Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Connecting the iLiad to Internet

My iLiad is on its way, and I am excited about installing and using a browser. My question is whether I can connect it via a Ethernet cable to my ADSL Modem (the same modem that provides Internet connection to my computer). I don't have a router. Is a router indispensable if I want to connect the iLiad to the Internet? Are there alternatives? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
My question is whether I can connect it via a Ethernet cable to my ADSL Modem (the same modem that provides Internet connection to my computer). I don't have a router. Is a router indispensable if I want to connect the iLiad to the Internet?
The iLiad needs a router. It might be possible to directly connect to your ADSL Modem (because your ISP has a router at the other end of the line), but these are often locked to a single device (in this case your existing computer).

Wireless routers are not very expensive ($50), Amazon describes one as "All-in-one Internet-sharing router, 4-port switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) access point". It connects to your ADSL modem and provides access via wired Ethernet or WiFi to the rest of your devices. You will probably want to use WiFi for the iLiad because the wired connection is via the travel hub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You will probably want to use WiFi for the iLiad because the wired connection is via the travel hub.
It could be a book edition of course

OT (ish), I'd love it if someone could explain the appeal of browsing the internet on an iLiad? It just strikes me as a totally inappropriate device for the job, as it's slow, black and white, and difficult to enter text into.

I can see the appeal of the form factor, and can see that being black and white won't matter for some web pages, but beyond that is this a case of wanting to do it "because I can"?

I'm not knocking people for wanting it, just trying to understand why. This is also not the same as having internet access on the iLiad - that's fine for the appropriate use such as browsing and downloading content, but for general web browsing?

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Mmmm... I thought it would be rather cool to be in a public parc, reading on your iliad, and quickly checking on the net if you received any important email. Doesn't mean that you have to reply with the iLiad, but it can be useful to know.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Mmmm... I thought it would be rather cool to be in a public parc, reading on your iliad, and quickly checking on the net if you received any important email. Doesn't mean that you have to reply with the iLiad, but it can be useful to know.
Well cool I'd agree, but I think a mobile phone would be much better at that, especially as you'd be lucky to find a park with a wifi connection (or at least you would here in the UK).

Mark
Old 05-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRPenn View Post
It could be a book edition of course

OT (ish), I'd love it if someone could explain the appeal of browsing the internet on an iLiad? It just strikes me as a totally inappropriate device for the job, as it's slow, black and white, and difficult to enter text into.

I can see the appeal of the form factor, and can see that being black and white won't matter for some web pages, but beyond that is this a case of wanting to do it "because I can"?

I'm not knocking people for wanting it, just trying to understand why. This is also not the same as having internet access on the iLiad - that's fine for the appropriate use such as browsing and downloading content, but for general web browsing?

Mark
I agreed to pay $100 more (+another 50 for the wireless router) to be able to browse the internet on this device. Of course, for most web pages this is awkward. But I'm a grad student and I read a lot from plato.stanford.edu or other online encyclopedias, which are mostly text. When you read a 40 page article that takes several hours, the computer screen is not a good choice. Printed paper is better, but I already have tooooo much of that. In this respect, the iLiad is ideal.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Yes that makes sense, though unless you can read offline I'd guess battery life would be an issue? Maybe not; I've never had wifi switched on for that long!!

Are these articles you can download and print to pdf? That'd be my preferred method, as then you can literally read anywhere, not just where there's a connection available.

Mark
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
golagha
Enthusiast
golagha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad Black
We use win 2003 Server. we have hub (switch) in our LAN, I used an Ethernet Cable to connect iLiad to internet. I used 4 wired profiles in iLiad as followings:
1. Wired Auto (everything auto, no proxy, set to DHCP and...)
2. Wired Auto with proxy (DHCP set with entering proxy information from site admin)
3. Wired static (static IP with no proxy setting)
4. Wired static with proxy (static IP with proxy information)

none of them worked! I have connected the iLiad to hub.
I pressed the connection key for 2 seconds and it started to check all profile and all of them failed!!!

I have read in iLiad electronic manual that : "connection to a network is simple as one click"!!!! but I am working for a day to do this "one click"

any body has any idea?

Regards
golagha is offline   Reply With Quote