Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #46
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Jellby - curious: in Spanish would you use an em-dash (u2014) '—' or a quotation dash (horizontal bar) (u2015) '―'. In some fonts a quote dash a tad shorter and heavier than an em dash , e.g. TNR
I don't recall ever seeing two different em-dash-like characters in a Spanish book, it's always a single type of dash for dialogue or other uses, and there's no en-dash either, only hyphen, and minus sign (if there's any math). I can't say for sure which Unicode character they use in (printed) books, but I'd use em-dash because of better support and probably better in-text look (as in the particular case of TNR). There are, however, some issues, like lines breaking before/after an en-dash, which should not be allowed in Spanish (except if there is a space) and that the quotation dash should fix.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #47
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I don't recall ever seeing two different em-dash-like characters in a Spanish book, it's always a single type of dash for dialogue or other uses [...] I can't say for sure which Unicode character they use in (printed) books, but I'd use em-dash because of better support and probably better in-text look (as in the particular case of TNR).
While I was researching that "quotation dash" in the previous topic, I went digging through the actual documentation:

"The Unicode Standard, Version 12" (PDF) states this:

Quote:
6.2. General Punctuation > Dashes and Hyphens

[...]

U+2014 em dash is used to make a break—like this—in the flow of a sentence. (Some typographers prefer to use U+2013 en dash set off with spaces – like this – to make the same kind of break.) Like many other conventions for punctuation characters, such usage may depend on language. This kind of dash is commonly represented with a typewriter as a double hyphen. In older mathematical typography, U+2014 em dash may also used to indicate a binary minus sign. U+2015 horizontal bar is used to introduce quoted text in some typographic styles.
But I've never seen one in the wild (although I don't read languages that use that character).

I'm betting it's like the narrow no-break space... not well supported, and hard to type/input... so it gets replaced with a "close enough" character for ease-of-use.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-13-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #48
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks Jellby, curiosity satisfied - cat not dead

I use non-breaking hyphens in things like phone, card and part numbers. If I read a number across two lines I immediately forget it, it's like I lose the rhythm or something.

Transtool's Insert Symbol tool is invaluable for inserting special characters. I have it configured so that Ctrl+Win+S pops a grid of the chars that I want. The best thing about it is that it's available in all applications - from Word to Notepad. It also has a Copy Unformatted Text feature that works in everything.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2020 at 07:38 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote