Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Kindle paperwhite protection?

I have had a Paperwhite for about two years now. I started out using the Omoton case but took it off one night while reading and never put it back on. I like the feel much better without the case on it. I have been transporting it in a bubble mailing envelope but evidently that was not enough protection. About a week ago I noticed a tear or crack in the screen that casts an annoying shadow when reading at night. My wife knows me all too well so when she purchased the PW she also purchased the two year protection plan along with it. I have received the new reader and installed it back into the Omoton case. I was wondering what others are using for a case? The one I have keeps slipping when holding it with one hand, it is made out of a leather looking hard plastic.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always liked the official Amazon PW cases.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I’ve had a Paperwhite for three or so years now. I opted for Amazon’s leather cover, which I thought was pricey at the time but I went ahead and got it anyway in the true spirit of what the heck. I’ve never regretted it - it has provided good protection and still looks great. It’s not as lightweight as other choices, but that doesn’t bother me. It’s not at all slippery and the cover folds back nicely.

Last edited by Plumadona; 02-18-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added information
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My Paperwhite covers have gone through a few Paperwhites. In my opinion, the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite cover is the best cover made for a Kindle. I detested the cutesy Voyage cover and the third-party covers were made of hard plastic that would slide if you thought about a tilted surface. When I'm eating, I'll prop my Paperwhite against something and without a good tablecloth the hard plastic cases would slide till flat.

My only negative experienc was one sold in a color called persimmon. It collected fingerprints, and mold, like you wouldn't believe. My tan one has been fine in constant use for four years.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
A neoprene cover could be an alternative. Put it in when not in use / moving, remove when you want to use it. Similar in idea to the mailing bubble envelope, but stronger and more protective.

I tried a very cheap one on ebay. It works but it's not the exact size of the PW, it's a bit bigger (would be a nice fit for a kobo h2o maybe). Dunno if there are ones that fit perfectly with the size of the paperwhite.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I use the:

Fintie Folio Case for Kindle Paperwhite - The Book Style PU Leather Cover Auto Sleep/Wake for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Put this into the search bar of your country's Amazon; the one I use is the one which looks like an old book (antique bronze). It's very tough and protective.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-20-2018 at 04:43 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I use the:

Fintie Folio Case for Kindle Paperwhite - The Book Style PU Leather Cover Auto Sleep/Wake for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Put this into the search bar of your country's Amazon; the one I use is the one which looks like an old book (antique bronze). It's very tough and protective.
hmm..

Fintie Folio Case for Kindle Paperwhite - The Book Style PU Leather Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-.../dp/B00IHQKL12

i still indecisive whether to get the cover for PW3 as it is costly. i also don't like it to add too much weight to the kindle.

Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Paperwhite
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Protec.../dp/B01CO4XWDQ

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle.../dp/B007R5YFS4

Last edited by steven168; 03-08-2018 at 01:13 AM.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the one I mean, in Vintage Antique Bronze:

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-...dle+Paperwhite

This looks just like an old book when it's on the Kindle. Also, if you put the kindle into landscape mode the cover will bend back and prop it up while you're reading.

Last edited by BookCat; 03-08-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #9
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Quote:
This is the one I mean, in Vintage Antique Bronze:

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-...dle+Paperwhite

This looks just like an old book when it's on the Kindle. Also, if you put the kindle into landscape mode the cover will bend back and prop it up while you're reading.
how long have you use it? PU letter will peal off? what the weight?

i prefer black.
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-.../dp/B00MN8JL9S
Old 03-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

I've been using it since September 2016 and it's still in very excellent condition, though I've been thinking about buying a different colour of the same design purely for a change.

I'm not sure what you mean by PU letter; there aren't any letters on it, just the embossing.

It does add a little weight to the reader, but that doesn't bother me.

Last edited by BookCat; 03-08-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

This is the review I put on Amazon UK on Sept 2016:

This looks gorgeous on my paperwhite and feel nice to hold, I like the slightly extra weight and bulk. The stitching on mine is perfect and the standard of manufacture is high. I love the way this looks like an old book even to the extent of having embossing on the inside of the cover. I also like the way the cover surrounds my ereader, making the screen look booklike.
Impressed overall.
If I were to be really picky I'd just point out that the colour is much darker than expected; more brown than bronze, but there is an interesting variegation in the colour which makes this look like leather even though it's totally man-made.
When you fit your reader into this cover, take a little time to tuck it in correctly. I've had no problems with crookedness and the paperwhite fits nicely, neither a close nor loose fit
Old 03-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
I've been using it since September 2016 and it's still in very excellent condition, though I've been thinking about buying a different colour of the same design purely for a change.

I'm not sure what you mean by PU letter; there aren't any letters on it, just the embossing.

It does add a little weight to the reader, but that doesn't bother me.
i mean PU Leather will peal off?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

No, nothing has peeled off. The 'leather' is as good as the day I bought it.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
No, nothing has peeled off. The 'leather' is as good as the day I bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-.../dp/B00MN8JL9S

black look nice
Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Steven, it would help people to assist you if you were to fill in your country in your profile. You've told us that you don't live in the US, but you haven't told us where you do live. It's much easier to offer help if we know which country you're in. For example, if I knew that you lived in the UK, I could suggest UK retailers to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote