Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #586
ElspethB
Groupie
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, PW2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
The screen on the Oasis is beautiful, although there is a very noticeable difference in contrast between it and the Voyage, (Voyage has much better contrast, as many here have noted). I love having more words on screen, and the more 'book-like' appearance that gives. I just don't know if I want three years of obsessing about the weight and cold pointy bits.
I had much the same reaction to holding my Oasis uncovered. An inexpensive MoKo case has made a world of difference. I can now hold the Oasis comfortably one-handed while lying in bed. I fold the front of the case behind the Oasis and rest my thumb near the page turn button, my index finger between the front and back cover, and my other three fingers behind the back cover, much the same way I used to hold printed books. I can now lose myself in my book rather than being constantly aware of the slick metal and sharp edges of the device.

My recommendation: Give a third-party case a try before giving up the Oasis.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #587
Pjama
Addict
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gold Kindle Oasis 2, iPad, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I had much the same reaction to holding my Oasis uncovered. An inexpensive MoKo case has made a world of difference. I can now hold the Oasis comfortably one-handed while lying in bed. I fold the front of the case behind the Oasis and rest my thumb near the page turn button, my index finger between the front and back cover, and my other three fingers behind the back cover, much the same way I used to hold printed books. I can now lose myself in my book rather than being constantly aware of the slick metal and sharp edges of the device.

My recommendation: Give a third-party case a try before giving up the Oasis.
Thanks, I may give this one a try - it's really pretty, too. I'm going to persevere with the Oasis, anyway, there are too many advantages for me to give it up.

I have the official cover, which is reasonably comfy, but it does tend to pop off from time to time.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #588
aklenatlus
Enthusiast
aklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoveraklenatlus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
I finally got the new oasis. I like it, the bigger screen is good and it is really fast and responsive (I come from a Kobo Aura one). I had in the past a kindle voyage which I returned because of the blotchy screen on the upper half of the screen. Unfortunately also this oasis has a pronounced gradient on the right side, which distract me during the reading. I attach a photo asking you if on your opinion my oasis is "normal" or if you think that it would be possible to obtain one with a better screen if I return this one.
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-11-23_10-48-49.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	160260  
aklenatlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #589
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Entirely normal. The lights are on the side where the buttons are, so naturally it’s a little brighter on that side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #590
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O Edition 2
This is my screen at high and medium light intensity. Do you notice anything out of the ordinary?
The green in the middle is my iPhone 6 camera. Looks the same when I take a picture of a piece of paper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	634.6 KB
ID:	160263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	789.9 KB
ID:	160264  
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #591
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
This is my screen at high and medium light intensity. Do you notice anything out of the ordinary?
The green in the middle is my iPhone 6 camera. Looks the same when I take a picture of a piece of paper
The only thing that matters is how it looks to you in person. It will look different in a picture. That picture will look different on another screen. And some people are more sensitive to variations than others.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #592
trekk
Addict
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOA2, KOA, KA1 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklenatlus View Post
Unfortunately also this oasis has a pronounced gradient on the right side, which distract me during the reading.
Thanks in advance
HarryT is right. With the lights on the side a gradient is to be expected. But the gradient shown in your screen looks awful to me. Reading on such a device would be too distracting for me.

I have seen much better screens. As screen quality varies, you might consider an exchange.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #593
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You realise the image has been flipped to emphasise the contrast? As I said, it looks entirely normal to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #594
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You realise the image has been flipped to emphasise the contrast? As I said, it looks entirely normal to me.
The color gradient on that one is strong and noticeable without flipping. (Cover the bottom of the image.) I doubt that is a typical Oasis 2 screen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #595
trekk
Addict
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOA2, KOA, KA1 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do, Harry.

My first KOA2 had a wonderful screen with a very light gradient, I didn't noticed it in the beginning and it didn't troubled me later. Sadly there was a malfunctioning button, so I had to replace it.

The replacement had a screen very similar to the one in the image aklenatlus posted. For me it was too distracting reading on this device. Of course someone else might not have been bothered about it.

So for the time being I am back reading on my KOA ...
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #596
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
I am not so sure about all that gradient thing. For me it is not distracting enough - since it is too easy to get lost in the book. My Oasis looks really even to me, but it does have a gradient like all do. Compared to my PW1, the Oasis feels alot more like a reading device and less than an electronic gadget. So much so that I have been reading more than I should have instead of getting sleep for work.

One big negative is graphic novels. I had to try it out, but not happy how much it drained the battery. Plus it is too much click click click.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #597
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am not so sure about all that gradient thing. For me it is not distracting enough - since it is too easy to get lost in the book. My Oasis looks really even to me, but it does have a gradient like all do.
Me neither, and I even think that mine (couple of posts higher) does have no gradient at all.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #598
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Me neither, and I even think that mine (couple of posts higher) does have no gradient at all.
I can't see a gradient on mine or my husband's either. And they're not from the same batch since they're different versions and were delivered from different locations.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #599
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
the biggest most notable improvement to which nothing else comes close is bumping up the storage from 8mb to 32mb.
The Kobo Aura One (7.8" screen) now has a 32MB version available for sale. Though when the KO2 (no freaking A) was available (not for pre-order, but for actual sale) it was the only Reader with 32MB.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #600
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
You should try cleaning the lense of your iPhone 6 camera. If that doesn't fix the green patch, then you should get the camera fixed as that's not normal and means it's broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote