Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Yehuda
Yehuda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for cheap reader - 100 USD max

Hi guys,
I'm searching for a reader to my mom. It's her first reader but she doesn't has big budget for it - 100 USD max as I wrote, and if there is a cheaper one is even better. The only thing that matter, is that it won't have strong light like smartphone and be reliable (regard to the price - won't stop working after a month or something like that).
I'm not really familiar with the kinds of e-readers, but if there is Chinese cheap and good companies like at smartphones it will be the best answer for me.
Thanks!
Yehuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Does she want it to have a light at all? Which country does she live in? Does she want to be able to read library ebooks on it? (this is a dealbreaker for a lot of people who are on a tight budget.) Are any other features an issue (or a non-issue)?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest a basic Kindle. $79.99 and the best bookstore around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #4
Yehuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does she want it to have a light at all? Which country does she live in? Does she want to be able to read library ebooks on it? (this is a dealbreaker for a lot of people who are on a tight budget.) Are any other features an issue (or a non-issue)?
It will be useful, but not necessary if it cost more. We live in Israel. Library e-books not relevant for her, she download books on PDF and e-pub formats from the web. Not that I know, but from you experience what would be critical?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #5
Yehuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest a basic Kindle. $79.99 and the best bookstore around.
I didn't understand which Kindle model specific you meant.
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehuda View Post
I didn't understand which Kindle model specific you meant.
This one. (Obviously the equivalent at whatever Amazon site is appropriate for you.)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Yehuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This one. (Obviously the equivalent at whatever Amazon site is appropriate for you.)
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Note that a Kindle will not display her existing epub library unless the book are converted - most people here use Calibre. If the epubs have been purchased with DRM applied (Digital Rights Management), that will need to be removed first.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you want to go Amazon and under $100, maybe a refurb Kindle Paperwhite. Your mom may appreciate the nicer screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Here's a link to one of Amazon's certified refurbished Paperwhites.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...Be-reader&th=1

It is refurbished but it comes with the same warranty as a new one. I've bought a few certified refurbished Kindles over the years for myself and my neighbors and I haven't been able to tell any of them from new, except for the packaging, of course. All are still in use by my friends and neighbors.

The Paperwhite has a front light which makes this a lot nicer than the Basic Kindle. It also has a 300 dpi screen. It's the latest model Paperwhite.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Here's a link to one of Amazon's certified refurbished Paperwhites.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...Be-reader&th=1

It is refurbished but it comes with the same warranty as a new one. I've bought a few certified refurbished Kindles over the years for myself and my neighbors and I haven't been able to tell any of them from new, except for the packaging, of course. All are still in use by my friends and neighbors.

The Paperwhite has a front light which makes this a lot nicer than the Basic Kindle. It also has a 300 dpi screen. It's the latest model Paperwhite.

Barry
I agree. That's a pretty good price and it's a much better Reader than the Kindle Basic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, if a refurb is available it's a good choice. They aren't always available, of course.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

In addition, it has a newer screen, so it has better contrast.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In addition, it has a newer screen, so it has better contrast.
And it also has a front light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And it also has a front light.
And it also 300dpi.