Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
@Gregg...If you're unsure of whether your published epubs have KFX enabled then you should just run your original, uploaded epub versions through Kindle Previewer 3(KP3). And if those epubs have "Enhanced Typsetting" enabled in KP3 then they will be converted and displayed as KFX on any Kindle ereader that can currently handle KFX. Here is a general list of Kindle ereaders that can handle KFX:

* Kindle E-readers 6th generation and newer
* Fire tablets 3rd generation and newer
* Kindle for iOS v4.9 or newer (iOS Versions: iOS 7, iOS 8 and iOS 9)
* Kindle for Android v4.18.0 or newer (Android Versions: Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow)
Source: KJ Enhanced Typsetting

If you can't run KP3 on your Linux computer then here's another idea. If you've already purchased and downloaded author copies of all your ebooks and downloaded them onto your Kindle reader(s) -- which must also have KFX capability(see list above) -- then just find the actual book file on your Kindle Tablet and check if it has a ".azw" or ".azw3" extension. If your ebook has the ".azw" extension then it has been converted to KFX. But if it has the ".azw3" extension then it will be formatted as KF8.
Thanks Bill. I checked my Kindle Touch 7 ereader. Some the books have .kfx and .azw3 extensions (in separate files). Some just have .kfx extensions.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #32
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not to oversimplify things, but he can also simply upload an ePUB at KDP, and then download the resulting MOBI. Granted, it's cumbersome, but it does work.

And if he has KP2.9xx, that method still works, too; drag an ePUB onto it and it will convert. Or, there's always Kindlegen, which is still lurking around someplace; we use it in batches, yet, here.

Hitch
Here's my work flow:

I take my Sigil-made epub, delete the html cover, make sure the cover in the Images folder is tagged as cover and that it's in the .opf. Then I run the .epub through Kindlegen 2.9 in the terminal of my computer. I take the resulting .mobi and upload that to KDP.
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #33
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Here's my work flow:

I take my Sigil-made epub, delete the html cover, make sure the cover in the Images folder is tagged as cover and that it's in the .opf. Then I run the .epub through Kindlegen 2.9 in the terminal of my computer. I take the resulting .mobi and upload that to KDP.
That's what we do, too. And, because I'm superstitious, I also change the title of the 'text' guide item to "Start Reading" just on account o 'cause.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Here's my work flow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
That's what we do, too. And, because I'm superstitious, I also change the title of the 'text' guide item to "Start Reading" just on account o 'cause.

Albert
That's pretty much our workflow on less-complicated files. Some of our work goes through Kindlegen, as packaged HTML, but this-->ePUB/revised/KG-->is a workflow that's worked for us since it was just me and Cap, in 2010. :-) We sometimes drop 'em on KP3, but...{shrug}. SSDD.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:

Albert
Hi Albert.

Not sure what you mean by that. And how would I do that? And is it necessary?
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Albert.

Not sure what you mean by that. And how would I do that? And is it necessary?
Gregg:

Don't worry about it. Albert is talking about setting the SRL (Start Reading Location), that's all. We used to set it by assigning the TEXT meta attribute to the HTML file where we wanted the SRL to open. What Albert is saying, with some humor, is that due to his superstitious nature, he's changing that from "Text" to "Start Reading," but in my experience, no, that doesn't help. ;-)

Hitch
Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Gregg:

Don't worry about it. Albert is talking about setting the SRL (Start Reading Location), that's all. We used to set it by assigning the TEXT meta attribute to the HTML file where we wanted the SRL to open. What Albert is saying, with some humor, is that due to his superstitious nature, he's changing that from "Text" to "Start Reading," but in my experience, no, that doesn't help. ;-)
That's exactly right. IIRC somewhere back in the mists of time, that was "supposed" to be the recommended technique. I'm not sure it ever really worked, and now I don't think anybody but Amazon knows how the SRL is determined. It happens after you upload your mobi file to KDP. Rumor has it that if anyone actually DID figure out the algorithm, (there are many who have claimed to have done it -- see the kindle forums on MR) then Amazon would stealthily change it. (a la "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.")

So yeah, that's why I refer to it as my "superstition." But at least it doesn't hurt

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
That's exactly right. IIRC somewhere back in the mists of time, that was "supposed" to be the recommended technique. I'm not sure it ever really worked, and now I don't think anybody but Amazon knows how the SRL is determined. It happens after you upload your mobi file to KDP. Rumor has it that if anyone actually DID figure out the algorithm, (there are many who have claimed to have done it -- see the kindle forums on MR) then Amazon would stealthily change it. (a la "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.")

So yeah, that's why I refer to it as my "superstition." But at least it doesn't hurt

Albert
If I did know....it would go with me to my grave. :-) Because, no kidding, it's true, the moment you say something...it changes.

Hitch
Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #39
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay, then. Thanks guys. One less thing to worry about!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #40
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
Update: The plugin has been changed in v0.1.9:

* Added error warning dialog if any image filenames contain spaces.

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-28-2019 at 11:44 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #41
Photocoen
Photocoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
Heya all,

I've installed this plugin and tested it on my EPUB2 file and it works like a charm.

But on my EPUB3 file, it gives me a warning that this plugin doesn't work on EPUB3 files...

Why doesn't it work on EPUB3 files?
Photocoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocoen View Post
Heya all,

I've installed this plugin and tested it on my EPUB2 file and it works like a charm.

But on my EPUB3 file, it gives me a warning that this plugin doesn't work on EPUB3 files...

Why doesn't it work on EPUB3 files?
Because the developer hasn't updated the plugin to work with ePub3.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:44 AM   #43
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@Photocoen...In the old days Amazon used to recommend using EPUB 3 format for fixed layout(aka print replica). But now Amazon currently advises and recommends that you should only create a fixed layout ebook using Kindle Create, which is their own recommended proprietary app for specifically creating fixed layout ebooks(all flavours), reflowable ebooks and paperback books.

And since EPUB 3 ebooks are no longer used and are not permitted for Amazon Kindle upload then there would seem to be little point in making this plugin work for EPUB 3 files. I also know this from helping people on the KDP Community Forum, where authors are still posting problems after using Adobe InDesign and EPUB 3 format for their fixed layout ebooks, which tends to create all sorts of weird and wonderful errors on upload. The solution to all these EPUB 3 upload issues is usually always to use Kindle Create instead, loaded with a properly prepared PDF file for all fixed layout ebooks on Amazon.

Prepare Reflowable eBooks and Print Books with Kindle Create
Prepare Print Replica Books with Kindle Create
Prepare Comic eBooks with Kindle Create

Last edited by slowsmile; 05-02-2023 at 04:11 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:29 AM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Amazon currently advises and recommends that you should only create a fixed layout ebook using Kindle Create

And since EPUB 3 ebooks are no longer used and are not permitted for Amazon Kindle upload…
You have stated this before but I have seen no evidence that either of these statements is true.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
@Photocoen...In the old days Amazon used to recommend using EPUB 3 format for fixed layout(aka print replica). But now Amazon currently advises and recommends that you should only create a fixed layout ebook using Kindle Create, which is their own recommended proprietary app for specifically creating fixed layout ebooks(all flavours), reflowable ebooks and paperback books.

And since EPUB 3 ebooks are no longer used and are not permitted for Amazon Kindle upload then there would seem to be little point in making this plugin work for EPUB 3 files.
Minor nit: ePub3 is not only used for fixed layout books and the majority of the epubs I've downloaded in the last year have been ePub3. I have also downloaded quite a few ebooks from Amazon that are contain role and epub:type which are an ePub3 item.

The last 4 times I have downloaded a .kindle.epub (basically an epub with a mass of Amazon oriented media queries), they were ePub3 format.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote