Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
US Holidays?

Decided not to derail a thread about Bookeen and being French, and holidays etc...

However, I picked up from a couple of Americans I was chatting to on a plane that they don't get a great deal of holidays.

I get somewhere in the region of 6 weeks paid holiday and 1 week unpaid per year in the UK.

How much do Americans generally get? There's no reason behind this apart from general interest.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
First, you'll probably know that the standard meaning for "holiday" here is the equivalent of your "bank holiday". My company observes 8 of those a year (Christmas and either Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas depending on what day of the week it is, New Years Day, Memorial Day in late May, Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day in early September, and two days at Thanksgiving in late November). Years ago, it was common for companies here to also have other days off on Columbus Day, Easter, or Presidents' Day. Instead, my company gives me two "floater" holidays which I can use to take off any two days of the year I wish and for any reason. I would be curious about the number of bank holidays in France and the U.K.

For vacation (what you would call holidays), it is common here to give about two weeks of vacation each year to full-time employees, at least after a year of employment. Many companies, like mine, increase that amount the longer you work with the company. I now get 5 weeks vacation annually because I have over 20 years with the company and when I reach 30 years with them I'll max out at 6 weeks per year.

I should say that business surveys here have discovered that we've been developing a rather nasty habit of not using the vacation we're granted because we're afraid of losing our jobs or getting behind. So of the two weeks of vacation granted to employees, some of that usually goes unused for the average worker here.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
vr, you make me sad. i hope you are using your full 5 weeks.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
vr, you make me sad. i hope you are using your full 5 weeks.
Don't be sad for me, Zee. I almost always use all of my vacation each year. I may have let a couple of days slip over the years because the end of the year is always incredibly busy and I can't carry over vacation into the next year. This year, I have no plans yet but can't wait to blow those weeks doing something fun. How about you, Zee? Have you plans for some time away this year? Afterall, we must save Vera and a Save Vera group weekend in (where is she now?) might be just the trick.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Don't be sad for me, Zee. I almost always use all of my vacation each year. I may have let a couple of days slip over the years because the end of the year is always incredibly busy and I can't carry over vacation into the next year. This year, I have no plans yet but can't wait to blow those weeks doing something fun. How about you, Zee? Have you plans for some time away this year? Afterall, we must save Vera and a Save Vera group weekend in (where is she now?) might be just the trick.
i am glad to hear that.

it's only january, i haven't the slightest idea what kind of vacation plans i might have. talk to me in six months. a Save Vera weekend could be good, although on the other hand getting caught in the middle of bombs and espionage doesn't sound very restful... maybe we could schedule the Save Vera weekend to coincide with Vera's holidays as well ; if anybody needs a break, it's Vera.
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I get two weeks paid vacation, which at my job includes sick days. Then we have off for I think maybe five holidays, and then another two where the office is closed but we don't get paid.

I'm taking my Bahama vacation in March
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I get two weeks paid vacation, which at my job includes sick days. Then we have off for I think maybe five holidays, and then another two where the office is closed but we don't get paid.

I'm taking my Bahama vacation in March
i see your policy is to make the most of what you get ! send us a postcard okay ? i can tell you right now i won't be going anywhere that exotic...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
i see your policy is to make the most of what you get ! send us a postcard okay ? i can tell you right now i won't be going anywhere that exotic...
I normally wouldn't go down there (would much rather go to the UK for two weeks), but my cousin is getting married down there and I could use a vacation.

I'm basically paying a lot of money to sit and read in a more exotic location
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Let's see...

Bank holidays we've got a few.

The day after Easter, the day after Pentacoste, the Ascension of Jesus, the Queens birthday (which can happen on a weekend, which means no day off for those that only work during the day), every 5 years we are free for the celebration of the end of WWII (which usually happens in the weekend, Murphy at work there). And the day after Christmas and New Year's day (which can all be in a weekend).

So, we have 3 days that are free guaranteed, 3 days that can fall in a weekend and 1 that only happens once every 5 years (and can also fall in the weekend).

Beside that, we have the right to 20 days paid holidays a year (based on a 40 hour work week). I work 90% (36 hours a week), so I only have 18 days.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There are no atheists when it comes to booking holydays.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I normally wouldn't go down there (would much rather go to the UK for two weeks), but my cousin is getting married down there and I could use a vacation.

I'm basically paying a lot of money to sit and read in a more exotic location
i can think of worse places to sit and read. enjoy it !
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i can think of worse places to sit and read. enjoy it !
Oh you bet I will It's all inclusive too, so I get to drink all day long for free
Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oh you bet I will It's all inclusive too, so I get to drink all day long for free
nice !! i'm jealous now.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Drink what?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
nice !! i'm jealous now.
I will drink a margarita for you then