.
Not elegant, but worked.
Now, what's the location of the fb.modes ?

Last edited by SoNic67; 12-19-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #68
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Quote:
Now, what's the location of the fb.modes ?
This doesn't seem to concern a bricked DXG so is just messing up the original post. Please start a new thread.

I imagine there is nothing wrong with the /etc/fb.modes as long as your display is full screen and not just a partial screen. I suspect there is just something peculiar about the pdf file you are testing.

In linux:
;debugOn
~usbNetwork
(now plug in usb cable)
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1 up
telnet 192.168.2.2
cd /etc
more fb.modes

In windows:
way too difficult
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #69
SoNic67

Quote:
Originally Posted by donB006 View Post
This doesn't seem to concern a bricked DXG so is just messing up the original post. Please start a new thread.
I can brick it if that helps

I'm on Windows, with putty as telenet/ssh. I have opened another thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268732
Old 12-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I can brick it if that helps

I'm on Windows, with putty as telenet/ssh. I have opened another thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268732
Once again -
Wrong forum!
The parent forum does not deal with Kindle modifications, only this one.

Use the 'report post' button on it and ask a moderator to move it to this forum.

Last edited by knc1; 12-20-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #71
BugDroid
BugDroid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
hi

I think I messed up...
someone here who would be willing to share "rootfs.img" and "update_restore-os.bin" for a DXG B900?

I would REALLY appreciate it...
BugDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #72
as2003
as2003 began at the beginning.

Device: DX B004
I've managed to brick my DX; I was carelessly moving some libraries around and accidentally overwrote /lib/libc.so.6

usbnet immediately dropped my connection and the UI on the kindle became completely unresponsive.

I was able to power cycle the DX by pulling out the battery, and I could get into recovery mode after than and upload Update_kindle_2.5.8_B004.bin, but now it's frozen on the "Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up" screen.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted!
as2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, dxg, graphite, kindle dxg