Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #16
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How about a keyboard shortcut to 'go to' the image in the Book Browser (e.g shift+alt+i) so that its Open With could be used.
The current implementation already handles that. You can right click in the name of an image in Code View, select "Open tab for image", the tab image becomes active, and there, you can select "Open with..."
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
The current implementation already handles that. You can right click in the name of an image in Code View, select "Open tab for image", the tab image becomes active, and there, you can select "Open with..."
My suggestion wouldn't open the image in a tab, which you would then have to close, it would give keyboard focus to the image file in the book browser, so you wouldn't have to find it, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-15 092037.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	177151

No idea if it would be easier than adding Open With to the CV context menu.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My suggestion wouldn't open the image in a tab, which you would then have to close, it would give keyboard focus to the image file in the book browser, so you wouldn't have to find it.
I see. Following with your idea, it wouldn't be a bad one to add a new command to the contextual menu (when you do a right click on an image tag) something as "Go to image in BB". Once there one could invoque the command "Open with..."
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sorry. This still all seems like a lot of work for very little reward to me. Images in Book Browser are listed in alphabetical order. Even scrolling through hundreds can't hold anybody up for that long. Just how much of a hurry do we need to be in to open one in an external editor? The image is still going to need to be edited after it's open, I'm assuming. So in the grand scheme of things, how much time will this actually save (how many people)?

As I said, if making this happen was trivial, It'd be done already. But making convenience-only changes to Sigil is almost always going to need to involve negligent work on our part. Especially since I can't imagine that many people finding it useful. Otherwise, our limited time is better spent elsewhere.

I get the desire. I do. And it would be cool if...

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2020 at 07:51 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry. This still all seems like a lot of work for very little reward to me...
To you, there is little reward; things look different from this side. But you are the programmer, so what else can I do except regret it?

But it's strange to me that is possible to open one image in a tab with a right click in an image tag in code view, and it can't be possible to locate that image in the Book Browser tree. Just to locate the image, not to open it, just to locate it. Right now Sigil can jump from the name of a style in the Code View to the style definition in the .css stylesheet. Why is that implemented? Because is comfortable for the user. In the same way, analogously, would be comfortable for the user to jump from the name of an image in the Code View to its place in the BookBrowser.

Having said that, Diap please, do the try to work with hundreds of images and to locate them even when they are ordered alphabeticaly in the Book Browser. You'll see that is not so comfortable as you think. But as I said, you're the programmer and if you can't, you can't (or you can but it's not easy to implement it). But please, don't try to convince me about that is a little annoying thing to locate the name of an image between hundreds (not matter if they are ordered), hundreds of times! Do the try Diap, do the try and you'll see. You can't implement what I asked, ok, I accept that and full stop (I will continue open images in a tab and from there to invoque "Open with..."), but don't say "little reward" without first doing the try working with hundreds of images.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Having said that, Diap please, do the try to work with hundreds of images and to locate them even when they are ordered alphabeticaly in the Book Browser. You'll see that is not so comfortable as you think.
Don't have to. I've done that kind of thing countless times. Finding the image (or any file) in such a situation is not what takes the most time. Editing the image is what takes the most time.

Quote:
Why is that implemented? Because is comfortable for the user.
And how trivial was it to implement? Do you know?

Quote:
but don't say "little reward" without first doing the try working with hundreds of images.
I say "little reward" because I don't believe this is something that will help very many people. Not because I think it's a bad idea. I'm not condemning the idea. I'm just saying the amount of work it will involve to implement, and the small number of people it would please, means that I'm not willing to take it on at this time. If someone else is willing, I'll be happy to merge any reasonably efficient solution that someone comes up with.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DD : there's something amiss with this thread, the forum thread list has this:

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-16 052635.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	177164

When I click on celiapgt I end up at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=55525

In another thread you joked about someone masquerading as you

EDIT: me posting this fixed it Ψ³

BR
Old 02-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That can happen when the most recent post in a thread is in moderation (or it has been soft-deleted). That's why you posting something "fixed" it. Nothing untoward happening, here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #24
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Right now Sigil can jump from the name of a style in the Code View to the style definition in the .css stylesheet. [...] In the same way, analogously, would be comfortable for the user to jump from the name of an image in the Code View to its place in the BookBrowser.
I'm scratching my head a teensy bit...

Currently, you can Right-Click the image in Code View > Open Tab for Image:

Name:	Sigil.Right-Click.Image.Open.Tab.For.Image.png
Views:	13
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	177221

It zooms in and highlights that image in Book Browser:

Name:	Sigil.Open.Tab.Image.png
Views:	14
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	177222

(PS. Always keeping the active file highlighted + in the middle of the Book Browser is one of the reasons I prefer Sigil > Calibre. SO much easier than having to scroll through a potentially giant list.)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I'm scratching my head a teensy bit...

Currently, you can Right-Click the image in Code View > Open Tab for Image:

Attachment 177221

It zooms in and highlights that image in Book Browser:

Attachment 177222

(PS. Always keeping the active file highlighted + in the middle of the Book Browser is one of the reasons I prefer Sigil > Calibre. SO much easier than having to scroll through a potentially giant list.)
I think you've missed the rationale of Ruben's request.

Firstly, if you have Preview enabled, you can already see the image… in context. But, I'm not sure if he mentioned that.

Right clicking the 'image' in CV and selecting Open tab for image so you can open it with an image editor (from the image tab or the image file in the BB) is a couple of steps, and at some stage you're probably going to want to get rid of the image tab - another step. Because he edits books with a lot of images (I think he mentioned 'hundreds') Ruben wanted to avoid, either: a) having to open and close that many image tabs, or b) having to scroll up and down that many images in the Book Browser - he may keep the images collection collapsed. My suggestion of 'going to' the image in the BB was a compromise.

FWIW: I'd opt to have Open With in the right click menu of the image within Preview. I can't recall ever wanting to open an image in a Sigil or calibre editor tab, if I want to do anything with an image I'll always use the image editors I've been using for 'ever'.

Anyway it's moot.

BR